Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap 2009 F150 with issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 221 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Cheap 2009 F150 with issues

Good evening, everyone!

I'm Tim, and this is my first post (aside from my intro post) about my new-to-me 2009 F150 Super Crew. XLT trim, about 140,000 miles....this thing was street beat and dirt cheap.

I bought this truck about two weeks ago, and am just getting time to start messing with it. I bought it off of the local CL, knowing exactly what was wrong with it before I even called about it. Here's a few pics from the ad:

First off, this guy has the start-up rattle. The wording of the ad told me this right away, and I confirmed it the second I fired it up. However, it has no codes for cam synchonization, no codes for VCT system errors, and no MIL illuminated. It drove very well, with no hitches or misfires, and shifted well, but it does need the slip joint cleaned and relubricated - it's got that bump!

The interior in this truck was absolutely NASTY. Man, it was bad. My wife and I got out in the shop, and thoroughly steam cleaned it, and I'm pretty sure I burned down the steam cleaner in the process. Here's a before and after pic -

So, in the coming months, as I get money, I will be doing the FULL timing job - phasers, chains, tensioners (wanting to go with the cast iron ratcheting ones, if anyone has any advice about that, please feel free to shout), guides, and a new Melling upgrade oil pump. I'm also going to do hoses, belt, water pump and coolant flush, along with a trans service and full tune up.

It also needs both front and rear bumpers, the passenger mirror glass is cracked, and good detail job to get out most of the scratches. I also need a new steering wheel - the one in it is worn all the way to the steel rim on the top of it. Oh, and the left rear seat release latch is broken, so I will have to get one of those for it too....it does not look like fun to change.

But I only gave $4500 for it, so there's room in the budget to bring this truck back to tip top!

This is going to be a LOT of work, and if anyone has tips, tricks, advice, I'm all ears!

Tim
Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

This is like those youtube videos.....I bought a salvage supercar for $75 and fixed it up for only $350,000!!! Look, this armrest is the only part I didn't replace!!

That was definitely a nice price, and it looks rust-free. If you've got the skills to fix all that, it's a great bargain.
The following users liked this post:
UlrichWolf (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

that's one hell of a steam cleaner that can change seats from tan to grey
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
tomt5078 (11-17-2019), UlrichWolf (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
This is like those youtube videos.....I bought a salvage supercar for $75 and fixed it up for only $350,000!!! Look, this armrest is the only part I didn't replace!!

That was definitely a nice price, and it looks rust-free. If you've got the skills to fix all that, it's a great bargain.
Thanks, Spiky! Yeah, it kinda is, LOL...."We're going to jack up the horn, and replace everything else!"

I THINK I have the skills to do all of this. I've built a lot of engines, and done a lot of timing jobs, but never done one on any Mod motor before. I watched FordTechMakuloco's stuff, seems pretty straightforward.

Originally Posted by nineball
that's one hell of a steam cleaner that can change seats from tan to grey
Hahahahaha! Yes, please forgive the automatic white balance on the all-knowing cell phone camera!

Tim
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Col Kurtz: "the Horror, the Horror"

Originally Posted by UlrichWolf
I'm Tim, and this is my first post about my new-to-me 2009 F150 Super Crew. XLT trim, about 140,000 miles....this thing was street beat and dirt cheap.
But I only gave $4500 for it, so there's room in the budget to bring this truck back to tip top!
This is going to be a LOT of work, and if anyone has tips, tricks, advice, I'm all ears!
Wow..what a hobby project..I envy guys like you that can break down and rebuild a truck from front to back.. I wasted my life learning how to do drywall, framing, electrical, concrete and so on..it keeps me busy doing friends RENOS so no time to learn..
" what's under the hood"

Great thread so far..looking fwd to "watching you work"..good luck.
A
The following users liked this post:
UlrichWolf (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 PM

Thanks man!

I've been building and repairing cars of all makes and models for 30 years now, so THIS is what I know.

Houses....ehhhh, I'm still learning, but I have the "rookie mistake" completely covered!

Tim

Quick Reply: Cheap 2009 F150 with issues