Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing an Annoying Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chasing an Annoying Gremlin

Long time lurker here, first time poster. This forum and the knowledge of its users have often saved my butt and wallet. I'm hoping you guys can save me again.

I have a 2009 F150 Lariat 5.4L and she's got a really annoying gremlin. Started about 3 months ago when I noticed the touch screen display was on in the mornings with the doors locked and the keys inside the house. Then I noticed the memory seat function wouldn't work when this was happening and the truck would chime as if the key was left in the ignition, when it was not. It was a very intermittent problem at first but then got to the point I had to jump the truck each morning.

I took the truck to my trusty dealership. Their first step was to replace the APIM. No problems for a couple of weeks, but then the gremlin came back. Next, the technicians replaced the BCM (which included new Accessory Delay Relay, I was told after researching the problem myself). Two months later, the truck is still in the shop and the problem has not been resolved. Repair bills are nearing $1100 so far and at this point I'm not sure where it's going to end. The problem is still intermittent, according to the dealership. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, the battery is always dead the next morning. A battery test determined the battery is fine.

I ask you, great wealth of F150 knowledge that you are, what the heck is going on here?? I have heard of similar issues regarding 2004-08 models but this is a new body style and I am told the problem cannot be similar. At this point I'm not sure what to do. And if the dealership with its "certified" techs can't figure it out, I'm a little concerned where to find someone who can. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any help you can share!

Last edited by MassEditor; 12-27-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Did they replace the ignition?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, sir.
The following users liked this post:
Northernexposure (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

check your fuse panel to see if any moisture getting on it, if you have an alarm look at that also. on the driver side door look at the wire bundle, unwrap it see if you see any black marks. my son was having weird problems with his truck, I checking this out when I found some burnt looking wires. pulled on them and pulled into and the wires were holding moisture. wires bending every time you open and close the door had some chaffing.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Does it have a center console shifter (ala FX4)? There is a switch inside the shifter mechanism connected to the relaese trigger on the shift handle. This switch can fail and it causes certain systems to wake up when the truck is parked. To test it, turn the key on and look at the gear display on the dash. Is the "P" illuminated white or red? It should be red, and turn white when you squeeze the trigger. Release the trigger slowly and it should turn red again. Officially, this switch isn't available and you have to replace the entire shift mechanism, but they actually can be bought privately. I have two spares. I had to change the one in my '13 back in April, and bought a couple extras.
The following users liked this post:
0488FB (12-28-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having a similar issue with a 2014 F150 with the ecoboost. No problems until 3 or four days ago. I went out in the morning ( it had worked great up till this point) and no power at all (open the door no interior lights, cannot use the key fob to open the doors, lock etc.). I put the battery on the charger over night, and it started and ran fine. I had the battery tested and it tested fine. I have an ODBII device that connects to my phone and when the vehicle was running it appeared to be putting out about 14 plus volts (so it appears the alternator is working).

I let it sit for a day and the battery is completely dead again.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
Does it have a center console shifter (ala FX4)? There is a switch inside the shifter mechanism connected to the relaese trigger on the shift handle. This switch can fail and it causes certain systems to wake up when the truck is parked. To test it, turn the key on and look at the gear display on the dash. Is the "P" illuminated white or red? It should be red, and turn white when you squeeze the trigger. Release the trigger slowly and it should turn red again. Officially, this switch isn't available and you have to replace the entire shift mechanism, but they actually can be bought privately. I have two spares. I had to change the one in my '13 back in April, and bought a couple extras.
I just changed this switch out today and it fixed all my problems. This sounds exactly what Perry described. Here is a video I found on YouTube on how to change it out....

Quick Reply: Chasing an Annoying Gremlin