Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my mind about traction control

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Changed my mind about traction control

I have had a 94/07/12 & now a 14 and always hated the traction control system in the new trucks . IE: "they took away all the fun". Being the dumbass I can be on occasion , I had pulled the 2 fuses controlling traction and ABS systems. Anyway this AM heading out and its that nasty foggy/misty just slick enough to really float all the oil and crap on the road to the surface type day, pulled out in traffic and nailed it to merge and the next thing I know "SHTF" Fishtailing back and forth and finally about a 3/4 donut all this in between 3 lanes of traffic before I got it shut down and off the gas- I could just sense those people around me in other cars thinking " what a stupid MF / Darwin award for sure"

Well I didn't hit anyone or the curb or any thing else and didn't hurt the truck but when I got to work I slammed those fuses back in and they will be staying in. 6000 to 7000 lb truck when it steps out tends to go where it wants and not always where you want. My truck schooled me today and it could have been bad lesson learned.
The following users liked this post:
GotHonks? (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by hetman
I have had a 94/07/12 & now a 14 and always hated the traction control system in the new trucks . IE: "they took away all the fun". Being the dumbass I can be on occasion , I had pulled the 2 fuses controlling traction and ABS systems. Anyway this AM heading out and its that nasty foggy/misty just slick enough to really float all the oil and crap on the road to the surface type day, pulled out in traffic and nailed it to merge and the next thing I know "SHTF" Fishtailing back and forth and finally about a 3/4 donut all this in between 3 lanes of traffic before I got it shut down and off the gas- I could just sense those people around me in other cars thinking " what a stupid MF / Darwin award for sure"

Well I didn't hit anyone or the curb or any thing else and didn't hurt the truck but when I got to work I slammed those fuses back in and they will be staying in. 6000 to 7000 lb truck when it steps out tends to go where it wants and not always where you want. My truck schooled me today and it could have been bad lesson learned.
Most people only truly appreciate the systems when they save them from a certain wreck, the rest of the time they think it to be a nuisance.

I am no exception to that rule, the 1st time I was thankful I had ABS happened when some dumbass pulled out in front of me from a side street onto the main hwy where I was doing the speed limit of 55mph and upon seeing me about to T-bone them decided to just stop!!! right in the middle of the road in my lane

I nailed the brake pedal as hard as I could to at least lessen the impact but was able to steer around the idiot and avoid a collision completely, had I been in any other vehicle without ABS I would have slammed them no doubt.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Be prepared for a bunch of posts saying that you can't drive, and need the nanny's. I like the traction control, and think it works well in MOST cases. Yes it has some downfalls, but the positives outweigh the negatives IN MY OPINION
The following 7 users liked this post by MEZERR:
130428 (12-19-2014), 2ndchance (12-18-2014), BCMIF150 (12-20-2014), brucesears (12-20-2014), RLXXI (12-18-2014), volvodoc (12-18-2014), yotehunter (12-20-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm just here to tell the OP he can't drive and needs the nannies.

True story, though...I used to (and still do kinda) hate ABS. And I did until after an almost-wreck a few years ago.

I came over a rise with a bunch of snow to see a schoolbus stuck SIDEWAYS in the road. I tried to stop and I could NOT stop - ABS kicked in. I've often pumped the brakes, used the steering, etc., to stop the truck 'on my dime' but I simply couldn't. So since the truck didn't stop, I had to drive through the minefield of skidded cars and such, waiting for ABS to slow the truck down.

Only a year or so later did it occur to me that if I'd not had ABS in the first place, I'd be just another one of those stuck trucks or cars on the road.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the traction control works pretty well. But I do hate that it kills power and I sometimes forget about it when I know I need to get going "in a hurry". I am used to a truck fishtailing and backing off the throttle to get traction and straighten back out - but it is still an adjustment for me when the traction control kicks in with my little tires and takes the power away.
Although, that being said, I have never even done the "hold the button" to shut it off.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Have you ever had the sway control kick in? Now that's something .
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by volvodoc
Have you ever had the sway control kick in? Now that's something .
Now that's an eye opening experience. Lol. I've had the OWSC kick in while doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot, I thought that was the RSC. Nope, misloaded a trailer and found out what RSC is. Thought I was gonna sh** myself when it first started. Saved me from something terrible I'm sure. Readjusted the trailer and all was right with the world. Good thing I had a come-a-long.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Never even mess with it ...

I don't mess with the traction control .. I do however appreciate the ABS ... When I first got my truck it was int the shop for a week cus the damn traction control/ABS lights were on ... water in one of the sensors was the issue ... I figured thats great .... Traction control another POS gadget that I'll be in and out of the shop for constantly having issues .... so far its been fine ... Im not use to all this new stuff on trucks now that was on luxury cars 10 years ago .... My 02 FX4 didn't have any of this kinda stuff ....it was built like a truck should be tuff as hell ..
Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

When I first got my F150, I hooked the trailer up and did some sway testing and got the anti sway to kick in. It works quite well.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 AM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Traction control is definitely a buzz kill in the snow when I want to slide the ***-end around a little. It corrects me every damn time.

Funny story... Last summer, my wife and I were at a family party all day, we had our Camaro, and when it came time to leave I threw her the keys because I was drinking. When we got in the car I said do a burn out when you pull out (400hp) and I turned the traction control off. Of course, she refused. The Camaro is her baby... Anyway, we got to the end of the driveway and she went to pull out onto the road and she gunned it a little, the back tires broke lose and she almost threw us right into the ditch. She didn't realize that I had turned the traction control off earlier. Long story short... She yelled.. " KEEP YOUR EFFING HANDS OFF THE BUTTONS IN THE CAR WHEN I'M DRIVING". I laughed.. She scowled some more and we drove home in silence...I didn't get laid that night either. She still gives me a dirty look when I bring it up...

Last edited by tom231; 12-19-2014 at 12:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (12-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Changed my mind about traction control