Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console Vault

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Vault

Just trying to get some opinions, and who better than fellow F150'ers. Anyway, I am currently traveling for work in my personal vehicle until September and plan on carrying a handgun with me (unloaded, of course). Since I will be in several more than shady parts of the country, I am concerned for someone potentially breaking into my truck. I found several center console vaults so far. My logic however is telling me this though: if someone breaks through the first center console lock, what is stopping them from getting past a second? Can anyone vouch for the Ford lock being especially crappier than an aftermarket vault installation? Also, could anyone recommend an especially popular/reliable/worthwhile vault?

Thank you in advance!

-Also I have a 2011 F150.

Last edited by sphawk88; 03-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

What good is an unloaded gun? Lol! Lots of people have the console vault, they say its great. Some have a lockbox that attaches to the rear seat frame or something. I'm pretty sure the Ford factory lock is easy to crack, that console vault looks pretty stout, however anything can be broken into given enough time and ambition.
The following users liked this post:
rdkev (06-15-2013)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You're bigger problem ?

The varying degree to which each state you travel to disregards the 2nd amendment.

What is no problem in one state can put you away for a decade in another.
GunNut37086 (08-20-2015)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Also be aware. If some low life knows you got a gun (if you go to the range eve). While u are away from your truck they may "tag" it. Then when ur truck is parked somewhere not so well lit they break in and ****** ur gun. Just a heads up and to make sure you check ur truck for anything out of the ordinary on it.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Here is my advice, it is worth what it costs you. Get the concealed carry permit (CCW) for your state. Check with one of the Internet sites that list state reciprocity. I use handgun law.us. Get trained! get a good pistol that you are familiar with and get a good holster. I travel all over the US and am armed most of the time. If I go into one of the states that does nor recognize my permit, such as IL, I unload the pistol, put it in a case and put it in the back of my truck under a locked cover or in the tool box. IL would rather lock up a lawful commuter than lock up a Chicago criminal that reliably votes for their political party.

Two unattributed quotes that I have heard. " I need a pistol like a cowboy. I don't need it often, but when I need it, I need it real bad.". " Why do you have a pistol? Are you expecting trouble? Answer. No I have a pistol so I am ready for trouble. If I was expecting trouble, I would have a shotgun and double ought buckshot!".

I would not let the security inside my locked truck consume my thoughts I would hate to put another gun in a criminals hands, but know they will be armed with or without my particular gun.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Posm
Here is my advice, it is worth what it costs you. Get the concealed carry permit (CCW) for your state. Check with one of the Internet sites that list state reciprocity. I use handgun law.us. Get trained! get a good pistol that you are familiar with and get a good holster. I travel all over the US and am armed most of the time. If I go into one of the states that does nor recognize my permit, such as IL, I unload the pistol, put it in a case and put it in the back of my truck under a locked cover or in the tool box. IL would rather lock up a lawful commuter than lock up a Chicago criminal that reliably votes for their political party.

Two unattributed quotes that I have heard. " I need a pistol like a cowboy. I don't need it often, but when I need it, I need it real bad.". " Why do you have a pistol? Are you expecting trouble? Answer. No I have a pistol so I am ready for trouble. If I was expecting trouble, I would have a shotgun and double ought buckshot!".

I would not let the security inside my locked truck consume my thoughts I would hate to put another gun in a criminals hands, but know they will be armed with or without my particular gun.
I feel sorry for you guys. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a country that you need to carry a gun in order to feel safe.

To the OP, I'd get an aftermarket vault. Vehicle locks are well known for being easy to break.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

My dad travels with his pistol, if he is staying in a motel he brings his gun inside with him, no point in having a gun if it's not close by.

"hang on motel room robber man, I'm gonna go get my gun out of the truck and then we can talk about that wallet"

Unloaded guns will not stop someone from trying to hurt you. If safety was a concern I would leave the chamber empty.

"hang on mister serial killer man, I need to remove my trigger lock and load my gun so you won't kill me"

An aftermarket vault would be handy for when you are shopping or just can't carry the gun. I am not a criminal but I can break into your truck in about 10 seconds with a coat hanger. Really, done it to mine('09) and a friends('11) when keys were locked in. If I got in that quick, the console would not take much time either.

Last edited by fordfan77; 03-14-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
I feel sorry for you guys. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a country that you need to carry a gun in order to feel safe.

To the OP, I'd get an aftermarket vault. Vehicle locks are well known for being easy to break.
And I feel sorry for you guys. I can't imagine living in a country that tells me I CAN'T carry for my own safety. I don't own a pistol, nor am I looking to get one any time soon, but I'll defend the right to own one to my grave.
dyeguy1212 (02-10-2018)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I own a bio-metric 'mini-vault' which has a security cable and resides under my passenger seat.

Way too much stuff in my console and no room for mounting a gun vault.

The mini vault goes with me wherever I go. Fits into both my scooters saddlebags and packs easily into my luggage.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
every Canadian I know owns guns.

Quick Reply: Center Console Vault