Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL p2098

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL p2098

Hey guys. This is my first real post on here. I really like the F150 and wouldn't go back to a smaller truck. Every time I fill the tank, it seems within the first few miles the CEL comes on and has to be reset. I get a p2098. I did give the pump a few more squeezes to put a little more gas in there to make it an even number. Would overfilling the tank like this cause a CEL on the capless system? I'm very new to this truck and have been searching around to see if I could find a hint or someone with the same problem as a new owner. If there is a thread I have not found to help me, please post the link for me! Thanks--
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
FEs Rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usaxray25
Hey guys. This is my first real post on here. I really like the F150 and wouldn't go back to a smaller truck. Every time I fill the tank, it seems within the first few miles the CEL comes on and has to be reset. I get a p2098. I did give the pump a few more squeezes to put a little more gas in there to make it an even number. Would overfilling the tank like this cause a CEL on the capless system? I'm very new to this truck and have been searching around to see if I could find a hint or someone with the same problem as a new owner. If there is a thread I have not found to help me, please post the link for me! Thanks--
If I am reading the OBD codes correctly a P2098 means you have a left engine bank lean condition. That shouldn't have anything to do with the amount of gas you are putting into your tank. It should still be under the emissions warranty and I suggest you take it to the dealer next time it comes on. Don't reset, let them do the diagnostics and correct it.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha. Actually, went to the dealer and set up a morning appt to have it checked/ fixed tomorrow. Got impatient and went to Advanced Auto to use their code scanner. I had 5 total recorded codes. They all were the 2098 or having to do with the O2 sensor. That made much more sense to me. I didn't clear them so they could see it tomorrow. Maybe I can get the sensor changed quickly at the dealer. Doubt it. The guy at the service desk told me they probably didn't have that part in stock and would have to order it. A simple O2 sensor....LOL. So I will be going in to have them tell me what I already knew just to go with the process for the warranty. By the way, the other codes were 1053 and 1050(I think). All pointing right at the sensor and circuit.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 F-150 check engine light just pooped up on my truck for the first time. About a week after I put fuel treatment in it and 5 minutes after I set the automatic fueled at the station on low. A big yes on over fill. In the Manuel it says ur not to click to force more fuel in the tank after shut off. No more than 1 or 2 times. I was told my slow fill plus the fuel system treatment caused a lean fuel mixture and that the P2098 code would go off itself in a day or 2. Of course it could be bull. Will know in a few days.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennygann
My 2010 F-150 check engine light just pooped up on my truck for the first time. About a week after I put fuel treatment in it and 5 minutes after I set the automatic fueled at the station on low. A big yes on over fill. In the Manuel it says ur not to click to force more fuel in the tank after shut off. No more than 1 or 2 times. I was told my slow fill plus the fuel system treatment caused a lean fuel mixture and that the P2098 code would go off itself in a day or 2. Of course it could be bull. Will know in a few days.
how did it end???
Old 01-27-2020, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anything on this? Same issue driving me crazy!

Quick Reply: CEL p2098