Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch up to jeep

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:35 AM
10BlueFlame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch up to jeep

Ford has done a good job the last few years with the f150 and Raptor in making them more capable off road. With rear locker, skid plates, and a respectable crawl ratio, they are a good off road machine. I know that jeeps are in a totally different league, since you can't tow 11,000 lbs and don't have a payload of a truck, but I still think that the f150 would like to travel on some of the same trails as those nasty jeeps. I realize jeep will always have the trail edge being 2,000 lbs lighter and it's short wheel base, but f150 could at least have some of the same mechanical goodies. I know front e-locker is a sore subject around here, but if it was used right and even speed limited and 4 low limited, I think parts would hold together. Electronic sway bar disconnect (again at low speeds) would be awesome on a rugged trail. I guess the last thing on my wish list would be a steeper 4 low ratio. Maybe 4:1 is a little much, but maybe split the difference from the current 2.6:1. Please, no negative responses, constructive criticism always ok. No I don't want a jeep, I'm ford for life, and love my fx4. It just seems like the raptor is a tease, because it's set up for desert racing, more than a rough trail. Maybe these changes are in the near future, or maybe they'll never happen. Just wish our trucks had a few more goodies (ford would charge us dearly and most of us would probably gladly pay!) thanks in advance, just want a friendly conversation about our trucks and the future of them.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Power Wagon is more geared towards the trail, but I think I remember reading an article that the Raptor has a better crawl ratio. Maybe ford will offer something down the road.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Haulin Bass!

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Going to take some serious sized meats and lift for ground clearance to accomplish what a stock Rubicon can do on the trails. And then you have to deal with turning radius.

Sorry, but a full sized truck just isn't designed to hit the trails the same way a Wrangler is. And a Wrangler isn't designed to run high speed dirt roads the same way a Raptor is.

I seen some heavily modified trucks center out and need to be yanked off of trails that I just roll through like it was nothing with my stock Rubicon.

This is why I own both F150 and Rubicon.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh please No! I want my F150 to be truck, not some wussied down mopar/ jeep. I mean seriously, what you use to haul your jeep to the dunes or wherever you offroad?
The following users liked this post:
Riccochet (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Haulin Bass!

Originally Posted by koja7296
not some wussied down mopar/ jeep.
I would say it's "wussied down". It's purposely built for a completely different task. Tow/Haul use a truck, off-road/rock climb get a live axle, short wheelbase Wrangler.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM
10BlueFlame

Originally Posted by Riccochet

I would say it's "wussied down". It's purposely built for a completely different task. Tow/Haul use a truck, off-road/rock climb get a live axle, short wheelbase Wrangler.
I know a f150 could never go all the places a jeep can. I thought I mentioned that. All I want is some more off road options to make f150 tow, haul, and a wussy trail rated. Not a tough jeep trail. Jeeps are king of the trail. Sigh
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a regular cab 4x4 and do what u want with aftermarket parts. I also want a truck as capable as u talk about, but would rather build an older model ALOT cheaper. Just wouldnt want my $40k truck in a near rollover situation, or sunk in the mud with water in the floorboards. Thats my idea of playing.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
10BlueFlame

Originally Posted by kent johnson
Buy a regular cab 4x4 and do what u want with aftermarket parts. I also want a truck as capable as u talk about, but would rather build an older model ALOT cheaper. Just wouldnt want my $40k truck in a near rollover situation, or sunk in the mud with water in the floorboards. Thats my idea of playing.
Point well taken, but in ten years these will be older models!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 10BlueFlame
Ford has done a good job the last few years with the f150 and Raptor in making them more capable off road. With rear locker, skid plates, and a respectable crawl ratio, they are a good off road machine. I know that jeeps are in a totally different league, since you can't tow 11,000 lbs and don't have a payload of a truck, but I still think that the f150 would like to travel on some of the same trails as those nasty jeeps. I realize jeep will always have the trail edge being 2,000 lbs lighter and it's short wheel base, but f150 could at least have some of the same mechanical goodies. I know front e-locker is a sore subject around here, but if it was used right and even speed limited and 4 low limited, I think parts would hold together. Electronic sway bar disconnect (again at low speeds) would be awesome on a rugged trail. I guess the last thing on my wish list would be a steeper 4 low ratio. Maybe 4:1 is a little much, but maybe split the difference from the current 2.6:1. Please, no negative responses, constructive criticism always ok. No I don't want a jeep, I'm ford for life, and love my fx4. It just seems like the raptor is a tease, because it's set up for desert racing, more than a rough trail. Maybe these changes are in the near future, or maybe they'll never happen. Just wish our trucks had a few more goodies (ford would charge us dearly and most of us would probably gladly pay!) thanks in advance, just want a friendly conversation about our trucks and the future of them.
I wonder how long the raptor would be if it was a regular cab with a 5.5 ft bed
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Haulin Bass!

I really don't see a need for those type of mods on a F150. IFS is going to be the limiting factor. Without serious modification sway bar disconnects and lockers would be useless. Wheelbase and ground clearance are the limiting factors. I like the suggestion of using an older RCSB and turning that in to a trail rig.

Otherwise, a simple lift and bigger meats will go pretty far off-road on a truck. Just don't expect miracles like trying to rock crawl.

Quick Reply: Catch up to jeep