Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Light + Reverse Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
FAMOUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cargo Light + Reverse Light

I got an idea that I would like to do but Im not quite sure how to go about it. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

I am looking to wire my cargo light (the white part NOT the 3rd brakelight) to my reverse lights, so whenever I put it in reverse the white cargo lights come on also. Im sure it is possible just do not know how to do it.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM
FAMOUS

In other words....

I want it to look like this....but with my reverse lights on too.
https://www.f150forum.com/members/f-...50/24346-a.jpg
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Pickup Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't you just run a wire, and pigtail it in to your reverse lights?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
FAMOUS

Originally Posted by imateo44
Couldn't you just run a wire, and pigtail it in to your reverse lights?
Im not quite sure thats why I am asking for help. Not exactly sure how to do what you said. I added led strips behind my mirror reflectors for blinkers so if its anything similiar to that I could do it. Or if I had someone tell me exactly what to do then I could do it, but other than specific instructions I am completely helpless when it comes to stuff like this. I always get nervous when working with any electrical.

So any advice or detailed instructions would be great.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

i would think running a pigtail from the reverse lights
and install a diode on the feed line so your cargo lamp switch wont try to light up your back up lights when you open your door or select the cargo lamp to be on. and install a diode on the cargo lamp feed so you don't light up your interior lights every time you select reverse
Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My XLT's cargo light does come on when in reverse. Maybe it's because I have the reverse camera?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottom Dollah
My XLT's cargo light does come on when in reverse. Maybe it's because I have the reverse camera?
No it doesn't. Don't believe me? Keep your doors CLOSED, interior light OFF and put the truck in reverse. Your cargo light won't be on.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 144 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Justi
No it doesn't. Don't believe me? Keep your doors CLOSED, interior light OFF and put the truck in reverse. Your cargo light won't be on.

PLEASE put your parking break on when you do this!

I'm assuming that you are going to do this, and get out to see if this is true... So, please put your parking brake on when putting it in reverse, before getting out of the vehicle to check your lights.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 AM
FAMOUS

I wish they would make it factory like that but im pretty positive Justi is right. It definitely doesn't on mine. Hopefully some day soon it will though, think it would look nice especially with all my LED's.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by powerboatr
i would think running a pigtail from the reverse lights and install a diode on the feed line so your cargo lamp switch wont try to light up your back up lights when you open your door or select the cargo lamp to be on. and install a diode on the cargo lamp feed so you don't light up your interior lights every time you select reverse
That will work. I am not sure why anyone would do this though. The cargo lights are not that bright and don't throw any light beyond the rear tailgate and may in fact hinder your ability to see back in fog, heavy rail, or if you have a load as the light would reflect off those things right back to you.

If you want more light reversing, I'd recommend some cheap fog lamps mounted to the rear bumper with a wire run to the cab and switch, or maybe tied into the reverse lights lead (depending on current draw).

I installed a Recon LED bar with reverse LEDs but those are worthless for giving light, more to be seen that I am in reverse. I also added the aforementioned cheap mini fog lamps for extra lumens.

Quick Reply: Cargo Light + Reverse Light