Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cap or not to cap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default To cap or not to cap?

I am really digging my truck with the BakFlip cover. Great for every day, camping, and usual truck stuff. However hunting season is coming and the thought of two wet dogs in the back seat is making me queezy. Thinking about a cap with roof rack (canoe and kayaks). What are your experiences? Recommendation on brand?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cap

I've thought about the same. I had a Leer 100R on my last truck; Toyota Tacoma and I really liked it for hauling kayaks and canoe on the rack on top. Also, I slept in it when camping; had a carpeted platform built at wheel well height so that I could still store things below. Also, worked well for dogs. I didn't put a cap on my F 150 because of the times that I needed to haul something tall and it was a PITA to take off. A topper with a rack on top would work well for what you are talking about however.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an ARE cap that came with my truck, its a nice cap just not my thing. Not sure if they have a model with racks or optional rack system but i would check them out. I currently have it forsale locally hoping to sell it and have my bed sprayed
Old 09-19-2012, 03:23 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts

I personally dont like caps on trucks. but they are very functional. which is why my truck has a cap on it currently. I just went camping this past weekend and I have a trip to florida coming up in 2 months. having a cap on the truck for these situations adds a lot of conveinence, not to mention a bit of security. I did some local craigslist searching and found a cheap cap and its been on for 2 weeks now.
it is a Jeracho cab high cap, and it has removable roof rack cross bars. at this point unless I have something really big to haul I kinda figure it will stay on through the winter because of the added weight helping my 2wd in the snow (if we actually get any this year)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fubar
I am really digging my truck with the BakFlip cover. Great for every day, camping, and usual truck stuff. However hunting season is coming and the thought of two wet dogs in the back seat is making me queezy. Thinking about a cap with roof rack (canoe and kayaks). What are your experiences? Recommendation on brand?
I have the same situation, I have two Labs that currently ride in the back seat but my wife and I have been tossing around the idea of having a kid and there is no way those dogs will sit calm in the back seat with a baby. I want a cap, my wife wants me to sell my truck and get an Expedition EL. She doesn't want the pups in the bed without A/C. My dogs live a tough life! I want the same set up, cap with roof rack for canoe.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeramey100
I have an ARE cap that came with my truck, its a nice cap just not my thing. Not sure if they have a model with racks or optional rack system but i would check them out. I currently have it forsale locally hoping to sell it and have my bed sprayed
My ARE has racks and painted same as the truck. The racks are an option, don't
know how much,the cap was on the truck when I bought it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get either brand with a rack. Both urge you to order the cap with the rack. They are a pain to retrofit once they are made. I love my cap, but I boat and camp so it keeps my equipment dry.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I forgot to add that I had an ARE X-Series with sliding side windows fully fixed front window, and roof rack with cross bars priced out and the guy told me around $1600-$1700. That price included tax here in WV plus paint match and carpet roof lining.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

A good Leer or ARE will also run you $1500 to $2k new as well with roof racks and whatnot.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

New caps are too expensive, I've had good luck on my last 3 trucks buying them off Craigslist for $500 or so. Unless you have an odd color, you can usually find what you want if you check daily or weekly.....

Quick Reply: To cap or not to cap?