Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide - 5.0 or Eco

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Can't decide - 5.0 or Eco

Getting close to buying 2011 FX4. Tested both motors today for ~20 miles, up into the mountains and back. My impressions:

3.5 ECO: lots of power, stays in 6th gear when lightly accelerating from 65 mph, even going uphill. Very quiet, almost too quiet. Doesn't sound mean at all. I also noticed that around town in stop and go, to me, the off-idle acceleration felt mushy, but if you press pedal further, all of a sudden it catches and takes off, almost too drastically (tire spin). Is this the turbo lag? Averaged 17 mpg for whole trip.

5.0: lots of power too. Doesn't stay in 6th with light acceleration from 65, needs to downshift, but still goes like a bat out of hell. Sounds mean as hell too. In town stop and go, off-idle throttle response is instant - liked it much more than the eco in that regard. Averaged the same 17 mpg. One bad thing I noticed (felt), upon downshifts there was a nasty driveline clunk/surge. Don't know what that was, have only felt it in this particular truck.

Which one to get? I do live at altitude, so theoretically the eco would be better for mountain passes, especially when towing. For $750, the eco is supposed to be a no brainer. However, I just can't get over how much better the 5.0 is around town and how much better it sounds.

Turns out salesguy lives close to me, is bringing me the eco tomorrow for me to drive for the day. Then on monday, is bringing me the 5.0. So hopefully after more drive time the choice will be more clear.

For those of you who agonized over the same decision, what put you over the edge?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember last year it was 5.4 or 4.6 3V. Just get the Eco so you can say you have it.

Last edited by deepwater; 02-19-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it depends on how much towing you plan on doing. If you tow a lot and over 6000lbs, I would get the Eco. If you do light or no towing, I would get the 5.0. Not that the 5.0 can't town the heavier loads, but the Eco will do it better, especially in the mountains.

I town an 8000lb trailer frequently 8 months out of the year and was trying to decided between the Eco and 6.2L. I was really impressed with the Eco, but decided to go with the 6.2L. I just love the sound of a V8!

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

This is a great question and one that will be debated and in the end, it will just come down to personal feelings and choice; but that's the great thing about having some options, you can decide what works best for you.

I have read just about everything I can with regard to the EB, and one thing most report, is that there is no 'turbo-lag' with this design.

Next, for me, I am looking down the proverbial road, when gas climbs to five dollars or more a gallon, with the way things are shaping up and with all the economic forcasts. In that respect, I still think day in and day out, this engine will be more economical when compared to any of the V-8's and especially the 6.2.

As to the sound, this aspect mattered to me more when I was in my 20's-30's, than it does now. Previously, I was always from the school of thought which opined that there was no substitute for cubic-inches. I had my V-10 in my previous F250; I have the 5.4 now in my F150. However, I have changed; with my next purchase, I want the hi-tech balance of performance, towing ability, and economy, as well as some of that...."gee, that's really cool!!".

In that regard, the EB appears to offer most of this and is the right choice for me. One last thing, for those of you who have not yet watched the (full length version) of the Torture Test video, it is quite impressive.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/expe....SpecificMedia

Last edited by NorCal-09; 02-19-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove both and liked both. The 5.0 was solid with good power, but I felt the Ecoboost was simply the better choice. Took delivery today of a 2011 Lariat Eco and with only a few miles, I simply think I will love this truck. Great power !
Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HogFan
I drove both and liked both. The 5.0 was solid with good power, but I felt the Ecoboost was simply the better choice. Took delivery today of a 2011 Lariat Eco and with only a few miles, I simply think I will love this truck. Great power !

Well said!!

Congratulations, you are a lucky guy; I will have to wait until the 2012 model year, at the earliest to get mine.

Keep us all apprised as to your assessment, as you get some varied driving experience with the EB.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the eco screw 3:55's 2wd,thought I was going to miss the sound of the 5.0 but I don't.I actually love how quite the eco is,truck is very impressive.I've owned for 3 days and each is just better then the last.On wednesday i'll be at 500 miles and will be towing my 6k trailer can't wait.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm merely curious here as I'm not in a position to buy a new truck myself... but how and why does the sound of the exhaust play a deciding factor on something like purchasing a new vehicle? Seems like something a 12 year old would say...

Just curious, not trying to stir the pot. Well, yeah I am.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the EC (on order, should be in, in a few weeks). I tow about 5,000 lbs 7+ months a year (boat). I used to have a turbo tuner car back in the day so having a turbo again is not new to me, mostly when people say bad things because of sound, I just don't get it, big rigs have turbos! The slight hesitation mentioned in the first post is most likely is not hesitation at all, just takes 1/2 second for turbo to spool up and make power. So having my truck sound like a turbo of the big rigs, I think is pretty cool. I wanted good towing power and good mps while not towing, I commute 30 miles one way to work. I am hoping for 19+mpg to work. My current 01' 5.4l gets 13 mpg to work now.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JP2085
... but how and why does the sound of the exhaust play a deciding factor on something like purchasing a new vehicle? Seems like something a 12 year old would say...
Hey, I'm 39! Trust me, the 5.0 sounds mean under the hood...and I don't know why it factors into the decision...maybe I'm 12 on the inside

Quick Reply: Can't decide - 5.0 or Eco