Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I kill the TPMS warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Can I kill the TPMS warning light?

I'd like to turn off the low tire pressure warning light. My tires are properly inflated and I believe there is a battery integral to the TPMS sending units which fails around the 10 year mark. I'm at 10 years and can live without a warning light. Anyone have a simple method of turning the entire TPMS system off? Couldn't be a simple as pulling a fuse, could it? Truck is a 2009 4wd

Thanks for any help, I did search here but couldn't find an answer, sorry if this has been addressed before.

Last edited by ACTIV68-69; 04-08-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Nothing as simple as a fuse but you can use Forscan (free) to do it. See the Forscan sticky for more information.
The following users liked this post:
ACTIV68-69 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can, I did it using Forscan. I have a 2010 and upgraded to 2018 wheels. Long story short, I found out the sensors weren't compatible with my trucks TPMS system. Rather than replace the sensors, I opted to turn the TPMS off.
I don't know if you're familiar with Forscan or not, but I'm not very tech savvy and I managed to figure it out. I used it to modify one of the codes in my trucks computer to turn the tpms system off.
I have the code that needs to be changed written down at home if you need it. Lots of good info on here and on google if you need help setting up Forscan.
The following 2 users liked this post by jay81:
ACTIV68-69 (04-08-2019), Kent Krodel (04-02-2021)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

I'm at 10 years and can live without a warning light.
Maybe you'll live, maybe not.

You can buy new TPMS sensors on line for as little as $15 each. A tire store will replace them for about $10 each, or do it free the next time you buy tires. That is the option that I highly recommend.

The sensors are not intended to replace an air gauge. They are intended to warn you of a sudden pressure loss while driving. Twice in the last 8 years I've had the warning light come on while driving. Once while doing 75mph on an interstate. I'd run over something that punched a 3/8" hole in one of my tires. I was able to pull over and stop the truck pretty quickly. The tire was completely flat 30 seconds after the light came on. Without the TPMS I'd have had a tire come apart at 75 mph with the real possibility of a serious crash. For the low cost of replacing them I'll be replacing them when they wear out on my truck.
Ricktwuhk (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr

You can buy new TPMS sensors on line for as little as $15 each. A tire store will replace them for about $10 each, or do it free the next time you buy tires. That is the option that I highly recommend.

The sensors are not intended to replace an air gauge. They are intended to warn you of a sudden pressure loss while driving. Twice in the last 8 years I've had the warning light come on while driving. Once while doing 75mph on an interstate. I'd run over something that punched a 3/8" hole in one of my tires. I was able to pull over and stop the truck pretty quickly. The tire was completely flat 30 seconds after the light came on. Without the TPMS I'd have had a tire come apart at 75 mph with the real possibility of a serious crash. For the low cost of replacing them I'll be replacing them when they wear out on my truck.
Thank you for posting this. Sometimes when I read some of the posts on forums I wonder about the future of the human race. I then remember that a good portion of the world isn't very bright. If TPMS saves one life it's worth it.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
If TPMS saves one life it's worth it.
No, it's not worth it if it only saves one life.

It's 100% nanny state driven. Thanks, but no thanks. I have a tire pressure gauge, eyeballs and a brain. If it goes flat at speed, I'll pull over and change it. That's never happened so far in 30+ years of driving, so not a big concern for me.

Last edited by Eric M; 04-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Lee308 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric M
No, it's not worth it if it only saves one life.

It's 100% nanny state driven. Thanks, but no thanks. I have a tire pressure gauge, eyeballs and a brain. If it goes flat at speed, I'll pull over and change it. That's never happened so far in 30+ years of driving, so not a big concern for me.
I suspect if the life saved was someone in your family, you would feel different.

It's great that you've not had a blowout in 30+ years of driving. Of course that means that we can take your experience and extrapolate it over the entire US population, right?

#Darwin'sLaw
Old 04-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I suspect if the life saved was someone in your family, you would feel different.

It's great that you've not had a blowout in 30+ years of driving. Of course that means that we can take your experience and extrapolate it over the entire US population, right?

#Darwin'sLaw

umm that would be a blowout..................in 99% of the cases so now its been reduced to the deaf population.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Actually no, they are there to let you know of under inflation. That is what the whole Firestone/Explorer debacle brought us. There is no way to know whether there is a sudden loss of pressure with most vehicles equipped with TPMS unless they display tire pressure.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIV68-69
I'd like to turn off the low tire pressure warning light. My tires are properly inflated and I believe there is a battery integral to the TPMS sending units which fails around the 10 year mark. I'm at 10 years and can live without a warning light. Anyone have a simple method of turning the entire TPMS system off? Couldn't be a simple as pulling a fuse, could it? Truck is a 2009 4wd

Thanks for any help, I did search here but couldn't find an answer, sorry if this has been addressed before.
A little piece of black electrical tape sure will do the trick.

AK4wheeler

Quick Reply: Can I kill the TPMS warning light?