Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Water Leak Somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cab Water Leak Somewhere

Hello! I have an 09 XLT SuperCab with that annoying water leak in the headliner, I am at my wits end trying to figure out where its coming from. Currently its only showing itself in the rear passenger side headliner, right in the corner between the side door and rear window. I've been reading up in this forum and thought that the 3rd brake light was the culprit so I took it off and stuffed that full of RTV. All was good until today, we've gotten about 3 inches of rain this week and coming home from work the back seat is soaking wet.

I'm starting to suspect that it could be coming from the black metal strap in each corner? I see it has a rivet going through it and presumably into the roof of the truck. I'm just not sure what these are or how to remove them.

Other than that, my truck does have the Sirrius XM plastic receiver on the passenger side of the root but otherwise nothing else is up there. I checked the door seals and they appear to be dry as well. Does anyone have any suggestions and feel like helping me out?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

There are times that the seals on those XM receivers leak. There is a nut to my understanding under the headliner.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by diegoo.jayjay
There are times that the seals on those XM receivers leak. There is a nut to my understanding under the headliner.
Would that just affect the passenger side though in your opinion? I've never seen the leak on the drivers side which is why I was looking at whatever those black straps are in the picture.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Apparently yes those leaks all appear to be on the pass side.

Trying to find a thread about it
Old 05-17-2017, 07:19 PM

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/sat-an...ak-fix-221466/
The following users liked this post:
duluthbison (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 07:21 PM

Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to get the headliner out! I really hate working on interior trim components lol
Old 05-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by duluthbison
Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to get the headliner out! I really hate working on interior trim components lol
You don't need to pull the headliner out unless you want to replace it. I doubt you would be able to fully clean it too.

To remove the bolt I believe you just need to remove the grab handle and trim and then the rubber around the door.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

If your rear headliner is stained, i'm going to guess its NOT the front SAT antenna leaking. Usually when the SAT antenna leaks you get dripping from the grab handle or it pools in the passenger foot well.

your stains are in the back passenger side...its either the 3rd brake light still OR the rear window itself.

My suggestion..it might not look prety for a little but you can figure out whats leaking.... use some duct tap and literally pit a piece over the top and side area of the 3rd brake light. (dont worry goo-off can take off and adhesive later) if you stop getting leaks...you found it...if not then do the same with the tape around the window framing...then wait for a rain or go to a car wash....you will find it. Dealerships aren't much better at finding leaks themselves ...hell Ford cant even design a truck that doesnt leak from the beginning

I just noticed the newer trucks have the SAT antenna in the back channel? well either way Ford still sucks at designing a leak proof f150 so i'd still go the route of duct taping problem area at a time till you find the one that stops the water :-)

Last edited by TimelessR1; 05-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM

You don't need to pull the headliner out unless you want to replace it. I doubt you would be able to fully clean it too.

To remove the bolt I believe you just need to remove the grab handle and trim and then the rubber around the door.
I actually don't have a roof mounted grab handle in this truck, its molded into the a-pillar.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
If your rear headliner is stained, i'm going to guess its NOT the front SAT antenna leaking. Usually when the SAT antenna leaks you get dripping from the grab handle or it pools in the passenger foot well.

your stains are in the back passenger side...its either the 3rd brake light still OR the rear window itself.

My suggestion..it might not look prety for a little but you can figure out whats leaking.... use some duct tap and literally pit a piece over the top and side area of the 3rd brake light. (dont worry goo-off can take off and adhesive later) if you stop getting leaks...you found it...if not then do the same with the tape around the window framing...then wait for a rain or go to a car wash....you will find it. Dealerships aren't much better at finding leaks themselves ...hell Ford cant even design a truck that doesnt leak from the beginning

I just noticed the newer trucks have the SAT antenna in the back channel? well either way Ford still sucks at designing a leak proof f150 so i'd still go the route of duct taping problem area at a time till you find the one that stops the water :-)
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try that out. Now do you have any idea what those black strap things are on the roof corners in my picture? It looks like its riveted through the roof and goes to the back glass.
The following users liked this post:
SmokeRoss (07-10-2017)