Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying tips on a used f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Buying tips on a used f150

I'm sure somewhere that someone said this but, I'm planning on buying a new f150 around 09-14 they are in my price range. I'm wondering if it's better to buy a supercrew 6.6 ft bed or a supercab long box. I want to be able to put a atv in the back and head up to some trails so. What do you guys recommend and what should I watch out for! Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

I love the amount of room in my super crew. Wouldn't ever trade it. 6.6 ft should be plenty for your quad too!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 AM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd honestly recommend against a Supercab.

The only advantages of a Supercab are less weight, and it being a LOT easier to clean since you can open up all four doors really wide.

The disadvantages are numerous, including the front seat passengers having to unbuckle and open their doors to let the rear seat passengers out. Trying to open those rear doors and actually get out within a parking spot (it's about a bitch, ends up being an odd dance involving both doors on either side).

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Supercrew instead.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^what he said, I didnt want a overly long truck with a SCrew and a big bed. But i wished i had gotten a SCcrew with the big bed. to much of a hassle trying to let rear passengers in and out. Not to mention kids will try and shut the doors wrong

Last edited by bluefox_gt; 01-04-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

My old 12 screw with 5.5 bed hauled quads just fine.
The following users liked this post:
berty (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 02:00 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If you don't need the seat, you can get a super cab for quite a bit less than a screw. I need the bigger cab for a rear facing car seat. It's nice for hunting and other activities because I have lots of dry storage space but with a tool box in the back I'm limited in what I can carry even with the 6.5' bed.

I bought a trailer for my ATV. I had enough trouble with slick ramps and watched my father in law slide his ATV into the back of his 250, shatter the window and bend the front of his bed. It also leaves room for my tree stands and other items in the bed.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mattwrotethis
I'd honestly recommend against a Supercab. The only advantages of a Supercab are less weight, and it being a LOT easier to clean since you can open up all four doors really wide. The disadvantages are numerous, including the front seat passengers having to unbuckle and open their doors to let the rear seat passengers out. Trying to open those rear doors and actually get out within a parking spot (it's about a bitch, ends up being an odd dance involving both doors on either side). If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Supercrew instead.
thanks, makes sense I think this may have convinced me too getting a supercrew
Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bluefox_gt
^what he said, I didnt want a overly long truck with a SCrew and a big bed. But i wished i had gotten a SCcrew with the big bed. to much of a hassle trying to let rear passengers in and out. Not to mention kids will try and shut the doors wrong
I can remember when I was 4 doing that on my dads truck so getting a screw would fix that problem haha
Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by pilotpip
If you don't need the seat, you can get a super cab for quite a bit less than a screw. I need the bigger cab for a rear facing car seat. It's nice for hunting and other activities because I have lots of dry storage space but with a tool box in the back I'm limited in what I can carry even with the 6.5' bed. I bought a trailer for my ATV. I had enough trouble with slick ramps and watched my father in law slide his ATV into the back of his 250, shatter the window and bend the front of his bed. It also leaves room for my tree stands and other items in the bed.
I only have one quad, and plan on just getting up to the trails to do some riding and then head home at the end, I'm still under 20 so looking to get the most outta that I was just wondering if some small tool boxes and my yamaha yfz 450 would fit
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by hewittsawesome
I only have one quad, and plan on just getting up to the trails to do some riding and then head home at the end, I'm still under 20 so looking to get the most outta that I was just wondering if some small tool boxes and my yamaha yfz 450 would fit
You should get a Supercab with 6.5 bed then. Personally, if your not starting a family anytime soon, or the guy who always drives his buddies, I'd take the bed length all day long. The parking lot scenario happens very infrequently.
These trucks as you know aren't cheap. So what's more important right now, and couple years ahead? A bigger back seat or another foot inside the bed. What's going to get more use at this stage in your life? That my friend is the question.
You can put a toolbox on and still fit your bike or quad, or your rear passenger's are more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Buying tips on a used f150