Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Intercooler Location
Bumper (oem location)
57.50%
Up Behind the Grill
42.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Budget Friendly Intercooler Upgrade Take the Poll and Share!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Budget Friendly Intercooler Upgrade Take the Poll and Share!

Hey Everyone!

I spoke with the folks at SSAutochromeabout coming up with an intercooler for our trucks. Many are familiar with them, they have been in the car performance scene for years. As you most-likely already know, aftermarket intercoolers for our truck cost anywhere from $850 to well over a thousand, this is crazy to me because aftermarket coolers for cars start at around $200 and go up.

I’ve asked them about one for the oem location and one to bring it up behind the grill to open up the bumper hole for winches, lights or even a center license plate.

This is the reply I received from them:

HEY

which one is more preferred ?

we can do that for sure

is the full race one desired more thanthe stock oem style ?

we can do it and you can go on the forums anddo a group buy

THANKS FOR YOUR BUSINESS

http://www.ssautochrome.com/

http://www.xs-power.com/

So place your vote!! And let me know if you would be interested in doing a group buy, also give any opinions on possible changes that could be made over the others offered to make this one a little better. The price should be close to half of what the others are. I also put a post on f150ecoboost I will be adding up the polls from both.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

It would be preferred that they be able to say they have fully researched the condensation problems and taken steps to eliminate/reduce the likelihood.....lacking that, there would not be much reason to switch from the OEM one.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Everything that I have looked into in reguards to the limp mode problems all point towards the pcv system (seeing what people are getting out of catch cans). I will be testing which ever intercooler we come up with, also with a rx catchcan installed. I'll talk to them about it, but I havn't heard of condensation issues with tube and plate intercoolers on cars.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Here is an article about tube and fin intercoolers (like our oem) vs bar and plate (like these intercoolers will be)http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/03...p_intercooler/ . I am bringing the condensation thing up with SSA and get their thoughts as well.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Let's be real for a minute. The IC is a pretty important piece of equipment with this engine. The folks upgrading them likely tow heavy loads often or race, making an efficient IC even more important. The reasons the others are expensive is due to thorough R&D and construction with quality materials and labor.

A "budget" IC does not sound very appealing. Yeah, saving money is great, but in order for this thing to sell some pretty serious comparisons to the current offerings need to be made. Otherwise the stock IC is sufficient and in some cases a little too efficient.

Spend less time/money on where people want it placed and more time/money on what will be most efficient for the objective. This is illustrated with the Wagner (stock location) and the Full Race (grill mount) being equally popular.
The following users liked this post:
13f150plat (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 04:51 PM

I agree with you and these guys have been around making upgraded intercoolers for years as that is their main product. I understand that the others are great but the cost is, in my eyes, over priced when you compare them to 500+ hp supra/240sx ect intercoolers which run ALOT more boost than us.

Budget could've been the wrong choice of words, maybe "cost effective" would better suit. I support SSA 100% that this intercooler will work as advised and be tougher with the bar and plate design.

We want to find out what location has the highest demand then go from there, with building, designing, and testing one.
The following users liked this post:
BucketMan (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jpaint
I agree with you and these guys have been around making upgraded intercoolers for years as that is their main product. I understand that the others are great but the cost is, in my eyes, over priced when you compare them to 500+ hp supra/240sx ect intercoolers which run ALOT more boost than us.

Budget could've been the wrong choice of words, maybe "cost effective" would better suit. I support SSA 100% that this intercooler will work as advised and be tougher with the bar and plate design.

We want to find out what location has the highest demand then go from there, with building, designing, and testing one.
Put it up against a Wagner, meet or beat it and they will come!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm on board!
If it gets enough interest there will be one to test, either bumper or grill mount which ever the people decide, and it will be much easier to obtain.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jpaint
I'm on board!
If it gets enough interest there will be one to test, either bumper or grill mount which ever the people decide, and it will be much easier to obtain.
Looks like I'm about 3.5 hours away....hmmm, test mule?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd take a hard look at one.

Quick Reply: Budget Friendly Intercooler Upgrade Take the Poll and Share!