Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Broken coil springs

Poking around on my truck (2009 FX4 Screw) today I found that both of the coil springs up front have snapped, in both cases, it is the bottom ring that has broken off... I've been thinking for a while that my truck rode lower than other trucks so it's nice to finally know why... Ordered replacements...

How many others are there around here that have had broken springs?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Thats no good. Do you do much off roading, or is your truck more of a pavement queen?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Thats no good. Do you do much off roading, or is your truck more of a pavement queen?
Never been offroad, I've owned it for about a year and a half though, so hard to know what the prev owner did. From the dealer pics when I bought it, to me it looks like they broke on a test drive or a salesman driving it.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

How could you ever conclude that a salesman or a test drive is responsible for the broken coil springs on a 6 year old truck that you have owned for over a year?? What gives you any indication they weren't broken when you purchased it; you probably would have never noticed it. But go ahead and suggest that to the dealer and let me know how that works out for you.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by RogueGT
How could you ever conclude that a salesman or a test drive is responsible for the broken coil springs on a 6 year old truck that you have owned for over a year?? What gives you any indication they weren't broken when you purchased it; you probably would have never noticed it. But go ahead and suggest that to the dealer and let me know how that works out for you.
Pretty simple, the stock photo from when they listed it for sale shows a standard ride height, the picture I took before I drove it home shows a lower ride height, same as today. It was in their inventory for about 3 months, obviously I could never take the truck back and have them replace it, ie no warranty, but its very clear that the springs broke while in their possession. Definitely not saying they wouldn't have snapped in my possession, simply saying that I can pinpoint them breaking to around the 5 year mark.

Quick Reply: Broken coil springs