Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes nearly fail right at start

Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Brakes nearly fail right at start

This has happened to me several times, wondering if anyone else has experienced it. Starting up the truck after sitting a while, put it into gear and slowly drive forward or backward, once the brakes are applied I have found they really don't work very well. I have to press quite hard and it almost sounds like ABS is coming on, but can't really say for sure. This is a bit worrying.

Has anyone else experienced poor brake performance right at take off? I find they return to normal shortly after, but it is still unacceptable.

FYI, I always let the truck run for a short time before take off, so it isn't like I am just starting it up and slamming it into gear giving no time for fluids to get where they need to be.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeManRun
This has happened to me several times, wondering if anyone else has experienced it. Starting up the truck after sitting a while, put it into gear and slowly drive forward or backward, once the brakes are applied I have found they really don't work very well. I have to press quite hard and it almost sounds like ABS is coming on, but can't really say for sure. This is a bit worrying.

Has anyone else experienced poor brake performance right at take off? I find they return to normal shortly after, but it is still unacceptable.

FYI, I always let the truck run for a short time before take off, so it isn't like I am just starting it up and slamming it into gear giving no time for fluids to get where they need to be.
There are a few recent threads regarding brake noise and sensations of clunking, catching, etc. on start up and first brake release (especially on slight grades), seems mostly on vehicles that have sat for a day or two.

I have experienced similar brake release/clunk, if that is what you may be experiencing. Our climate lends itself to brake pads sticking to rust glazed rotors when a vehicle has sat (even just overnight). Hopefully this is all we're experiencing. As for my truck, braking has been fantastic for the size of these monstrosities nonetheless.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Hmm, I had thought about that myself. It seems less likely, because it wasn't just clunking, but I actually had to step quite hard on the brake to get it to stop. I will keep an eye on it though, since it really only started in the cold so you may be correct with the weather issue.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never any problem with Chester's brakes.

Best brakes of any vehicle I've ever owned, so far.

Always subject to change, tho.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 AM

I tried it again after work today. The truck was parked underground, still cold but not freezing, and right at start off I could barely get them to stop. Pumping a few times fixed it. Going to have to take this to Ford. Will update once I hear what they have to say.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeManRun
I tried it again after work today. The truck was parked underground, still cold but not freezing, and right at start off I could barely get them to stop. Pumping a few times fixed it. Going to have to take this to Ford. Will update once I hear what they have to say.
Kind of important that they work. Definitely sounds like something's up. Air somehow getting in to the system. Keep us posted.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes go to the floor when truck sits more than over night

I have a 2012 F150 4X4 with 18K on the ODO. If my truck sits for more than over night, as I put the brakes on for the first time I have to stand on the pedal as if I have no fluid ion the system. Does not matter if I go forward or backwards, in a garage or outside. Once I stop the first time they work fine from then on. Any recalls or service bulletins on this?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

I wonder if the master cylinder is leaking internally.

Upon first start up have you tried pumping the brakes before you put the truck in gear? Is the pedal soft or very firm?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not tried pumping the pedal. The pedal feels hard and sinks to the floor.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Either the master cylinder is bad, or your brakes were never bled at the factory and the lines are full of air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes nearly fail right at start