Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake vibration? 2013 Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Brake vibration? 2013 Platinum

I have a vibration/rubbing feeling that occurs at low speed after I apply the brakes and release them and doesn't seem to go away for a while. When I say low speed, it seems to occur up until 60km/h and then goes away, or becomes unnoticeable above that speed. It almost feels like a a caliper isn't releasing all the way after I let off the brakes. I had my mechanic check things out and everything seems ok. He said that possibly one emergency brake shoe was rubbing slightly and he made some adjustments. Everything was fine for a week or so and now the problem has come back (and I have not touched the ebrake). I get no pulling and fuel consumption seems normal. All pads look ok. It's driving me nuts because otherwise this is such a quiet and smooth driving vehicle.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpostman
I have a vibration/rubbing feeling that occurs at low speed after I apply the brakes and release them and doesn't seem to go away for a while. When I say low speed, it seems to occur up until 60km/h and then goes away, or becomes unnoticeable above that speed. It almost feels like a a caliper isn't releasing all the way after I let off the brakes. I had my mechanic check things out and everything seems ok. He said that possibly one emergency brake shoe was rubbing slightly and he made some adjustments. Everything was fine for a week or so and now the problem has come back (and I have not touched the ebrake). I get no pulling and fuel consumption seems normal. All pads look ok. It's driving me nuts because otherwise this is such a quiet and smooth driving vehicle.
Hi flyingpostman,

What is your vehicle's year and odometer reading? I'd like to check a few options for you and will need that information before assessing the next step.

Bianca
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hi flyingpostman,

What is your vehicle's year and odometer reading? I'd like to check a few options for you and will need that information before assessing the next step.

Bianca
Thank you. My truck is a 2013 and has 41,000km on the odometer.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM

After researching this a bit more this may be the 4WD hub trying to engage problem. Of course the randomness of it occurring is not helping me right now as I need it to start vibrating so I can engage 4WD to see if it goes away. It vibrated most of the weekend and now it won't.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a 2012 4x4 that does the same thing. It happens at low speed. It doesn't do it all the time. I hit the brakes several times and it might go away. It sounds awful.

I have tried to show the mechanic, but it wouldn't do it. It will be interesting to find out what it is.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by h2ouup2
I have a 2012 4x4 that does the same thing. It happens at low speed. It doesn't do it all the time. I hit the brakes several times and it might go away. It sounds awful.

I have tried to show the mechanic, but it wouldn't do it. It will be interesting to find out what it is.
I just talked to my mechanic and he said that if it was the 4x4 hub it would be a grinding noise, not a vibration. Until it happens again, I can't test it by engaging 4wd. It's still under warranty, but I hate going to dealership unless something is 100% broken and then there is no argument and guesswork as to the fix. Most of the time.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpostman
I just talked to my mechanic and he said that if it was the 4x4 hub it would be a grinding noise, not a vibration. Until it happens again, I can't test it by engaging 4wd. It's still under warranty, but I hate going to dealership unless something is 100% broken and then there is no argument and guesswork as to the fix. Most of the time.
Hi flyingpostman,

I understand that you may not want to get the truck at the dealer right away, but they are in the best position to assist you. If you take it in, I'll be able to escalate your concern to a customer service manager who can assist both you and your dealer toward a resolution.

If you want to proceed that route, please PM me your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and servicing dealer so I can get to work right away.

Bianca
Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost, 5.5' bed, Crew Cab, 14,000 miles, 20" factory tires, 3.73 rear end: has been to the dealer 2x with out being resolved for the same issue.

The first time the dealer was able to duplicate the issue worked on the front found nothing out of the ordinary final paperwork no problem found. When I picked my truck up I went on a test drive with the service manager no issue. Shortly after I left the problem started again. I went back to the dealer and picked the manager back up he was able to observe the issue. He could feel the vibration while sitting in the front passenger seat.

Dropped the f-150 off the following week truck inspected nothing found. I spoke with the tech that worked on my truck and he could not determine the issue. The 1st shift manager was on vacation so he could not help them determine the problem.

It does not happen ever day, but a ford tech and a manger was able to duplicate the problem just cannot resolve the issue. Planning on going back again next week.

The problem happens when going straight or turning left at low speeds. If you turn the wheel to the right the sound will go away. However, as soon as you go back straight or to the left the vibration/rubbing comes back.

Last edited by wingnut451; 04-12-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a 4x4?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes 4X4

Quick Reply: Brake vibration? 2013 Platinum