Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss Coilovers, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Default Boss Coilovers, or not?

Kicking around replacing my front 2" spacer, with some Boss Coilovers, and likely going with Boss shocks on the rear, do not plan on replacing my 3" block.
I've been playing with suspensions for around close to 40 years, and really, never found any kind of shock that made much of an improvement. Bilstiens, Monroe, Rancho, Gabriel, etc.. I've pretty much tried them all.
Yes, I do realize a mid to long travel suspension does make a difference, but don't care to invest that much.
Before I part with more bucks on this truck, I thought I'd ask you guys that have the Boss setup, what you "REALLY" think. Ya, I've read all the hype.
This thing is basically a pavement queen, though does see twotracks, logging roads, and unimproved roads semifrequently. It does not get trashed through mud, and is driven conservatively through what it does see.
I think the red springs would look cool, and the silver coloured shocks, but I don't need Boss to accomplish that.
So, how about some constructive feedback, tell me what you "REALLY" think.
The following users liked this post:
mth (04-11-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Id like to hear some feedback as well. Looking to do a level at some point in the near future, and I dont want to do spacers. Much rather go with a coilover setup.
johnday in BFE (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the same truck as you basically ... I do longggg road trips a couple times a year (~4000 mile roundtrip). the last trip I took was the first time with my dog, I'd never realized how friggin bouncy the stock suspension was (45k miles on it) until my dog kept getting car sick on certain parts - my truck would develop an oscillation to the rhythm of some roads (back road state highways mostly - desert sun isn't kind to the pavement)

when I got back in January I immediately put on the rear bilsteins - wow... really quiets it down back there. I was then considering bilsteins front with stock springs ... but went with the f150lifts boss coilovers - have only put about 150 miles on them (having some 4x4 issues - IWE actuators ... waiting on parts) but the difference even with the 2.25" level is HUGE. They ride really nice (still a truck, not a lexus) and the way it goes around corners at speed and even around town is amazing - it feels like it's locked on rails

like you I've been messing with suspensions on vehicles for a couple decades, so I've learned that I don't want to go too drastic - for me this combination is perfect. Hard to say if i'll do the swaybars at some point or not - I remember upgrading my 2001 grand Cherokee to addco's and bilsteins = on rails / locked to the road. Sure it's a truck, but doesn't mean it can't get better

so.... imho ... if the money isn't a huge issue for you, it'd be worth it. (I had spacers on my JGC - not a fan of spacers as they aren't really 're-engineering' that part, as much as forcing it do something it wasn't engineered to do ... took the spacers off the JGC after about a year - both wheel and coilsprings)
The following 3 users liked this post by Cowpig:
johnday in BFE (03-27-2016), kbreese (03-27-2016), mth (04-11-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

You can do a 4" lift for the same price. Some will say a lift always offers a better ride/less stress in parts compared to a level. However, the installation of the coilovers and rear shocks is easier by comparison.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm also interested in what people "REALLY" think as opposed to hype and justification of a purpose.

Thanks for the nice feedback cowpig.
moink.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by Cowpig

when I got back in January I immediately put on the rear bilsteins - wow... really quiets it down back there. I was then considering bilsteins front with stock springs ... but went with the f150lifts boss coilovers - have only put about 150 miles on them (having some 4x4 issues - IWE actuators ... waiting on parts) but the difference even with the 2.25" level is HUGE. They ride really nice (still a truck, not a lexus) and the way it goes around corners at speed and even around town is amazing - it feels like it's locked on rails

like you I've been messing with suspensions on vehicles for a couple decades, so I've learned that I don't want to go too drastic - for me this combination is perfect. Hard to say if i'll do the swaybars at some point or not - I remember upgrading my 2001 grand Cherokee to addco's and bilsteins = on rails / locked to the road. Sure it's a truck, but doesn't mean it can't get better
Great feedback thanks. Not too drastic is the way for sure. My factory shocks now have 41k miles on them, and I just think it's a good time to upgrade. The truck always has been a bit mushy in corners, but, ya, it's a truck, it'll never be a Porsche.
My attraction to the Bosses were that that I could still maintain a 2" lift, the Bilsteins jump from 1.75-2.25. Everything I've read says not to go over 2" due to the angles, and I can agree to that.
What did you find out about those IWEs?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by SteveLord
You can do a 4" lift for the same price. Some will say a lift always offers a better ride/less stress in parts compared to a level. However, the installation of the coilovers and rear shocks is easier by comparison.
Very true, but I don't want to go up that far. I've been running the 2" spacer I have for quite a few miles, and no problems. I think if you go further with the spacers is where a lot of guys run into trouble.
I always look at resale value as well, I realize I'll never get what I've put into it, but if needed, I can always somewhat easily, put anything mechanical I've done back to stock.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

I have BOSS coils on my truck set around 1.75"-2" increase. Started a touch higher than that but I didn't need the increase and the ride improved with a 1/2"-3/8" drop in the lower seat of the coils on the shock body. I think the better geometry angles of the control arms attributed to the ride quality. It wasn't bad above 2" but it has been better just under 2".

The ride: it's firm but controlled. Like Cow said it corners like a beast due to much less body roll. You do feel the road imperfections a bit more but they aren't harsh...you just know they're there. It's comfortable without being jarring and does shine on gravel roads and fire roads on the deer lease.
I put them on when I had the stock P-rated tires and on March 1 this year went up to the LT-rated 275/65/20 KO2s. I was really worried that the ride would degrade and I'm pleased to say it has not. I did have a bit of bump steer for the first week of the new tires but it has since gone away. The heavier and larger rubber seems to pair well with the BOSS.

I've paired the BOSS with Bilstein 5100s out back. My RAS seems to like a digressive shock to help counteract the movement and twitch and the 5100 has done that well.
I will gladly go with BOSS coilovers again.
The following 2 users liked this post by MCDavis:
johnday in BFE (03-27-2016), mth (04-11-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Elite

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I myself have the Boss front coils and left them at default 2.75" height. Truck sits perfectly level. I had 2.5" spacers on my 11' ecoboost and there is no comparison between the two. These coils ride so much smoother and I don't have the harsh bump after going over a speedbump like I did on spacers. I believe they run an eibach spring which I've had on other vehicles and they will probably last longer than the truck itself. At first it was hard for me to justify an almost $800 difference in just a level/small lift. But if you are looking to keep the truck for a while, I would recommend these to anyone.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
Great feedback thanks. Not too drastic is the way for sure. My factory shocks now have 41k miles on them, and I just think it's a good time to upgrade. The truck always has been a bit mushy in corners, but, ya, it's a truck, it'll never be a Porsche.
My attraction to the Bosses were that that I could still maintain a 2" lift, the Bilsteins jump from 1.75-2.25. Everything I've read says not to go over 2" due to the angles, and I can agree to that.
What did you find out about those IWEs?
I may go a little lower in a few months, give things time to settle etc

...the IWE's are warranty, but the winter storm in Denver area "supposedly" delayed parts until Tuesday ... so i'm not driving it until they get replaced. I looked at a video on youtube of how to replace them - if they weren't warranty i'd probably do them myself.

get the boss CO's, you'll love 'em

Quick Reply: Boss Coilovers, or not?