Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla ATAK and the Borla S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Borla ATAK and the Borla S-Type

Hey guys...

I have a quick question regarding the Borla exhaust... I did a search on the forum but cant find my answer.

I have a 2011 FX4 5.0 and I just purchased a Borla ATAK Split Rear exhaust. I literally had it on the truck for less than a week...and I'm beginning to think that it might be to loud. I'm thinking of swapping it out to the S-type. My question is... instead of swapping everything out, can I just swap out the muffler for an S-type if I can find someone local that has one...? I'm not sure if its a direct bolt up or not...? Its only been a few days and I'm still on the fence about trading up the for the S-Type, but I wanted to ask..

On a side note... if someone recently purchased an S-Type and your looking to trade up for a ATAK... PM me and let know...

Thanks guys..!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey Rick,

I would suggest calling BORLA & asking your questions

I purchased a S-Type appx 3 months ago & love it. If your interested, I have several posts/updates & lots of Pic's reference same.
You can clink on Link below & scroll through if interested...

https://www.f150forum.com/f78/build-...9/#post5805978

Hope that helps in your decision
Old 09-20-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickgsx
Hey guys...

I have a quick question regarding the Borla exhaust... I did a search on the forum but cant find my answer.

I have a 2011 FX4 5.0 and I just purchased a Borla ATAK Split Rear exhaust. I literally had it on the truck for less than a week...and I'm beginning to think that it might be to loud. I'm thinking of swapping it out to the S-type. My question is... instead of swapping everything out, can I just swap out the muffler for an S-type if I can find someone local that has one...? I'm not sure if its a direct bolt up or not...? Its only been a few days and I'm still on the fence about trading up the for the S-Type, but I wanted to ask..

On a side note... if someone recently purchased an S-Type and your looking to trade up for a ATAK... PM me and let know...

Thanks guys..!
I have an ATAK system, I had a muffler shop cut out the y pipe after the resonator and weld on a new Borla muffler
Old 11-14-2018, 02:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rick,

I just had an S type installed on my 2012 FX4 5.0 and I wish I would have gone with the ATAK. I was hoping for a more meatier sound while at low rpm and idling. Any chance you’re in NorCal area? Maybe we can swap mufflers.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If both systems were actually Borla systems then yes, you can swap the muffler section, however the S-type system additionally has a resonator upstream. So you might still have some of that rasp which might be what's annoying you in the first place. I love my S-type. I had an ATAK and I sold it, I was going to try the S-type resonated pipe with the ATAK muffler but never got around to it and sold the ATAK system.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the rasp of the S-type, but it’s doesn’t have that rumble that I was hoping for. Maybe I should try a resonator delete in the S-type, as I have read that would increase the volume and create even greater rumble...more like the ATAK
Old 12-20-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 211 Likes on 142 Posts

I would save time and just bend them out myself. In for sound clips as I have also been a huge fan of Borla. Great sounding exhaust.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lafan1

Hey Rick,

I just had an S type installed on my 2012 FX4 5.0 and I wish I would have gone with the ATAK. I was hoping for a more meatier sound while at low rpm and idling. Any chance you’re in NorCal area? Maybe we can swap mufflers.
Did you ever get the ATAK Exhaust? I just ordered mine and wondering if you or someone in Cal that has has problems with it being too loud?

Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 AM
Expert main pipe

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with a corsa muffler if I could.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanted to give an update. I have installed the Borla Exhuast and have had it for about 2,000 miles now. I LOVE THIS THING!!! It is loud on a cold start for the first 15 seconds then quiets down a lot. Driving around town you can hear the faint grumble with low volume music on. When you step on it you will turn heads with out a doubt, so dont attract the wrong attention while flooring it. One thing also note is that you can get different exit layouts. With that being said I can see how a side exit "may" sound louder as you are more likely to have something next to you that can have the sound bounce back on (other cars, walls, etc). Dont pay the same price for a quieter exhaust. ALSO VIDEOS DO NOT DO THIS THING JUSTICE. YOU HAVE TO HEAR TO BELIEVE.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rigby16:
J_lope82 (09-25-2019), Steelhead 6.2 (09-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Borla ATAK and the Borla S-Type