Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Shop- paint issue

Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Body Shop- paint issue

Hey guys and gals, just looking for some insight into an issue of mine. So, I wanted to swap my chrome bumpers with a family member for their painted bumpers (not a fan of chrome). I would have to get the bumpers that were to come on my truck color matched and PTM race red.The plan was to get it done at a reputable dealer body shop in town.

Now, the job in the pics below is unacceptable and very far from professional. What I would like to know (from anyone with experience with paint) is how to remove the overspray or runs that are on various parts of the truck.

Update: I have already taken it back to the dealer but I would still like to know the different ways it could be removed. Also, for some reason, I'm having trouble uploading all the photos, but you get the point.Thanks in advance!

This one seems to have overspray that managed to get directly onto the frame piece directly behind the front bumper.
Body Shop- paint issue-img_1845.jpg

This really disappointed me...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1845.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	120447
Attached Thumbnails Body Shop- paint issue-img_1847.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Looks like they painted the bumpers on the truck??!! That's a big no no at the shop I'm at. The red overspray on the frame end, can be taken care of with some simple trim black paint. But the overspray on the black part of the bumper is tricky. They could use paint thinner to remove it. But you risk melting or discoloring the plastic. That wuold be what I would try 1st, in a small inconspicuous area. If that didn't work id try a stiff bristled brush and lots of water. This is a huge reason that all bumpers should be removed and taken apart completely before paint. To avoid this.

The wheel, a god scrubbing wit wheel cleaner will take that off. Paint doesn't like to stick to rubber.

The runs? Best bet is to NOT GET THEM! Haha!!! I use a razor blade(yes I know it sounds bad) and shave them out. Then I go back over it with a meguires unigrit sanding stone of 1500 grit to level it off. Then go back over with 2000 grit wet sand paper, nd 3000 grit paper then buff.

Idk if this helps at all. But yeah def remove bumpers before painting!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mbullock
Looks like they painted the bumpers on the truck??!! That's a big no no at the shop I'm at. The red overspray on the frame end, can be taken care of with some simple trim black paint. But the overspray on the black part of the bumper is tricky. They could use paint thinner to remove it. But you risk melting or discoloring the plastic. That wuold be what I would try 1st, in a small inconspicuous area. If that didn't work id try a stiff bristled brush and lots of water. This is a huge reason that all bumpers should be removed and taken apart completely before paint. To avoid this.

The wheel, a god scrubbing wit wheel cleaner will take that off. Paint doesn't like to stick to rubber.

The runs? Best bet is to NOT GET THEM! Haha!!! I use a razor blade(yes I know it sounds bad) and shave them out. Then I go back over it with a meguires unigrit sanding stone of 1500 grit to level it off. Then go back over with 2000 grit wet sand paper, nd 3000 grit paper then buff.

Great Advice!!!! I gave it to them under the understanding that they were going to paint the bumpers WHILE THEY WERE OFF! but clearly- i was mislead.

Im totally peeved about this. I have several pictures where their is overspray including the wheel wells, and below the hitch in the rear. Additionally, I found out that my rear licence plate lights were not even hooked up and were dangling...

I just hope that they remove it safely... thanks for your insight.... I will post pics of completed project.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Great Advice!!!! I gave it to them under the understanding that they were going to paint the bumpers WHILE THEY WERE OFF! but clearly- i was mislead.

Im totally peeved about this. I have several pictures where their is overspray including the wheel wells, and below the hitch in the rear. Additionally, I found out that my rear licence plate lights were not even hooked up and were dangling...

I just hope that they remove it safely... thanks for your insight.... I will post pics of completed project.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Yeah thats just **** poor prep work. Not sure why they would paint it on the truck but if they are going to they could have at least masked it off a bit. Stuff like that is just sloppy
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by kozal01
Yeah thats just **** poor prep work. Not sure why they would paint it on the truck but if they are going to they could have at least masked it off a bit. Stuff like that is just sloppy
Exactly. Also its more likely to get runs when you have to bend over and paint a bumper. If its off and on a stand, you can see it better, and pay attention to the paint going on better, therefore less/no runs.

OP let me guess, you installed the bumpers yourself? Then brought it there, they saw they were on already, and decided to just leave them on to save time?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't have accepted deliver of trick from the body shop until fixed. That's easy for me to say since I wasn't there but that's totally unacceptable work IMO.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Exactly. Also its more likely to get runs when you have to bend over and paint a bumper. If its off and on a stand, you can see it better, and pay attention to the paint going on better, therefore less/no runs.

OP let me guess, you installed the bumpers yourself? Then brought it there, they saw they were on already, and decided to just leave them on to save time?
Actually, I left it with them for 4 days. Went in with chrome bumpers, my uncles truck came in and got the chrome and his were taken off HIS truck to b put on mine. I saw all the bumpers on the floor in peices so I KNOW that this is **** poor work. I guess they prepped them and then put them on and painted.

As for delivery, It was darker when I received it and I couldn't tell too much because it was parallel parked. When I got home to the shop I saw all the inconsistencies.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM

Body Shop- paint issue-image-3608261956.jpg

Here's another shot of the driver side wheel well. It just boggles my mind lol.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by DanH

Here's another shot of the driver side wheel well. It just boggles my mind lol.
Wow!!! They put the bumpers on and then painted!!! Yes that is mind boggling!!!! Have you checked under the hood? Where your grill meets the bumper...I'm curious to see that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Shop- paint issue