Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank radio display in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blank radio display in 2013

Hi folks,..... I'm sure this issue has been brought up here before, but I didn't see anything when I looked back. Maybe someone can send a link if they know of one. ......
Anyway.... my 4.5 inch center radio/dash screen is black for the most part. I say "for the most part" because on occasion the screen does work but has lines running up and down through the display. But then sometime during the drive the display goes blank and usually doesn't rtn. at least for a day or so or the truck is shut off and restarted. But just because the truck is restarted doesn't mean the display will work.

If anyone has had or is having this issue { and I'm sure there are others } please respond. It would be GREATLY appreciated.
Ford in Canada has said it would be $1200 or more to fix the issue. Ford also said that Ford in the US warrantied this but not so here in Canada. WTH ??

Just wtd to say that I have done hard resets, and watched all the youtubes where they show you how to remove and replace the radio along with suggestions to resolder all the points on circuit boards within the radio. I have not tried that YET ! But it was suggested to look at Ford forums for other possible fix methods.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rickyboy; 07-21-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Maybe you should look in the sales/trade part of forums for someone selling their screen. It sure sounds like at the very least the screen's internal wiring is loose. Could be worse. I would think you could find someone that upgraded their system willing to sell the old screen for far less than retail Ford parts.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-2014-FOR...562?rmvSB=true
Old 07-22-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Maybe you should look in the sales/trade part of forums for someone selling their screen. It sure sounds like at the very least the screen's internal wiring is loose. Could be worse. I would think you could find someone that upgraded their system willing to sell the old screen for far less than retail Ford parts.
Thx Spiky ... My Ford dealer said possibly, the issue is a unit withing the radio. I have no idea what THAT is ....and of course they said "it's hard to explain".... I'm not convinced it isn't just the screen but I don't know. ...
Did you advise getting the new / used screen based on the fact the screen comes on occasionally ? ?? Because the time, date etc. info usually on the screen is there when the screen does "light up". When I say the screen "lights up" it isn't lighting up as usual,.... it's got those lines going from top to bottom and it seems kind'a cloudy. Do you know of something inside the unit when you say "Could be worse" ?? Thx again for the help
Old 07-25-2017, 12:28 PM

Well, you can occasionally see something, so it could be totally dead and that would be worse. That sounds like what happens to any screen when it is dying, tv, computer, etc. But these days it's often cheaper to replace such products than fix.

Possibly you could find an internal connection for the screen that is loose, but that would require the ability to do that repair.

Last edited by Spiky; 07-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, you can occasionally see something, so it could be totally dead and that would be worse. That sounds like what happens to any screen when it is dying, tv, computer, etc. But these days it's often cheaper to replace such products than fix.

Possibly you could find an internal connection for the screen that is loose, but that would require the ability to do that repair.

Thx again Spiky,.... So is it your guess that the problem is just the screen? Or do you think it could be more.???
Old 07-27-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did exactly as the OP stated.. my ribbon connector for the screen had corrosion. Replaced screen.. problem solved
Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 AM

If everything else works, seems likely.
The following users liked this post:
Rickyboy (08-11-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem once too on my 13 . I had it replaced under warranty just before the 3 year total warranty ran out . I'd lived with it for while before i asked if it would be covered and it was . I'm in Canada btw
Old 08-11-2017, 01:02 PM

Well still no luck finding a screen ......and low and behold the screen came on for a day, with the same scratchie kind'a lines running through it. Then it went black again.... I took my screen out and had a look for corrosion like Slo5.0 said... nothing it all .... it looked good. Anyone have one after doing an upgrade??