Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Mighster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash

After nearly a year post modification, I decided to post some pics of my mod.

Reasons for the Mod:
- I spend a minimum of 3-4 hours in my truck per day, lots of highway driving. I love working with my truck, doing mods and learning. This seemed like a perfect mod for me. I don't see how I could ever live without it now!

Advantages:
- After comparing the price for a 2 din unit with the $199 32GB Playbook I already had, it was an easy choice.
- The Bluetooth Audio feature in my truck SYNC's perfectly with my tablet, no iStreamer required and I could keep ALL my factory controls.
- The Playbook tablet streams internet through my Bold 9900
- Both the Playbook and the Bold can simultaneously be bluetoothed to the SYNC. (Your phone is ALWAYS your default BT device).
- I built a top slider so the tablet can easily be removed for security or other uses.

Disadvantages:
- I have to manually connect the Bluetooth every time I start the truck - it will not default to connect to the tablet. It always reverts to Line In.
- The Playbook only has 32GB of memory and at this point I can’t use the USB cable to connect it to a 2.5” 500GB HDD hidden behind like my brother has with his Pioneer AVIC.
- Lack of Apps for the Playbook as compared to Android or Apple devices.
- This was a learning experience, it did not cost very much money but it did cost time and patience.

What I learned:
- Everything! After seeing SoundMan Audio's first iPad install, I was hooked, but I had never done any mods like this in my life. I had to learn how to fiberglass, Bondo and how to be a perfectionist. Making your Bondo’d bezel look factory stock is by far the hardest part. Clean straight lines and smooth sanded curves are easier said than done.

Tools Needed:
- Dremel, fibreglass, Bondo, 60 and 220 grit sandpaper, hot glue gun, super glue, hard flat plastic (I used puckboard but SoundMan uses some black harder plastic that I would recommend), primer, paint, precision, patience.

Hurdles:
- I needed to keep the factory radio and all of its controls. The iPad guys seem to just remove them, but I use those controls a lot. The 7 inch screen of the Playbook allowed this. However I had to buy 2 Metra double din kits and saw them in half then fiberglass them together.
- The Playbook is powered via a right angle USB, nowhere was I able to find a 90 degree USB passthrough like the iPad guys have. Go figure – anyway there wasn’t enough room under the Playbook between the radio panel controls (the Playbook’s port is on its bottom, not the side like the iPads). The Playbook is flipped upside down and plugged in from the top. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good considering.
- A lot of guys are worried about cutting up the inside of their dash. Well, it’s never ever actually seen and I can revert back to my stock look in about 10 minutes and you’d never know I once had a tablet in my dash.
- The length of the entire unit is now longer than my stock unit leaving a 2 inch gap way down at the bottom – which I plan to fiberglass closed. It is not easily noticed as is.

2 Become 1 – I had to fiberglass splice 2 Metra double din kits that I bought on Amazon ($17 each). Then I had to cut out a slot for the numbers from 1 – 9, as the climate controls don’t have a space for this. I ended up removing the eject and load buttons from the CD player because their holes didn’t look good so I bondo’d over them. (I bought an extra radio control panel with bezel for $18 on eBay – so I could cut the eject and load buttons off).

Fibreglass Tray – Like Soundman, I made a fiberglass tray of my Playbook and then fibreglassed it to the opening I had created where the double din deck should be. I then used puckboard to make the flat sides and finally bondo to make everything come together. The most laborious task was to sand the bondo to make it look all sexy smooth. It was nearly impossible. You can see in parts I wasn’t entirely successful.

4 Way Flasher buttons – I had to extend these 6 wires to move the 4 ways to the bottom where the SYNC controls used to be. Then I had to Bondo that area and cut out an area the right size for the 4 ways.

I plan of having it clearcoated by the autobody shop next door and not use a spray can clearcoat - they NEVER turn out well.
What's next? Possibly the Nexus 10...
Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash-macdonald-20121116-00866.jpg   Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash-img00077-20120423-1845.jpg   Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash-macdonald-20120621-00319.jpg   Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash-macdonald-20120621-00320.jpg   Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash-cornwallis-20121116-00868.jpg  

Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash-macdonald-20121116-00869.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
despotic (03-01-2014)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Very cool, it's nice to see a playbook put to good use. grey job on making it look factory.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job! This is much closer to what I'm looking to do than what I've seen elsewhere in the forums!

Did you ever go to a Nexus 10? I'm using a Nexus 7 and have strongly considered a 10

Quick Reply: Blackberry Playbook Tablet in F150 dash