Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bird Chirp In Dash Gone. Finally Feels Like a Luxury Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Bird Chirp In Dash Gone. Finally Feels Like a Luxury Truck

As many of you have seen, and complained about, I have expressed my frustration with my truck because it had a horribly loud bird chirp coming from the center of the dash. I knew it was the dash and not anything else because I could lightly put my finger on the bottom right corner of the center bezel, and it would stop.

First trip to the dealership, they had it for a day and a half and said they fixed it. First bump I hit, "chirp."

Couldnt stand the fact that I didnt have my truck just because of a bird chirp, so I took the dash apart myself 5 times, insulating everything I could think of, and putting electrical insulating grease on others. Didnt work.

Very frustrated at this point, took it to another dealership (the one I bought it from) and they had it for 2 1/2 days when they called me with confidence that they had fixed it. 2 minutes in to my drive, "chirp." It happened over railroad tracks and not again for the rest of the 2 minute drive to work (on smooth roads) so I was skeptical that they had made it at least tollerable. Then it chirped like crazy on my drive home. Thus I decided to take another stab at it myself.

Up to this point I had been cheating on how I was taking apart the dash and couldnt fully take off the trim pieces on either side of the center bezel, only move them out of the way. This had kept me from diagnosing it one piece at a time. Thus, yesterday afternoon, I decided to do it right and move the center console out of the way so I could access the lower bolts on those trim pieces. Still chirped with those removed, so I popped the center bezel loose on the passenger side and went and drove....gone. So I went back to the house, re-insulated the snap in clips, and where it touches the next piece.

Then I looked at the little metal clip that the bottom right bolt goes through (go figure, right by where I would press and have it go away) and noticed the clip was turned a few degrees. I decided to just pop it off to see if the chirp would go away. Remounted the center bezel, bolted down all of the other bolts, and went for a test drive.

Voila!!

That little bitty clip used to secure the right bottom corner of the center bezel was the culprit all this time.

Now time to figure out the rattle in the back that they also claimed to have fixed and didn't... but that one isnt anywhere near as annoying.

Anyway, I finally feel like this is the luxury truck that I intended to buy. It was horrible knowing I had bought such an expensive truck to not even be able to focus on enjoying it because of a bird chirping in my ear constantly.

Lessons?
1. Dont take it to the dealership for something so small... chances are you can do it better. There were three bolts in the dash that the tech had only started the threads and forgot to go back and tighten them. Also, he over-tightened the airbag bolts, as well as a bolt he really didnt even need to touch. Overtightening this one cracked the plastic on the trim piece, but it is visually covered up so I don't feel like dealing with it.

2. When diagnosing squeaks/chirps/rattles, take it apart correctly, one piece at a time until the sound quits...then examine what that piece touches/uses.

3. Don't complain on here too much about your problem/experiences even if it is making you hate your truck. A lot of ppl hate on you for complaining and take it out on you in other posts because they were lucky enough to not have such issues. Thank you to those that made suggestions.

Last edited by EcoBrook; 11-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by EcoBrook:
Agri-Cover, Inc. (11-18-2013), cirt063 (11-16-2013), ClaySlayer (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

If you want something done right, do it yourself!
The following users liked this post:
H-60 Electrician (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Fantastic
Old 11-16-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm so happy it wasn't a baby bird stuck in the dash. It would have driven me crazy to have my truck make a noise like yours was. Congrats on finding the problem and fixing it. Great that you can now enjoy your truck.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Nothing as satisfying resolving the problem yourself. Congrats.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the post bro! Great info, rattles in a truck I just paid $40k for drives me to the nut house!!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 PM
THUNDER UP!

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Man I just started hearing this chirp yesterday. Coincidence you posted this thread. I know its the exact same thing because I can put my finger on the rubber boot part between the steering column and dash and it stops. Annoying as hell
Old 11-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Eco, noises like that drive me nuts also. I'm happy to hear you cured yours, and thanks for the write-up. That will help those that have the same problem.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

I think you must be crazy, but I give you thumbs up anyway, because you know the word 'voila' which is pretty rare around here.

Quick Reply: Bird Chirp In Dash Gone. Finally Feels Like a Luxury Truck