Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein 5100

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstein 5100

Hey All,
I know this subject has been brought up a lot but I never found a definite answer. I ordered these last week and had them installed at a local shop. Without talking to them about install, the tech installed the rears with the boot up. I have read they can go either way but others have said Bilstein told them boot down. The tech who installed them told me he has always installed shocks with the boot up but would be happy to switch them around if I wanted. I had the front struts replaced with 5100's as well. After driving it this weekend, I am loving the new ride. Even my wife was able to see the difference and was impressed (she has no clue what shocks even look like) so I was impressed she noticed. Anyone have any input about boots up or down? Pros and cons?
Also, they installed the fronts at stock height because the tech didn't see the notes to install at 1.5 height. Have to take it back to get it adjusted up. It rides great now at stock height. Is the ride that much different when they raise it up a little over an inch? I appreciate any input on this and sorry if I missed this information posted somewhere else.
2009 F-150 FX4
Old 10-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Even though it's recommended to install with the boot down it will work either way. My truck is in the shop right now having a set installed. I went with the 2nd notch from the top on the front's. I'll get some pics later on this evening.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Even though it's recommended to install with the boot down it will work either way. My truck is in the shop right now having a set installed. I went with the 2nd notch from the top on the front's. I'll get some pics later on this evening.
Did you specify to have yours installed with the boot down? Let me know what you think of the 2nd notch from the top. That is what I plan to go with.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tyoung0907
Did you specify to have yours installed with the boot down? Let me know what you think of the 2nd notch from the top. That is what I plan to go with.
I told them to go with whatever Bilstein recommends in case of a warranty problem. I had Bilstein HD's on my '04 Lariat with the boots mounted on the upper side for over 50K miles with no problems. Mechanic said they'll work either way even though boot down is recommended. I marked the 2nd notch from the top with the shop owner this morning and he said he'll make sure its set at that position...I don't want the truck to sit up as high as my last truck did ..want to keep a small amount of rake. Not planing on towing anything over 5K pounds.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by PawPaw
I told them to go with whatever Bilstein recommends in case of a warranty problem. I had Bilstein HD's on my '04 Lariat with the boots mounted on the upper side for over 50K miles with no problems. Mechanic said they'll work either way even though boot down is recommended. I marked the 2nd notch from the top with the shop owner this morning and he said he'll make sure its set at that position...I don't want the truck to sit up as high as my last truck did ..want to keep a small amount of rake. Not planing on towing anything over 5K pounds.
I told the advisor when I took mine in to be sure and have them installed at the second notch from the top. Of course that didn't happen but they offered to make it right and correct their mistake. Take it back in tomorrow for the correction. As far as the rear shocks - I just got off the phone with Bilstein and they are supposed to be installed boot down on the 5100. He said they are engineered this way and they are to be installed that way. Looks like I will be getting those swapped around while its back in tomorrow.

Last edited by tyoung0907; 10-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by tyoung0907
I told the advisor when I took mine in to be sure and have them installed at the second notch from the top. Of course that didn't happen but they offered to make it right and correct their mistake. Take it back in tomorrow for the correction. As far as the rear shocks - I just got off the phone with Bilstein and they are supposed to be installed boot down on the 5100. He said they are engineered this way and they are to be installed that way. Looks like I will be getting those swapped around while its back in tomorrow.
We found the instructions in the box and they do say to put the boots down and the Bilstein name towards the top. Glad I bought the '13 because they won't work on the '14 models in the front. This has been an on going discussion for years about the boot up or down!!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Well it seems as though for now the issue has been solved! Hopefully they won't change it up on us with future models. Let me know what you think about your 5100's. Like I said, I love the ride and think it was worth the money.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM

5100's set at 2nd notch from the top...gained 1-5/8 inches in the front and 1/4 inch in the rear. Firmed up the ride but not rough..they take some of the jolt out of the bumps on our crappy roads. Truck handles great in turns as opposed to the plush Platinum ride.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Looking good [MENTION=9858]PawPaw[/MENTION]!
The next item on my list is some coilovers...cannot save it quick enough!
The following users liked this post:
PawPaw (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by MCDavis
Looking good [MENTION=9858]PawPaw[/MENTION]!
The next item on my list is some coilovers...cannot save it quick enough!
The coilovers are nice but the Bilsteins serve the purpose for the driving I do!

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100