Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Halogen Headlight Bulb?

Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Live from Utah's Desert

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best Halogen Headlight Bulb?

I know we're all about retrofitting our trucks with aftermarket or OEM projectors with HID lighting, or adding aftermarket lights to our trucks, but as my pockets aren't as deep as some, can anyone recommend a good "brighter than stock" halogen bulb that lasts longer than 6-8 months?

I've tried the Silverstars and the Ultras and get the really bright thrill for about 3-6 months. I've tried the Xtravision, which do a little better for around a year. Just curious if I'm out of luck and need to just deal with what I have, or if I have options for my stock housing?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by My2013STX
I know we're all about retrofitting our trucks with aftermarket or OEM projectors with HID lighting, or adding aftermarket lights to our trucks, but as my pockets aren't as deep as some, can anyone recommend a good "brighter than stock" halogen bulb that lasts longer than 6-8 months?

I've tried the Silverstars and the Ultras and get the really bright thrill for about 3-6 months. I've tried the Xtravision, which do a little better for around a year. Just curious if I'm out of luck and need to just deal with what I have, or if I have options for my stock housing?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi.

Ahhh .. the wonders of Marketing, lol.

Refer to this chart:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...partnumber=H13

You'll notice that the actual Lu and MSCP numbers are the same across all the bulbs. So - the most expensive is no brighter than the cheapest standard bulb. And do not last as long.

This holds true for all of them. And avoid the ones who claim their bulb output is as much as a higher wattage bulb - that's not possible - it's BS.

All they are doing is raising the Kelvin number - which gives the perception of being brighter - in fact they aren't.

Save yer money - buy the standard or Xtravision bulbs ( without the silly ricer blue coatings ) and change them regularly, as bulbs begin to dim from the first time they are used.

Start a HID retrofit fund. Meanwhile, drool here: www.theretrofitsource.com

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 04-27-2014 at 12:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
My2013STX (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the PIAA xtreme White Plus in many of my trucks and never had a problem with any of them. Real bright light and no crazy blue tint. Just bright white light. You can get a set for around $50.00 like on ebay or amazon.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

PIAA xtreme white or Silverstar Ultra (walmart where i live finaly carries thee now)
Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake4wheel
I've used the PIAA xtreme White Plus in many of my trucks and never had a problem with any of them. Real bright light and no crazy blue tint. Just bright white light. You can get a set for around $50.00 like on ebay or amazon.
Hi.

Alas - Looks like you have succumbed to the marketing machine as well.

They are no brighter - and are indeed tinted blue. The coating raises the kelvin rating, but they are in fact no brighter - it's yer mind playing tricks. Odd as well that, unlike Sylvania, PIAA is not publishing Lu and MSCP data for this headlite bulb ( not that I could find in a very brief search, anyway ).

Additionally - the '55w = 75w' statement they make is fraudulent - the Halogen cycle can only convert power input into a certain amount of light output. So, you cannot get 75-85 watts of light from a 55/65 watt input limit.

They're blue: http://www.piaa.com/store/p/63-H13-X...gen-Bulbs.aspx

They are unremarkable: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-halogen-bulb

Having said all of that, it IS all in the eye of the beholder, so if you are happy, it's all good. This is just fer FYI purposes.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 04-27-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all that said, I know that when I put one bulb in and turn on the lights and compare the PIAA to stock headlight, it appears much brighter than the stock one.
Wattage may be the same, I'm not sure but also don't care. I know they work much better. Regarding the blue tint I spoke about, I know the bulbs do have a blue tint on the bulbs themselves, but they don't show the blue light that I see a lot of kids have on their trucks. (I know, probably 8000 or10,000k light.) I just don't care for the purple or blue tint and wanted to lethim know that this bulb didn't have it. I was just trying to give first hand experiencefor the bulbs. I'm knew to this forum and have only had my truck for one week prior to leaving to work offshore. I don't have a lot of
Wattage may be the same, I'm not sure but also don't care. Iknow they work much better. Regarding the blue tint I spoke about, I know thebulb does have a blue tint on the bulb itself, but it doesn't show the bluelight that I see a lot of kids have on their trucks. (I know, probably 8000 or10,000k light.) I just don't care for the purple or blue tint and wanted to lethim know that this bulb didn't have it. I was just trying to give first hand experiencefor the bulbs. I'm new to the forum and have limited knowledge on the F-150 since I mostly drove Chevy's. I just switch to a Ford and have only had the truck for 1 week before heading offshore for over a month. I was just trying to give some advice about something I do know about.

Last edited by Jake4wheel; 04-27-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

PIAA

Extreme white.
They are white, not blue as some suggest.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Live from Utah's Desert

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree MGD about the brightness. I see a HUGE night time visual difference between my stock bulb, and the Silverstars/PIAA are MUCH brighter. I can see the road WAY better. The burn down time from super bright down to dim stock is about 3-6 months in my experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Halogen Headlight Bulb?