Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Dashboard Camera with F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 AM
2010 FX4 5.4 4x4

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Best Dashboard Camera with F150

I really want to get a dashboqrd camera for my truck. Just wondering what y'aĺl r using out there.

I want it to be HD quality. Anything u recommend. If so, list the following.
1. Brand/model
2. Where u bought it
3. How much u paid (US or Canadian)
4. how u power via F150
5. Are all wires hidden.

Looking forward to all the responses. Pictures welcome
Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using an old motorola droid 4 with the windshield mount and an android dash cam app. It uses the sensors in the phone to determine if an accident has occurred and that will make that video harder to delete. The wires are not hidden but I am sure there would be a way to do it plus it's all HD quality.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Recently, I've done quite a bit of Internet research on dash cams, because I'm in the market to purchase one. Dash cams range from very inexpensive to expensive and have a wide variation of features. I don't own a dash cam yet. One of my criteria is the ability to direct-wire the camera to power, in lieu of having to use the 12V-out on the dash. Also, I'm searching for one that is discrete, i.e., not too obtrusive, bulky, or just plain ugly hanging behind my rear view mirror. I've narrowed my research to the following models.

BlackVue 2 Channel DR650GW-2CH + GPS. ($472 Amazon Prime). This has both a front and rear camera, and it has been highly rated in image quality. They make a single channel (dash cam only) which sells for $345. It uses a Sony CMOS sensor. I could not find a direct-wiring kit, or information on how to do this. There is no video screen, but you can view over wi-fi on your smartphone.

LUKAS LK-7900 ACE + GPS ($200 Amazon Prime). Highly rated camera with Sony CMOS sensor. This camera has the highest heat resistance rating, i.e., it doesn't fail in extremely hot temperatures. It has a direct-wiring kit, if you order it with the "B" cable and power supply protector. There is no video screen, so you have to connect an AV-out cable, or remove the memory card and download to your device.

Both the BlackVue and Lukas cameras have a "Park" mode which will begin recording when the camera senses movement after a period of time or the vehicle sustains a G-force. So as not to drain the battery, there is a separate cable you can purchase with a voltage sensor cut-off switch.

E-PRANCE Mini 803 ($115 Amazon Prime). The prior model was the Mini 801. This looks like a great little camera and price-to-value it is highly rated. It has a small LED screen for immediate viewing. It uses a CMOS sensor, but not Sony's. There is a kit to direct-wire the camera to power. The image quality is not as good as the other two models, especially at night. Also, it does not come with GPS (optional), and it does not have park mode.

Which one am I leaning toward? I'm leaning toward the Lukas. The two main reasons is that it can be direct-wired, and it has a high heat tolerance level. My vehicle is not garaged, and it can get pretty hot inside the cab during the Cincinnati summers. I don't want to have issues with the camera failing. Image quality seems impressive, and it has GPS, and park mode. The Mini 803 would be my second choice, but I do not know how it will hold up in the heat. I'm not sure when I will pull the trigger on a dash cam. In the meantime, if you pick-up one, please let us know what you decided.

Last edited by flamebluef150; 12-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been wanting to get one too but just haven't taken the time to research them thoroughly. This seems like a good start http://dashboardcamerareviews.com
Old 12-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Apeman
I've been wanting to get one too but just haven't taken the time to research them thoroughly. This seems like a good start http://dashboardcamerareviews.com
I just got a Cyoyo GS6000 with 32gig card. I picked this model after reading a lot of reviews in some technical magazines online and consumer reports.
They were real eye openers. I found that I saved some money cuz some of the ones that I was considering were more money and didn't rate that well.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Who cares about direct wire? Why not use the usb2 port under the tray on top of the dash.
The following users liked this post:
steve392 (07-12-2016)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ji603
Who cares about direct wire? Why not use the usb2 port under the tray on top of the dash.
From what I understand, the Lukas direct wire kit will allow the dash cam to operate while the vehicle is in in "Park" mode (vehicle off). If the camera senses motion or the vehicle is jolted the camera will begin recording so you might be able to determine what happened if your car is damaged in your absence. Also, the kit has a voltage regulator to protect the battery from draining if it gets below a certain voltage, and you can turn the power supply on/of from the regulator if you want.

I do not know the wiring of the USB connection, but I would guess that it does not have a constant power supply, so you could not use Park mode. Even if the USB had a constant power supply (vehicle off), you would run the risk of running down your battery.

Last edited by flamebluef150; 12-28-2014 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ji603
there is a USB port in there???? That is a thing, damn I wont see my truck until the 15th to check! haha
Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by MagMan4x4
there is a USB port in there???? That is a thing, damn I wont see my truck until the 15th to check! haha
Its under the dash tray, back of sync module.... Its a mini usb.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Its under the dash tray, back of sync module.... Its a mini usb.
I wish my truck wasn't parked 60 miles away at the heliport.. I am offshore on a rig right now..

Quick Reply: Best Dashboard Camera with F150