Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beach Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach Driving

I recently bought a 2010 FX4 super crew with the 5.5 bed and wanted to know if anyone had experience driving on the beach with stock tires.

Will I need to use the locking rear or will deflating the tires and going into 4-wheel drive do the trick?

Any tips on beach driving would be greatly appreciated!

I have a tow strap, jack, board, battery charger wtih air, and shovel ready to go will I need anything else?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdnest
I recently bought a 2010 FX4 super crew with the 5.5 bed and wanted to know if anyone had experience driving on the beach with stock tires.

Will I need to use the locking rear or will deflating the tires and going into 4-wheel drive do the trick?

Any tips on beach driving would be greatly appreciated!

I have a tow strap, jack, board, battery charger wtih air, and shovel ready to go will I need anything else?

I have not yet taken my new truck to the beach; however, several times over the years, I have driven on the beach in FWD trucks and SUV's, where I could find access. I never got stuck, never had to lose air from tires, always just used 4-Hi, also never had a locking rear end, just Lim-Slip.

Note however, that was always with 16" or 17" wheels with a lot of rubber sidewall/shoulder surface; not sure how 20's with low profile tires would do?

If near low tide, and the sand is wet or at least damp, it will support the vehicle easily even with faux A/T tires which come stock on a truck. Even with dry sand I have never encountered a problem, just take it slow and be aware of your surroundings.

Also, no matter how much fun it may seem like, and even if they do it in the 'movies', I [wouldn't] run through sand covered with a few inches of ocean water, due to possible concealed hazards and excessive salt water spray. If however, you are even close to the water or running over very wet low tide sand, don't forget to hose off the engine compartment, wheels and undercarriage with plenty of fresh water, as soon as you are done playing, or you might get some corrosion or staining from the salt water spray.

Just a few thoughts I have from my experience, to help avoid one of those "WTF" posts here, later on.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dont Do it

If you like your truck, don't drive on the beach. Its not designed to drive on sand. Rent a jeep if you want to do it and it'll be someone else's problem. I blew a transmission (2nd one.... aftermarket upgraded shell gear) last time I went on the beach in NC and my mechanic was laughing at how much sand came out of the under-carriage. And that was after a 400 mile trip back to NJ. Then my intake manifold went. I decided to get rid of it before more parts started breaking. Granted it was a Chevy Tahoe (insert GM flame here) but I learned my lesson. Sand is very bad for machines.

Now I'm sure a lot will disagree with me, but don't be surprised if you run into problems. If you must go, take it easy and be sure to hose down the undercarriage afterwards.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Klomax23
If you like your truck, don't drive on the beach.
Really? Please.

It must be designed for being a grocery-getter then, as many on this forum think these trucks are for, from reading their posts about complaints about this and that etc etc.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM
10 Strlg. Slvr FX4 S-Cab

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used mine last summer with stock 20's and Pirellis for the week in Outer Banks, NC. Our house was on the 4wd beach so we were on it several times a day. It was great. I did air down my tires as it def. helps. I did use the locker because I could and wanted to try it, but I didn't need it. I was in 4wd high the whole time with tires aired down to 20psi.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwill
Really? Please.

It must be designed for being a grocery-getter then, as many on this forum think these trucks are for, from reading their posts about complaints about this and that etc etc.
So you're telling me stock F150s are designed for beach driving? Im just saying be cautious because sand is different then snow, mud, off-road. Thats why they make sand tires.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beach driving is fine. Just like anything else, be careful and know what you are doing. We take them to Texas beaches all the time. Drove an 08 FX4 SCrew 40 miles round trip on the beach to camp. Its got 90,000 miles on it and has been doing this its whole life.

Momentum is key. If it is safe and no one else around, we keep a decent speed to get through the really soft sand. This was with the 20" wheels, OE tires, at highway air pressures.

Bring a shovel. If you get in trouble, lower your air pressure, down to 12-15psi, that will make a difference.

Go for it. Have fun!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do these SCrews do in 2wd? I have the limited slip and 315/70-17's. I am hoping if I air down to 15 she'll be ok if I'm smart? I just don't want to be the laughing stock for being 'that guy'...

Last edited by SuperDave79; 03-27-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Klomax23
So you're telling me stock F150s are designed for beach driving? Im just saying be cautious because sand is different then snow, mud, off-road. Thats why they make sand tires.
I am saying that stock F-150's are designed for MANY driving tasks, conditions and environments, of which oversand driving is certainly and easily one.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Irishjoe45 (01-05-2013)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I launch and trailer my boat off the sand beach lot next to my house almost every other weekend. Before my 2010 I did it for years with my 2004. My 4 wheel drive does a great job in the sand pulling my boat out of the water

Quick Reply: Beach Driving