Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BDS/Rancho/Rough Country

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BDS/Rancho/Rough Country

I started a thread https://www.f150forum.com/f38/lift-k...stions-184962/ and got a few answers, took some advice and started another thread at another site or 3 and came back for more info.

After my research related to the thread linked above, I have decided to go with the 4" lift.

We have a couple reputable places to get lift kits here, one of them has done 3 trucks for me in the past, but they are not dealers of these kits, even though they can install them if I purchase.

Of course they all push the product they get the best price/profit on so I have heard differing opinions on which gives the best or closest to factory ride quality.

Rough Country is the least expensive @ $2,100.00 installed. My wife had a 4 door Jeep and when I researched lifts I found that this brand was not the one to fit our needs. The consensus was it gets it name because of ride quality.

BDS was middle of the 3 as far as price @ $2,700.00 installed. Having seen these lifts in the past in the 3/4 ton market I have read these kits are adequate. The dealer of this kit says "this is the best".

Rancho is the most expensive @ $3,600.00 but again I go back to the 3/4 ton market and hearing that the components are not strong or adequte.

As I mentioned in my past thread, I have read and used the search feature to compile the questions I have in to one thread. Based on the opinions I have read they are wide spread with pros and cons of all of them.

Having the need to use my truck as a DD (about 200 miles per day) and still pull a travel trailer, the most important is the ride quality. I am hoping to get seperate opinions from the owners of these listed kits. Are the prices I have listed reasonable?

Any other brands I should look at? I will not use 4wheelparts, if they were exclusive to the best of the best and it was free, I would not take it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions given. As stated, I am new to gas, 1/2 ton trucks so I am learning as I go.
The following users liked this post:
fubar (12-27-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 AM
swazispencer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 2010 FX4 screw. I had a Rancho 4" lift and loved it. It was very comfortable on long road trips and short commutes. The shock absorbers I had we're he adjustable RS9000XL and they were great. They are adjustable but I never really adjusted them. I would be safe to say that it was smoother than stock. Much smoother. I liked the rake too. It wasn't nose high like a lot of idiot Southern California "bros" like it around here. It was 1-2" higher in the back so towing would level the truck out. I was running 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers. They were about 35.5" tall. With the stock FX4 wheels I didn't experience any rubbing at all. Overall I was very pleased with the lift kit. I had zero issues with it, and I sometimes miss it when I want to go Offroad and need more ground clearance.
frogfan (12-25-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

1. The rancho can be had WITH the RS9000XL adjustable shocks for $1,900. SAME price as the BDS basic kit

2. Rancho you can resuse the stock 20" or 18" wheels

I have read gobs upon gobs of info on the bds and rancho lifts and rancho has my vote

BTW all I have read about rough country is that is has a rough ride..
frogfan (12-25-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:04 AM
BOOMER-SOONER!!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I too am trying to decide which lift to go with... everyone seems to like the ride of the Rancho and the BDS seems to be a best choice for the money. I have heard the same about Rough Country, that they ride like hell but to me it looks to be identical to the BDS not sure what the difference is exactly that would make the BDS ride better.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 AM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

If you're willing to go with 20" wheels I would do the skyjacker lift because the rear lift is accomplished through their softride springs instead of blocks and will decrease axle wrap. Autoanything has a really good price on them. Jonbar87 has this lift on his truck and loves it. The springs would actually help your towing situation too.
frogfan (12-25-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Rancho has a reputation of over-building. Have you see pics of their lift components?
Look at 'em and you'll prolly disagree with who told you that.
I looked at lifts for a while, then decided to blow 'em off, and go with Fox 2.5 Coilovers and upper control arms, + re-arced leafs, 2" Fox's and the frame bracing and Fox bump-stops.
If you're looking at 'lifts' merely for aesthetics, okay. If you're looking for performance, you get a better setup with Fox or King suspension, and the bracing/ leafs, bumpstops.. You get roughly 3" in front, then whatever you want in the rear, but where you really make out is with 10"+/- of travel, and suspension that will soak up things NO lift kit could do without bouncing your head off the roof of the cab.
Lastly, when I was looking at lifts, I read the install directions on the ones I looked at closely. Rough Country lifts(s) call for CUTTING (in the front dif area IIRC). This means you're not going back to stock.

Last edited by yokev; 12-22-2012 at 04:27 AM.
frogfan (12-25-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 AM
BOOMER-SOONER!!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yokev
Rancho has a reputation of over-building. Have you see pics of their lift components?
I looked at lifts for a while, then decided to blow 'em off, and go with Fox 2.5 Coilovers and upper control arms, + re-arced leafs, 2" Fox's and the frame bracing and Fox bump-stops.
If you're looking at 'lifts' merely for aesthetics, okay. If you're looking for performance, you get a better setup with Fox or King suspension, and the bracing/ leafs, bumpstops.. You get roughly 3" in front, then whatever you want in the rear, but where you really make out is with 10"+/- of travel, and suspension that will soak up things NO lift kit could do without bouncing your head off the roof of the cab.
Lastly, when I was looking at lifts, I read the install directions on the ones I looked at closely. Rough Country lifts(s) call for CUTTING (in the front dif area IIRC). This means you're not going back to stock.
Very good/interesting point. how much did you coil over setup cost you?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 AM
swazispencer

Originally Posted by yokev
You're wrong my friend. My trucks frame had to be cut for the Rancho lift and look at it now, back to stock.

BDS/Rancho/Rough Country-image-2612737410.jpg
Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 AM
swazispencer

By the way, I just snapped that pic, 38degrees out is col for California. Haha
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 84 Likes on 75 Posts

ya rough country is a little rough but not unmanageable. Been in a rancho lift and it was smoother.

Quick Reply: BDS/Rancho/Rough Country