Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Leaking, Positive Terminal Corroding Away

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery Leaking, Positive Terminal Corroding Away

What a CHEAPIE battery terminal on this cable. Cheap stamped metal!

Has anyone else experienced this? My sweetie's 2010 and my 2013 are both experiencing this. Corroding into green powder...

Ford says we gotta buy the whole harness assembly ~$158 - FThat... ordered a FoMoCo terminal alone from Amazon.com for about $13 though we'll have to crimp it onto the cable.

Is there a better aftermarket solution?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Your battery is leaking, causing this? Seems like you've found the real problem!
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (01-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt you need to buy an entirely new harness. If the corrosion is just on the terminal, simply replace the terminal.

I just experienced corrosion build up on my negative terminal because my battery began leaking. Took the terminal off, soaked it in diet coke for about 30min and replaced my battery with a Sears gold!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

After you get the terminals squared away, grab a pair of these doohickeys.

I put a pair of these on every vehicle I own, and change them out when the battery goes kaput. They cost a couple of bucks and you can find them pretty much anywhere, from auto part houses to WallyWorld.

I've never had a corrosion issue with using these on my last 6 vehicles over 15 years.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 984 Likes on 664 Posts

There are also sprays sold at most auto stores tha keeps corrosion from forming. I use it on all my vehicles. Here`s one on Amazon:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eBc--iqSgSPz_w
Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

take off the positive terminal.... is your battery cracked? Thats what's causing the issue.

I just had to fix this over the weekend. I have to put a new battery in next week (Paid off the christmas bills and it isn't emergency enough to hit the emergency fund)

I took a universal clamp from oreilly and made it work...
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...m/ss/01056.jpg

I cut off the corroded part of the OEM terminal, drilled a hole between two of the posts and then tied it all together in OEM fashion....

I'm trying to get the picture off of my phone on how it looks. I'll post it in an update
Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

When I replace the battery I'll be taking the dremel and wire wheel to everything metal to clean it up and cleaning up all the wires and gunk from the "anti corrosion spray".... It makes everything look like ***... and not good ***...
The following users liked this post:
Suburb Cowboy (01-31-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jchargu3

When I replace the battery I'll be taking the dremel and wire wheel to everything metal to clean it up and cleaning up all the wires and gunk from the "anti corrosion spray".... It makes everything look like ***... and not good ***...
I agree, the spray isn't the best. Those felt rings really seem to do the trick. Only wish the factory put them on right out the gate.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

OP buy a new terminal and install it yourself. Take better care of your rig and don't allow this to happen in the future.

I use the MAC battery terminal spray. It works well if you start with a clean surface and there is no prior corrosion.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
OP buy a new terminal and install it yourself. Take better care of your rig and don't allow this to happen in the future.

I use the MAC battery terminal spray. It works well if you start with a clean surface and there is no prior corrosion.

LOL, thanks for judging... I bought this "rig" used a few months ago and this crap appeared rather suddenly during the time I was selling one house and buying another, and I didn't 'zactly spend any time under the hood in that month and a half - I'll try to be better in the future, hope I don't disappoint ya...

I did manage to find a terminal on Amazon (BT4Z-14450-AA), though I will surely need to get a beefy crimper or something similar to get it onto the end of the cable. Right now, I'm working on the house and squeeze things like this in when I've got time.