Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bakflip F1 Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bakflip F1 Installed!

I went back and forth on a few models but after reading various reviews I determined I liked the Bakflips quite a bit. At that point it was a toss up between the G2, FiberMax, and F1. Honestly I think I'd have been happy with all of them but the F1 is made from FRP and can support a bit more weight than the FiberMax and G2 (150 and 100 lbs more). Not a huge deal to me but what really pushed it over is that Bak is doing a rebate for a free BakBox2 with purchase of the F1. Promotion just happened to be going on during my decision time frame (end later this week I think) soo it was a done deal for me at that point.

I ordered from Autoplicity Monday, it shipped on Tuesday, and I got it on Friday. I then installed it on Friday too (during a work break ). It took about 20 minutes to install. I have a spray in bed liner and haven't drilled the drain plugs yet.. so probably add another minute or two for that when I get around to connecting the tubes to it. The install was very easy .. the rails fit pretty easy, the clamps were real easy to get attached, and then the cover itself just snaps right in. The only minor SNAFU I had is that I appear to have had two different metal connectors at the end of my rails (towards the cab that the bolt drops into). One is completely flat and the other is angled. It works fine but was a pain in the *** to get it threaded on one side. I have a call and pics into Bak to figure out if this needs to be changed out .. so far it works fine.

The seals look pretty good. It did stick up a bit where the cover folds but it seems to be flattening out a few days later. I'm guessing it settles in nicely. The cover itself is a quite easy to open and it's nice now to have a piece of mind I can throw stuff in there that I don't want in the cab and have it locked/hidden from view. I haven't had it out in rain yet to confirm seal/lack of wetness. I am hoping it remains dry inside. I'll tell you .. I didn't really care much that the truck came with the tailgate step.. but it's a pretty sweet addon now using it a bit more. Looking forward to getting the Bakbox so I can keep bungees/ratchet straps and a few other things in it.

Took a few pics just after install. Last pic is kayaking this weekend with the cover opened and bungeed. Note: This is not meant to be an ad by any means but just rather thrilled with the outcome thus far and wanted to share. As with my other posts -- if anyone wants to PM me with any questions / thoughts on the subject -- feel free.

I think my next mod needs to be the actuator/auto-locking (with doors) tailgate lock.

Bakflip F1 Installed!-bakflip-main.jpg

Bakflip F1 Installed!-bakflip-angle.jpg

Bakflip F1 Installed!-bakflip-back.jpg

Bakflip F1 Installed!-bakflip-kayak.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks good!!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks awsome. I have a g2 worked flawlessly on my trip to laughlin last week. Enjoy
The following users liked this post:
dustin8201 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

My two cents, I have an F1 on my 2010 Platinum and took it off and put it on my 2013 and have had no problems with it at all and it looks new. Looks great on your truck.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I have the F1 as well. It takes a little while for the rubber to settle and the seals to form well along the bed and transition areas. But otherwise have been hugely satisfied with how it's holding up and overall performance and usability!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys and glad to hear the feedback is promising on the seal fronts. Thus far I have remembered to shut the tailgate first too. Almost got a habit of it now, so hopefully I won't be smashing the thing too often.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Love mine. Best looking cover on the market too IMO.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i need to get one of these.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What do u guys use to keep the cover stay looking new and not fade?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by frdrdr4life
What do u guys use to keep the cover stay looking new and not fade?
I'd like to know also. I use McGuires trim detailer on the rubber/plastic parts but the panels are really oxidized.

Quick Reply: Bakflip F1 Installed!