Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup camera display in rear view mirror went out

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera display in rear view mirror went out

I have a 2012 f150 with 65k miles on it. A few weeks ago the backup camera display in the rear view mirror just stopped working. The backup sensors that go off if you get to close to an object still work, but the display in the mirror does not. There was know flickering or signs that it was about to stop. So I'm wondering if there are things I can try before replacing. My attempts at trouble shooting include the following:

-First, I pulled the connection out of the mirror, blew on it and plugged it back in
-That didn't work so I did the same thing with the connection at the tailgate (under the truck)
-That also didn't do anything so I looked at the fuses I thought would be related to this system and none of them have blown (if anyone knows the number of the fuse, please post)

I'm not sure if the issue I am about to bring up is related, but my friend pointed out that my reverse lights (the little white lights in the middle of my red tail lights) are always on when the truck is on. I'd never noticed that this was happening before, so I have no clue if it's related to my camera/display issue.

I've tried the few things I could think of and would love to hear feedback if anyone else has dealt with similar issues. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:22 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

You have a broken wire somewhere.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by trystan
I have a 2012 f150 with 65k miles on it. A few weeks ago the backup camera display in the rear view mirror just stopped working. The backup sensors that go off if you get to close to an object still work, but the display in the mirror does not. There was know flickering or signs that it was about to stop. So I'm wondering if there are things I can try before replacing. My attempts at trouble shooting include the following:

-First, I pulled the connection out of the mirror, blew on it and plugged it back in
-That didn't work so I did the same thing with the connection at the tailgate (under the truck)
-That also didn't do anything so I looked at the fuses I thought would be related to this system and none of them have blown (if anyone knows the number of the fuse, please post)

I'm not sure if the issue I am about to bring up is related, but my friend pointed out that my reverse lights (the little white lights in the middle of my red tail lights) are always on when the truck is on. I'd never noticed that this was happening before, so I have no clue if it's related to my camera/display issue.

I've tried the few things I could think of and would love to hear feedback if anyone else has dealt with similar issues. Thanks!
I know you said your reverse lights are on all the time, but just to clarify, is that only when it's in park? or when in drive? and presumably they stay on in reverse as well? it's kind of a shot in the dark but I'm just wondering if maybe the shifter position sensor is out of whack. my grandparents had an F350 in which said sensor went bad, and their reverse lights only came on when the truck was in neutral. it's a long shot anyway. but sounds like more likely the display just crapped out prematurely or as Darren said, a wire is broken somewhere.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is when the vehicle is in park, drive and reverse

Quick Reply: Backup camera display in rear view mirror went out