Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default backup camera

hey guys, i went to the dealer for some aftermaket parts, never again!!! lol all i wanted was a back up camera and the mirror that comes with it. dealers way back when, ask for something, get it right away dealers today, ask for something, "can i have your V.I.N.?" i bought my truck cheap! just a plain XLT regular cab 8 foot bed 4X4 with a 5.0, i lifted the suspension and put 35" tires on 20" rims, i have a travel trailer and another trailer for my motorcycles. i live in the travel trailer year round and move alot where work is, in the summer i haul my bikes, so i do alot of hooking up between my 2 trailers and a camera would be nice. "it wont work with the V.I.N." i said to the parts clerk, he wanted it anyways! then he tells me "your truck does not come with a back up camera" "NO ****!!!" was my anser LOL after some convincing, i got him to look it up and how much, he looks in an aftermarket book from a supplier (not ford!) he finds a ford logo with camera that i wanted, he says "i can get it to you for $715.00" i looked at his screen, his cost $569.00! that's like 25% markup! then he said the mirror would cost me close to $500.00 i tell him never mind and turn around, like all the negative A-holes i meet in my life, he tries to tell me they have the best prices anywhere and that it don't matter 'cause my truck aint wired for it and it wont work! so being the A-hole that i am (proffessional not amateur) i told him "you guys, you! a ford dealership! you dont even know how to put your 4X4 transfercase in neutral! so if you dont mind i wont take your word for it!" and walked away. an hour later i'm on the internet buying a O.E.M. ford emblem backup camera for $197.00 and a mirror with 4.3" lcd display for $149.99 LOL as for future items i'd like to buy, now that i know how to put my transfercase in neutral.......(thank you internet) i'm gonna buy a tow bar so i can flat tow my truck behind my work truck the moral of this story, don't go to the dealer when you want something, look for it on the internet and get a better deal, also, trucks are trucks, you want to modify them? go for it! vehicles today are pre-wired for almost everything, my '03 pontiac vibe had no power windows or seats but was wired for it, just like my '12 focus and like my XLT wich does not come with poer seats, i have the wiring for that as well! buy what you need and install it. happy modding to all
Attached Thumbnails backup camera-image-687608360.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by waterboy1974:
sunset (10-07-2014), voiceman (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

you wanna share part #'s & source?
Thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

How about a build thread. I'm sure others would like to know how. I really like my factory installed cam.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this wireless? There's no cable to the mirror.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome that you found a camera and what you need to install. I love my camera as well. The only thing I'd like to point out is 25% markup is tiny. If that's all a company is making, they won't ever survive. But again, awesome that you did find one for a good price.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default echomaster dolphin sonar step backup sensor

Just bought this backup sensor on autoanything. They always have sales and got it for right at $200. Just bought it minutes ago. Would love a camera but I can install this myself and return it if it does not do it for me. anyone else have this?
The following users liked this post:
AutoAnything (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 AM

not wireless, camera comes with 22 feet of cable, mirror looks to have a couple of feet, when i get it i'll let you know, i'll try to take install pics/vids

tailgatecamera.com seems to have alot of options for all types of vehicle and prices are not too bad

at work right now up north, living in my camper, wich will be next to receive a back up camera treatment ;P

my guess, i'll have to drop my roof panel down to pass wires from mirror to the back of cab and conect with camera's wires, a negative will be easy to find, i might use the reverse light as a positive or reverse switch, not sure, never done this before.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 AM

taken from webpage of the camera that i bought

OE style factory emblem camera for Ford F-Series truck Can be used as a front view camera
F150, F250, F350 backup camera with Night Vision Technology - OEM Ford Bezel, replaces factory tailgate emblem

This will fit any Ford with the large blue oval in the center of the tailgate (2005 and up).

Kit includes:

Factory Ford tailgate nameplate/camera mount

Factory Ford blue oval emblem

Camera with night vision technology and selectable distance lines

OEM Ford mounting bolts

Detailed installation instructions

Camera Specifications:

Factory Style Custom Ford Camera (CMOS III)

Super CMOS Sensor with NightVision Technology

22 Foot Male to Male RCA Video Cable with reverse power output trigger wire

Mirror Image

Selectable Parking Guidance Line

Engineered ABS Housing

Resolution (TV LINES): 420

Minimum illumination: <0.2Lux

Angle: 150°

Working Voltage: 9-16V

Operating Temp: -22-+176°F

Water-proof: IP67-IP68

Video System: NTSC (Color)

This kit allows you to see what is directly behind the truck - it will even see the rear bumper and hitch. No monitor or mirror is included in this kit.

Installation Information:

This camera can be connected to your factory Ford navigation or any aftermarket monitor with an RCA input. A Lockpick kit is required if connecting to your factory navigation

Your factory tailgate blue oval is held on with two sided tape, use a heat gun and the included fishing line to work the old emblem off the surface of the tailgate. On older models you will need to drill an access hole for the camera to pass through the surface of the tailgate. On the bottom of the tailgate there is a square water drain that can be used to pass camera harness through. Most 2006 and newer models may already have the required holes so no drilling would be required in this case.

The wire harness has a single point weather resistant connection that connects to the camera near the spare tire under the truck - allows for easy tailgate removal! The harness is 22' long so all connections can be made inside the cab.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 AM

if you read the first line, you will notice it can also be used as a front camera wich is why i bought 2

my problem with a lifted truck is when i go shopping and have to park in little parking spots, i see the toyota when i pull up, but the toyota disapears fast and instead of getting out of the truck to make sure it's not under the bumper, i figured a front camera would be cool too

how am i gonna hook it up to the mirror? not a single clue but i'll figure it out somehow
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

A link works better than copying and pasting the entire website.

http://tailgatecamera.com/collection...back-up-camera

http://tailgatecamera.com

Last edited by Sweatmachine; 09-10-2014 at 12:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sweatmachine:
Bdukes55 (09-10-2014), Commeeche (10-07-2014), Ricktwuhk (10-04-2014)

Quick Reply: backup camera