Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic running boards not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
My 1st F-150!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic running boards not working

Hey all- The auto running boards on my '09 Platinum aren't working properly. I have them on "auto" but they won't return up under the frame. They start to, but then come back down. I tried turning them to "off" and no luck there either. Of course my warranty has expired also. With the snowy weather here, I'd like to keep them up. Any ideas??
Thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I would check all wiring to them because the snow packed up May have got something wet, I'd also check the button on your door frame that tells your truck the doors closed and make sure it works properly. It's definitely some sort of wire issue. Try a couple things then report back.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 AM
OUTDRSMN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Automatic Running board issue

I have a 2011 Limited that did the same thing. In my state we have hard winters and ALOT of salt and stone thrown on the roads. This builds up on the lifting mechanism of the boards. There are sensors built into the boards that will auto lift or deploy if they meet resistance in their motion. In other words if they are trying to lift up and initially start and then go back to being deployed then you most likely have debris in your scissor lifting mechanism. If it were electrical they wouldnt work at all. If you look in your manual, you will see there is maintenance listed for them and all that is involved is simply spraying water at the mechanism to clear it of the mud, rocks, ice, ect. This works but you still need to lubricate the same mechanisms once dry. If you find yourself caught out on the road and it wont return, have someone simply "assist" the board to its closed position by manually pushing and adding assistance. When you get home you can then rinse/work on them.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 PM
OUTDRSMN

Originally Posted by OUTDRSMN
I have a 2011 Limited that did the same thing. In my state we have hard winters and ALOT of salt and stone thrown on the roads. This builds up on the lifting mechanism of the boards. There are sensors built into the boards that will auto lift or deploy if they meet resistance in their motion. In other words if they are trying to lift up and initially start and then go back to being deployed then you most likely have debris in your scissor lifting mechanism. If it were electrical they wouldnt work at all. If you look in your manual, you will see there is maintenance listed for them and all that is involved is simply spraying water at the mechanism to clear it of the mud, rocks, ice, ect. This works but you still need to lubricate the same mechanisms once dry. If you find yourself caught out on the road and it wont return, have someone simply "assist" the board to its closed position by manually pushing and adding assistance. When you get home you can then rinse/work on them.

OK, Need to update my original post. I continued to have problems with my passenger side board. I have a 2011 Limited and on page 108-109 in the manual its says to spray the scissor mechanism with a pressure washer wand. Well, that did mine in. Just last week I washed the truck with board set to "out" on the in dash computer. When I was done the passenger side would not return. So thank you FORD for putting that in the owners manual, lol. It literally did mine in. So I began my own investigation. I got under the board and used a mirror to visualize the motor and plug. I unplugged the wire clip and all the connector pins were mint. There are no other electrical variables besides where the wires go into the motor. I also noted that the "drain hole" at the motor is rusted over. I have no doubt that the water that I sprayed did this unit in. I will tell you that based on other forums the "door switch" mechanism is near the lock and not visible. My board was working right up to the point where I sprayed it as my manual indicated I should do. I am now in a heck of a dilema. I have been having this problem since OCT of 2013. I reported it to my dealership the last two times I had it serviced but since it was not actively acting up when it was there they said they could not do anything for me at those times. I am not over 36,000 miles HOWEVER i am less than a month out of waranty and the very dealer I purchased the truck has directed me to FORD customer service. Today I called them and started the claim ticket process but the catch is that i have been told by my service advisor that FORD will not cover this 100% despite this being a preexisting problem while it was under warranty. So my dilema is this could be a very expensive repair if FORD wants to tack on alot of labor hours. I have already told them that before I pay them tons of money, Ill go to the parts department and order the motor myself and put it on. It is a 4 bolt removal unit. Simple one hour job in my garage. I will update this post... It goes back to the garage again tomorrow for the diagnostics
Selous (08-12-2022)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Just a thought. I think these boards are "AMP Research", not 100% though. If so, maybe give the company a call, and tell them your story. You never know. I have found that many of these Companies are very customer service oriented. Good luck.

Also, you may want to contact Crystal, our customer service rep. here to see if she can help.
OUTDRSMN (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts

My truck doesn't have auto running boards, but your issue made me try to help you out by merely leaving a good tip to you and everyone here.

Regardless of you having your issues fixed by a shop or being just some ice build-up on the moving parts there.

Buy a teflon spray can (de-icer) from any auto place and once your truck is clean, spray the rubber on the doors, on the bed cover, on any plastic part that will move like door handles, and specially metallic moving parts. Don't spray where foot grip is needed or glass, this has deicer properties, but is extremely slippery.
A can (once) was enough for my truck and believe me, no -35°C this winter bonded doors, handles, tailgate or bedcover parts. All opened like if there was no ice build-up all around it. It simply doesn't glue. And this is good for summer as well to keep the rubber in great shape and not even greasy.

Have your issues solved and spray this product right away on it. You won't regret and it costs around $10.
Wanted33 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTDRSMN
...It goes back to the garage again tomorrow for the diagnostics
As others have mentioned, OUTDRSMN, I'll be happy to look into this to see how I can help. If you have your case number handy, PM it to me and I'll check things out. If not, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll start exploring some options.

Crystal
The following 5 users liked this post by FordService:
Flashblitz73 (10-16-2018), jedeckert1984 (03-20-2014), OUTDRSMN (03-20-2014), shuttlepilot (06-19-2017), Wanted33 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by WildernessLVR
My truck doesn't have auto running boards, but your issue made me try to help you out by merely leaving a good tip to you and everyone here.

Regardless of you having your issues fixed by a shop or being just some ice build-up on the moving parts there.

Buy a teflon spray can (de-icer) from any auto place and once your truck is clean, spray the rubber on the doors, on the bed cover, on any plastic part that will move like door handles, and specially metallic moving parts. Don't spray where foot grip is needed or glass, this has deicer properties, but is extremely slippery.
A can (once) was enough for my truck and believe me, no -35°C this winter bonded doors, handles, tailgate or bedcover parts. All opened like if there was no ice build-up all around it. It simply doesn't glue. And this is good for summer as well to keep the rubber in great shape and not even greasy.

Have your issues solved and spray this product right away on it. You won't regret and it costs around $10.
These are great ideas that will definitely help out.

[MENTION=52041]sh1520[/MENTION], I noticed you don't have mudflaps either. I bet that is the #1 contributing factor as to why they don't work. If you can get them working, I would suggest you put a set on. I have see a lot of these AMP boards stuck out around were I live (Alberta, Can.) and every time it's someone with no mudflaps. The snow, grit, salt etc just spray right at the running boards without them.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM
OUTDRSMN

Crystal,

I have all of that information in my glove box in my truck, which is at the dealership as of this morning. I will still get the requested information back to you as soon as I have access to it again.

Thanks,

JB
Old 03-20-2014, 03:17 PM
OUTDRSMN

UPDATE TO MY RUNNING BOARD SAGA

Got my truck just now from my dealer. Turns out that there is a "sensor that triggers the motor at the motor". Here comes the hammer and nail..... Neither the sensor nor the motor are replaceable alone, you have to replace the WHOLE UNIT, the entire step assembly. I was told the price to replace the unit is $1,700 plus labor. I still have not been told that this will be covered under warranty so the responsible party is yet to be determined, that is still being decided by FORD.
I have reported this problem the last two services but since it was an intermittent problem and not malfunctioning at time of service they would not look at it. I would also like to warn everyone that in our owners manual it says to clear the dirt, ect off the lift mechanisms using a power washer wand. I used a standard hose while washing my truck with the boards deployed out. The passenger side never worked again. So regardless of my situation I would not recommend doing what the owners manual says in cleaning that region of the unit. I will post the final decision that is reached once I have been contacted by FORD customer service and the service manager within the next 2 days.

Quick Reply: Automatic running boards not working