Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trac warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trac warning

Hello,

I have a 2011 XLT SuperCrew. I was driving to work one morning, and I noticed the "service autotrac" message illuminated my heads up display and also the autotrac indicator near the tachometer. Also, when I would try to use my turn signals, the indicator light would flash once and then turn off. I would have to hold down the turn indicator lever to keep them on. After work, I started my truck up, the "service autotrac" message was still on, but my turn indicators were working. Eventually everything went back to normal.

I've also had another minor issue. Occasionally the radio/clock display in my truck gives me two exterior temperature readings and shows a symbol of a fan with 5 to 6 bars next it it (they look like cell phone service bars.)

1. What could this issue be?

2. I am scheduled for an appointment this Wednesday, but since the light is now off and everything is functioning normal, is it worth taking into the shop?

3. Has anyone else had similar situations?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM

I can't say I had the Exact Same issue but I know I started my truck up one morning about a year ago (I have a 2010 so display in the dash is different) the truck was flashing the Stability Control Icon. I drove the truck out of the drive way and it almost threw me through the windshield when the brakes locked up. It did it twice more before I stopped and restarted the truck. I've put 60k miles on it since then and have never had a problem. I have heard that sometimes the Stability Control Pulses the brakes to "calibrate" the system but Im not 100%. As far as your turn signals are concerned that to me sounds kind of weird but sometimes weird stuff happens and goes away. Best of luck, keep us posted on what the shop says
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by smkralik
Hello,

I've also had another minor issue. Occasionally the radio/clock display in my truck gives me two exterior temperature readings and shows a symbol of a fan with 5 to 6 bars next it it (they look like cell phone service bars.)

Thanks,
Steve
That isn't two exterior temps, but the interior temp on the left and exterior temp on the right. The cell phone looking bars is the blower motor speed for your heat / air conditioning! haha
Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by smkralik
Hello,

I have a 2011 XLT SuperCrew. I was driving to work one morning, and I noticed the "service autotrac" message illuminated my heads up display and also the autotrac indicator near the tachometer. Also, when I would try to use my turn signals, the indicator light would flash once and then turn off. I would have to hold down the turn indicator lever to keep them on. After work, I started my truck up, the "service autotrac" message was still on, but my turn indicators were working. Eventually everything went back to normal.

2. I am scheduled for an appointment this Wednesday, but since the light is now off and everything is functioning normal, is it worth taking into the shop?

3. Has anyone else had similar situations?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, had the same problem. Ford has a TSB on the problem. It is a software glitch, a ghost in the machine. A patch fixes the problem. Bring it into your dealer to sort.

BTW, have the tech the self test at least twice. The first pass on my truck didn't find any stored codes, the second pass it finally spit out the stored code for the service autotrac light.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTheOracle
Steve, had the same problem. Ford has a TSB on the problem. It is a software glitch, a ghost in the machine. A patch fixes the problem. Bring it into your dealer to sort.

BTW, have the tech the self test at least twice. The first pass on my truck didn't find any stored codes, the second pass it finally spit out the stored code for the service autotrac light.

+1
the one good think my dealer did was fix this issue.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
That isn't two exterior temps, but the interior temp on the left and exterior temp on the right. The cell phone looking bars is the blower motor speed for your heat / air conditioning! haha
The blower motor was turned off, and the "interior" said it was 888 degrees( that's right, 888.)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

All that electrical communication sounds like the charging system is acting up, hopefully you have esp to cover some of these repairs.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

When my turn signals wouldn't stay on and I had the service advancetrac message it was my steering angle sensor glitching out.

Checked steering angle in off road display said my wheels turned 29 degrees driving 45 mph down road.

Next drive would give no steering angle, 2 or 3 cycles to clear service advancetrac and get angle display working.

Had steering rack replaced for free under TSB. No problems since.

Quick Reply: Auto trac warning