Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio and climate

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Audio sound and climate controls dead at the same time

I have a 2012 F150 FX4 and this morning on the way out of my driveway the stereo cut out a couple of times and quit. After playing around with the settings (trying radio and CD) I noticed that the climate control will not even come on. I've done a factory reset, nothing. I checked the fuse for the amp and it was OK. It seems weird they would both die simultaneously.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Pyratemoon; 06-12-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Angry

When I turn the volume **** it says "maximum volume"
Climate is deader than a door nail.
When pushing the buttons on the climate screen they light like they are getting a signal, but nothing.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Talking Fixed

Apparently accidentally pushing the phone button on the steering wheel when phone is out of range will shut down both the audio and the climate control.
In my defense I just completed 15 years in a Toyota Tacoma with zero technology, not even a cup holder.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:24 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

So....how are your cupholders in the truck? Working ok?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM

So apparently not fixed. Just did it again. I updated the Sync, maps and music player after the last episode and a few days later while driving down the highway the sound system cut out twice and then nothing. Everything that is controlled by the screen is dead.
At least the cupholders still work.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:09 AM

You could have a failing APIM or screen.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
You could have a failing APIM or screen.
I'm starting to think you are right.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 PM

Default Dealer still can't fix

The dealer has seen it twice. Once to diagnose and once to replace the APIM and that didn't fix it. They now say it's the amplifier.
I should say this is the Sony sound system with the computer that controls audio, climate, seat heat & cool and seat memory.
When started it bluetooths my phone and acts like it's playing audio and the climate is off. None of the buttons below screen do anything.
When I turn the volume up the screen says "Maximum Volume."
Old 08-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Well, that's all different computers. It's not "the computer" as if it is all one. But, they do have to communicate. The amplifier has some control over the audio system, but it has nothing to do with climate. Maybe it is shorting out everything, not sure if that is possible. If the amp were bad, I would think the climate controls would still work. The Maximum Volume issue does sound like the amp, I think we've had reports of that before on this forum. APIM is in the middle of all this, so it was a likely candidate.

You know, some people go into the wiring and find mice have chewed it to pieces. Are you sure they plugged the FCIM back in? That's the whole faceplate that goes around the screen, including all the physical radio & climate buttons.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 PM

I'm gonna say they were in the dash to do the APIM and none of the buttons worked before or after that's not it. They will be in there again to replace the amp (on back order) as that's where what I would call the preamp is. The Sony amp in the console is fine. I'm sure they want me to go away as much as I want to. Thanks Spiky. The boys on the softball team called me Spikey. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Audio and climate