Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone had to replace their 6r80 Valve body

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default anyone had to replace their 6r80 Valve body

I have a 13' EB XLT with 67K miles and it has been shifting hard ever since the weather has gotten cold. the dealer told me it was because of the valve body and it needs to be replaced at a cost of $1200. Has anyone had a similar issue with this tans?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Define hard shifting. Like every gear? Or certain gears? All the time?

Did you try resetting the KAM?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 AM

like when its below 30 degrees and the first time trough the gears it will slam into every gear 1-6th no matter how long i let it warm up. Once the temp in the trans is up too operating temp it shifts fine. I have not reset the KAM (Im not sure how) and I took it to the dealer thinking it was under warranty (it wasn't) and they said the valve body needs to be replaced. when I first got the truck I had the TSB done for the output shaft sensor so I know its not that.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:42 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Remove the battery cables and touch them together. That will reset the Kam.

There is a TSB about slam shifting but I don't recall what years it effects. Try googling. I will see if I can find anything..
Old 01-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

There is a TSB for Lead Frame replacement. Perhaps it will save you some money if it applies.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Huttar13
I have a 13' EB XLT with 67K miles and it has been shifting hard ever since the weather has gotten cold. the dealer told me it was because of the valve body and it needs to be replaced at a cost of $1200. Has anyone had a similar issue with this tans?
Oh yeah, mine does the same. As well as sloppy up shifting and always downshifting rough including giving a nice 'knock your teeth out' rough downshift on the highway. My dealer(s) told me everything was normal.

Resetting the KAM as other suggested would be the first step. Deerhunter had a similar issue to yours. Eventually he had the dropping to 1st gear recall issue I believe. He replaced the molded lead frame and it cured his issue. Or it did last we heard.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by FLXLT
Oh yeah, mine does the same. As well as sloppy up shifting and always downshifting rough including giving a nice 'knock your teeth out' rough downshift on the highway. My dealer(s) told me everything was normal.

Resetting the KAM as other suggested would be the first step. Deerhunter had a similar issue to yours. Eventually he had the dropping to 1st gear recall issue I believe. He replaced the molded lead frame and it cured his issue. Or it did last we heard.
Yeah I already had the lead frame replaced when I first got the truck 7 months ago. It would do the erratic shifting then get stuck in 5th gear. This time though it's as if there's a sledge hammer hitting into every gear on the upshift but it only does it when it's really cold out like below freezing. My dealer already told me it wasn't normal and that the valve body itself needs to be replaced. This is the first I've ever heard of this issue and just curious if anyone has had to have the valve body replaced not just the lead frame
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're familiar with FORScan you can do a PCM reset on all adaptors. I believe it is similar to a KAM reset but you don't have to disconnect the battery. I do this regularly on mine as I notice over time the shifting get "sluggish" as well as throttle response.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Huttar13
Yeah I already had the lead frame replaced when I first got the truck 7 months ago. It would do the erratic shifting then get stuck in 5th gear. This time though it's as if there's a sledge hammer hitting into every gear on the upshift but it only does it when it's really cold out like below freezing. My dealer already told me it wasn't normal and that the valve body itself needs to be replaced. This is the first I've ever heard of this issue and just curious if anyone has had to have the valve body replaced not just the lead frame
Did they tell you how they know your valve body is bad? I would be interested if the techs have a way of testing these with IDS or it if they draw a conclusion from symptoms. Doesn't seem like the drop they pan and bench test them.

Do any of our techs here have some insight? I know when replacing solenoids, the flow rate for the solenoid can be pulled from IDS and if a valve body assembly is replaced the serial number needs to be entered into the PCM with IDS.

Last edited by FLXLT; 01-25-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 AM

UPDATE:

I was driving this weekend and it was around 45 degrees outside and the truck was slamming into as it went through the gears for the first time and this is the first time it has done it when the temperature is above freezing outside. It shifted so hard that it actually threw a code for the first time. Code P0715 Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor. I have an appointment later this week at the dealer to have it looked at. I will keep this thread updated with the info I get back from the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
Dunrollin (01-29-2018)

Quick Reply: anyone had to replace their 6r80 Valve body