Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you guys have excessive wind turbulance noise from window

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any of you guys have excessive wind turbulance noise from window

I own a 2013 F-150 super crew. It developed a very annoying wind air turbulence noise coming from the front passenger window area. It sounds as if the window is cracked open but it is fully shut. Had it into the Ford dealer 5 times so far they replaced 2 different window seals and have made multiple adjustments. Nothing has resolved the noise! Dealer and Ford Regional Customer Service is telling me that noise is normal for this generation of F-150 design. So I'm asking you owners of 09-14 F-150's if you experience any wind turbulence noise around any windows, especially the front passenger window? And if you think it's normal for this truck design? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a 13 and have had the same wind noise at the same window. It's only occasionally and only at highway speeds. I've often wondered if it just wasn't strong winds on that side of the truck. I've pulled over during long trips and removed the radio antenna thinking that was the issue. I wouldn't consider the noise to be acceptable, it can be pretty annoying. The rest of the truck is quite it's just that one window. Sorry I don't have a fix, just the same noise!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a slight whistle at highways speeds on mine, but I've also got Weathertec rain guards on and have always attributed the noise to those.

I don't remember any noise before putting them on though.

Something I did notice, my GF likes to close the passenger vents, and when I crank on the air it sounds like there's a whistle coming from the passenger side window.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Havyek
I have a slight whistle at highways speeds on mine, but I've also got Weathertec rain guards on and have always attributed the noise to those.

I don't remember any noise before putting them on though.

Something I did notice, my GF likes to close the passenger vents, and when I crank on the air it sounds like there's a whistle coming from the passenger side window.
This has happened to me before too!! My wife will close a vent on her side and I spend 10 minutes trying to figure out where that whistle is coming from before seeing the vent is closed.

I have also seen where guys will take 3/8 round foam weather stripping and slide it through the door seal creating a thinker seal between the door and the jam.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to know im not the only one. I won't call mine excessive but you can hear it. Maybe the xm antenna on top?? Dunno
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought everyone did. There was a thread about door alignment I read that said nearly *all* the F150's this guy looked at on the lot had the same drivers door gap.

Mine does too.

I am looking into modding the striker bar to fix it.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Never noticed but I did notice the gap around the windshield. No seal between edge (pillar) and glass. Floating edge..
Leaving a channel the whole vertical edges
Think that could have anything with it?
First thing i thought of....

Beside ac vent.
Or vent to the outside air not sealed.
Mirrors?..

Have to check out door jams gaps when my trucks back from the store.

Last edited by Allquad; 09-17-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm..interesting. The dealer has adjusted my door gap, door jam, etc.. Nothing fixes the turbulence noise! My trucks vents are open so that cannot be my problem. I even tried folding the passenger side view mirror in and it still made the noise. Was thinking the side mirror was the culprit. But no. It only occurs on my passenger front window. The driver's side doesn't do it. Mine can be heard at 45MPH and above. It is very annoying and I don't consider it acceptable. Mine also never made the noise prior to 12k miles on the truck.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My '11 crew does this! i thought i was the only one. it will only do it when im hitting a strong headwind, but it is pretty loud. I cant come up with anything other than the windshield on that side, thought about running a bead of silicone down the gap in the glass to see if it fixed it, but was unsure whether thatd be a good idea or not haha
Old 09-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by FortKnox
I've got a 13 and have had the same wind noise at the same window. It's only occasionally and only at highway speeds. I've often wondered if it just wasn't strong winds on that side of the truck. I've pulled over during long trips and removed the radio antenna thinking that was the issue. I wouldn't consider the noise to be acceptable, it can be pretty annoying. The rest of the truck is quite it's just that one window. Sorry I don't have a fix, just the same noise!
Originally Posted by f86sabjf
Glad to know im not the only one. I won't call mine excessive but you can hear it. Maybe the xm antenna on top?? Dunno
Originally Posted by orntar
I thought everyone did. There was a thread about door alignment I read that said nearly *all* the F150's this guy looked at on the lot had the same drivers door gap.

Mine does too.

I am looking into modding the striker bar to fix it.
Originally Posted by Allquad
Never noticed but I did notice the gap around the windshield. No seal between edge (pillar) and glass. Floating edge..
Leaving a channel the whole vertical edges
Think that could have anything with it?
First thing i thought of....

Beside ac vent.
Or vent to the outside air not sealed.
Mirrors?..

Have to check out door jams gaps when my trucks back from the store.
Hey gang,

I recommend letting the certified techs at your dealership take a look. Pass along the year and mileage of your trucks; I'll see how I can help with the noise.

Chad

Quick Reply: Any of you guys have excessive wind turbulance noise from window