Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another question for the Canadian boys

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Another question for the Canadian boys

Has anyone ever ordered something from the states and had it shipped to a ups store on the states side then just driven across the border and picked it up? reason being is I want to buy a corsa exhasut but up here in Canada they are easily $400-$500 more than ordering out of the states then on top of that a cpl hundred for shipping. I use to know a couple of people that did it all the time but are no longer in contact with them, its great for me because I live 40 minutes from the border. I just dont know how you set it up so when it arrives at the ups store they call you instead of sending it back..
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went to: theupsstore.com Check out their Mailbox services link and I think you'll find
what you need.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
FishingJunkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Google 'shipping point' and the name of closest US border city. Worked for me here in Vancouver, at least.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Can you ship it USPS because you wont get those pesky brokerage fees.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone else on the forum mentioned something similar to this. Their are companies on the boarder that will hold an item delivered to them in their wearhouse and i think it costs like $6. You can pick it up from their, pay them and then try and slide through the border with the new updated rules regarding how much you can take back.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
someone else on the forum mentioned something similar to this. Their are companies on the boarder that will hold an item delivered to them in their wearhouse and i think it costs like $6. You can pick it up from their, pay them and then try and slide through the border with the new updated rules regarding how much you can take back.
This....

Just google "us mailbox" for a location near you.
Bonus points if you can find an installer near the border to install your new system and drive back with the old used (less valuable) system in your bed.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 PM
2011 XLT XTR SCrew 4x4 EB

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Triple points if you pick it up, drive to Walmart and install in the parking lot. Ditch the stock junk and head to the duty free for some cheap booze on the way home.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoostedFitz
Triple points if you pick it up, drive to Walmart and install in the parking lot. Ditch the stock junk and head to the duty free for some cheap booze on the way home.
yeah thanks for all the info and advice, the $6 holding fee is what i recall to and the walmart plans sounds great....
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the wal-mart parking lot service calls. I prefer target actually... lol.

Depending where in Canada you are coming from, I use these guys regularly, and have been more than impressed. www.cbiusa.com

No storage fees, flat rate for any size shipment (minus pallet shipments, a small surcharge), etc. Great customer service, I have been more than happy with them. And, only 10 minutes from the border, which is a bonus. And 10 minutes to Target, lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedFitz
http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/b...-eng.html#s2x6

Under customs legislation, if you take any item outside Canada and change it in any way to enhance its condition or value, the CBSA does not consider it to be the same item when you bring it back into the country. You have to declare the full value of the new item.

Basically, they tax you on the cost of the modification on top of the price of the vehicle. $50,000 truck + $500 exhaust system = taxes on $50,500. Will they ever do it? Likely not, but I'm not sure I'd chance it!

OP, check out https://www.kinek.com/ I've been using Edge Logistics in Blaine, WA. $5 flat fee to hold an item up til a month. Not sure where you are, but Kinek just hooks you up with places willing to do cross-border like this.

Edit:

"If you intend to have repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft outside Canada, check with the CBSA for information before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider your vehicle, vessel or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition or have it modified outside Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST) on the entire value of the vehicle/vessel/aircraft when you bring it back."

1 para below where I linked. Guess I'm up too late to have missed that.

Quick Reply: Another question for the Canadian boys