Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another heated/cooled seats problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Another heated/cooled seats problem thread

I have read a few threads pertaining to our heated/cooled seats and I didn't really see my problem. My seats have quit heating. I can hear the fans come on when I turn on the heat but no heat. To be honest, I cannot ever remember hearing the fans for the heated function especially as loud as they are now. It also feels almost like the cooling is on instead. I have read about the TED being the issue but I am not sure. For those that don't know, my seats do not have a heating element in the cushion so that's not it.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be? Anyone ever clean the filter on them? That is going to be my next step.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

The filter isn't much. It's more like a grate, like on a storm sewer. Assuming you've exhausted switches, wiring, and power issues, and it's still not heating, then the TED is the heat source. If it's broke....
Old 03-04-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
The filter isn't much. It's more like a grate, like on a storm sewer. Assuming you've exhausted switches, wiring, and power issues, and it's still not heating, then the TED is the heat source. If it's broke....
Well I can't say I have "exhausted" all those. No switch, just the touch screen. When touched, they turn red so it is showing that it's on. Wiring or power issues, well when they come on, I hear both fans come on and stay on. I am assuming with all that, there is power. I certainly could be wrong. Reason I wondered about the filter is the fans are louder than I have ever heard. I was thinking the filter may be dirty and the fans were louder because they were trying to move enough air. Some pics I saw had actual filters in the housing. Others were like yours with just a grate. I am going to take a look tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:06 PM

Curiosity got the best of me and I went out to check the filter. I have the cages and no filter so that's not it.

I disconnected the negative post on the battery. I'll let it sit overnight and see if that helps at all. Doing some more research, it seems the blower fans coming on higher than normal can be an indicator of an overheat situation. I guess it could still be the TED. We'll see what tomorrow will bring.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would surmise that if the fans are coming on during the heating process, that the TED is not activating to provide heat to the duct side. On my 13, the fans for the heat do not blow as hard on Heat as they do on AC. also when in heat mode, you can hear them cycle up and down but never as high as the cool settings.

Pull the fan and Ted unit from the seat bottom and then plug it back in and fire it up with it in your hand. It is installed on the middle of the seat bottom and clips under the metal portion of the seat bottom. you should feel hot from the air channels where it blows up to the seat and then cool from the exhaust when in heat mode.

keep in mind, there are two of them per seat. One underneath the seat bottom and one zipped up behind the pouch.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pickupman66
I would surmise that if the fans are coming on during the heating process, that the TED is not activating to provide heat to the duct side. On my 13, the fans for the heat do not blow as hard on Heat as they do on AC. also when in heat mode, you can hear them cycle up and down but never as high as the cool settings.

Pull the fan and Ted unit from the seat bottom and then plug it back in and fire it up with it in your hand. It is installed on the middle of the seat bottom and clips under the metal portion of the seat bottom. you should feel hot from the air channels where it blows up to the seat and then cool from the exhaust when in heat mode.

keep in mind, there are two of them per seat. One underneath the seat bottom and one zipped up behind the pouch.
Thanks for the reply. After the battery being disconnected overnight, everything is working fine now. I am fairly sure the problem will come back though. I have read many threads that state disconnecting the battery worked for a while but then the issue came back. I would guess that if one of the TED's is bad, it would most likely be the drivers seat cushion one. I will update this thread if anything changes.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:51 PM
2013 Ruby Red FX4 SCrew

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by funmoneypit150
Thanks for the reply. After the battery being disconnected overnight, everything is working fine now. I am fairly sure the problem will come back though. I have read many threads that state disconnecting the battery worked for a while but then the issue came back. I would guess that if one of the TED's is bad, it would most likely be the drivers seat cushion one. I will update this thread if anything changes.
Any updates???? My 2013 FX4 heated/cooled drivers side is acting similar. O remote start, the seat heats fine. But when I start the truck and turn on the seat heater, I get the fan cutting in for cooling only.
Thanx for any update
The following users liked this post:
Regularmowing (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FordEver
Any updates???? My 2013 FX4 heated/cooled drivers side is acting similar. O remote start, the seat heats fine. But when I start the truck and turn on the seat heater, I get the fan cutting in for cooling only.
Thanx for any update

Mine having been doing the same forever !! Works then doesn't , driving me up the wall.Has anyone figured this out?

Old 02-18-2020, 10:43 AM
has left the building

Received 3,377 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Regularmowing
Mine having been doing the same forever !! Works then doesn't , driving me up the wall.Has anyone figured this out?
Go to my profile page and look for posts I've made. I have 2 or 3 active threads with heated/cooled seat checks and solutions.

My most recent thread is linked to another that that has pictures attached to help determine some potential problems.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue and mine (2015 F150 Lariat) was the TED, once replaced the lower the back was blowing cold as well but the bottom was warm, I have ordered the back TED; PN: GU5Z-19N550-A and DU5Z-19N550-D for the lower if this helps anyone with the heated/cooled seats not heating, I think these parts work for a variety of vehicles.

Quick Reply: Another heated/cooled seats problem thread