Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ford Rotor Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another Ford Rotor Complaint Thread

I have a 2011 FX4 Crew with EB with 60k miles now. By 15k, it vibrated so bad I complained till dealer replaced them. At 40k, it was unbearable again and I just had them turned. Now at 60k it was at the unbearable state again but no way I was putting Ford rotors on again. I bought some NAPA Premiums and out of the box I bet they weighed 5 pounds more than the Ford rotors. Much beefier around the vents too. I was going to replace pads, but still at a good 75% or more (to give you an idea of my driving habits). I was shocked how well the pads were holding up.....not so much on the rotors.

I don't think I've ever owned a truck that the rotor vibration got as violent as this F150. My last 2 trucks had the rotors turned once at most in the first 100k miles. Hard braking on the interstate was just plain scary.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Most of the time this happens when people are heavy on the brakes like coming off the highway. These are not light trucks! And it only takes one time overheating the rotors makes them warp. The only other thing I have seen is people that drive with 2 feet drag the brakes!
The following users liked this post:
Heel70 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck had about 7000 on it when the back rotors were so bad it was like riding a horse... fortunately i work at napa auto parts i put the Reactive 1 rotors on the front which are slotted with ultra premium pads and for back i did ultra premium rotors with Ultra premium pads and what a difference when i am towing they stop on the dime and peddle is not mushy as it was.... The ford ones really sucked and i have a hard time letting others touch my truck lol so i just did them myself rather than do warranty work

Last edited by laxincg; 07-19-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazmonkey05
Most of the time this happens when people are heavy on the brakes like coming off the highway. These are not light trucks! And it only takes one time overheating the rotors makes them warp. The only other thing I have seen is people that drive with 2 feet drag the brakes!
Except in the most extreme conditions (and the writer of this article had never seen one) rotors do not warp. They suffer from uneven material deposition or poor machining with runout that is out of spec.

Here's the article: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

And another: http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/
The following 2 users liked this post by Kenferg1:
Alamo_Jake (07-23-2015), KR Kodi (08-02-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

I put Napa ultra premiums on my old GMC and they are a good piece. My old Sierra's rotors were rusting away actually and these replacements have been on for a few years and still look good.

My FX4 has a wobble from the front rotors at only 20000 miles... I will likely junk all 4 of them for something better. My one rear got chewed up when an axle shaft snapped so it's a good excuse to upgrade.

My XLT is approaching 35000 miles and it's brakes are fine... for now.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My truck has a awful vibration it's been doing it for a while but it's way worse now. I'm easy on my brakes and rarely haul alot of weight. When I got my used 02' I put on new rotors, brake pads and, greased my caliper slides with bearing grease and never had a problem and I would weigh it down hauling all kinds of crap.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

I just hit the 20,000 mile mark and I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this issue.
Is it alot to expect a $50,000 vehicle to not have this issue.......??

I noticed it first on the middle of my 2,000 miles away family vacation.
It's getting worse and I'm not happy about it.

I'm curious if Ford will cover this since it's a wear and tear item.
I am quite easy on my brakes too, so there's really NO REASON for this.

The Ford dealer I bought it from is an hour away and I have several alot closer to me.
I'm going to take it in and have them inspect it. Last thing I need is for these out
of whack rotors to break a caliper with my family in a moving behemoth.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboyb
I don't think I've ever owned a truck that the rotor vibration got as violent as this F150. My last 2 trucks had the rotors turned once at most in the first 100k miles. Hard braking on the interstate was just plain scary.
EXACTLY!!!!

Every GM vehicle I've owned, and even my last Lexus were on OEM rotors up to 100K
Even beyond with a turn or two to balance them out.

I'm shocked with this being my 1st brand new vehicle purchase this happening.
brakes are crucial to your survival too......I'm definitely pissed about it.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:03 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

My last truck - GMC 2007 had rotors that warped so bad, I made the financial mistake of turning them, never again, 10,000km later they were warped worse than ever. I put a cheap set on and they were smooth as glass 100,000km+ later when I traded it in.

I've heard of GM products having awesome brakes prior to that year model.

Moral of the story is don't have rotors turned, just replace them!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Ford Rotors are suspect at best ... my '07 Mustang GT the right front warped pretty early in life (40K miles) and I just replaced them vs. turning. I've heard the same from many Ford owners ... so if the F-150 gets that way, in the recycling center they go!
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (07-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Another Ford Rotor Complaint Thread