Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto With Tablet in Older 2009 Ford F-150 (How To)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 PM
awh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Android Auto With Tablet in Older 2009 Ford F-150 (How To)

OK - So instead of thinking about buying a new truck (holding out for 2018!) I decided to add some upgrades to my 2009 Ford F-150 Lariat.

I wanted to add a tablet of some kind and see if I could use Google maps (I had an extra ASUS MemoPad 7-inch tablet). I then discovered the latest version of Android Auto 2.0.6427 (which doesn't require an Android Auto-enabled radio in the vehicle). SO I thought "why can't I wi-fi tether this tablet to my phone and use it for Google Maps and also use any of the Audio apps available for Android Auto (using Bluetooth through SYNC)?".

So that's what I did! Found a great little tablet holder that slips in the CD slot (who uses CDs these days anyways?). It holds the tablet firmly and doesn't bounce around. It doesn't get in the way of many controls (see pics). Got a small charger adapter and a short USB cord that is just the right length.

Of course I still have to use my phone for calls through Bluetooth/SYNC as usual (won't work thru the tablet), but everything else works fine.

Android Auto at the Play Store tells you that any tablet is not compatible (since it's only for phones). But that didn't stop me. Go to APK mirror and download the version you need based on processor type and it installs and works fine.

So far I'm running these apps:
  • Google Maps
  • Pandora
  • Google Play Music
  • Radio Paradise
  • Tune-In Radio
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher

And there are more Android Auto compatible apps on the way!

Sorry about the dark pictures!

APK Mirror Android Auto Link: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-6427-release/

Tablet Holder Link: https://www.amazon.com/Ppyple-Univer.../dp/B00C31MF0W

Holder details: http://www.ppyple.com/cd-nt-page

Go have fun!

Last edited by awh; 01-24-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 1,603 Likes on 904 Posts

What's the benefit of installing AA on your tablet and then controlling/running the phone apps with the tablet via AA versus simply installing all those same apps on the tablet?
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadPilot
What's the benefit of installing AA on your tablet and then controlling/running the phone apps with the tablet via AA versus simply installing all those same apps on the tablet?
I'm just guessing by what I've seen of Android Auto....

It's probably just a dumbed down launcher with big tiles to select apps instead of whatever the stock tablet launcher looks like.

This is something I would like to do. Mainly for engine info via a OBDII Bluetooth dongle. I could just use my GS7 wonder phone, I guess.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM
awh

All apps ARE installed on the tablet! Plus the apps that allow switching to different songs are controlled by the controls on the sterring wheel. Main thing is Google Maps and a bigger eaiser to see interface than the phone.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I could download Android auto onto my Galaxy s7 and run everything on my phone instead of the tablet? I don't really need the large screen.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:11 PM
awh

Originally Posted by 4VMach1
So I could download Android auto onto my Galaxy s7 and run everything on my phone instead of the tablet? I don't really need the large screen.
Yes!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awh
Yes!
Sweet!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 579 Likes on 296 Posts

possibly that the tablet doesn't have a signal to a carrier like AT&T, etc. He can basically control certain apps on his phone with his tablet. It's all there right in front of him on a bigger screen
Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 PM
awh

Originally Posted by tland4
possibly that the tablet doesn't have a signal to a carrier like AT&T, etc. He can basically control certain apps on his phone with his tablet. It's all there right in front of him on a bigger screen
No apps running on the phone at all. All on the tablet. Just using the phone (Galaxy S4) to wi-fi tether. I just like the bigger screen when I'm driving and trying to touch a button.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 1,603 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by awh
No apps running on the phone at all. All on the tablet. Just using the phone (Galaxy S4) to wi-fi tether. I just like the bigger screen when I'm driving and trying to touch a button.
That's what I thought. Well, that and being able to control some of the apps with the controls on the vehicle, too.

I have a 2016 Z06 with Android Auto. I love being able to control the phone apps with the screen in the vehicle. Just wish they'd hurry up and make more apps AA compatible.

Also, the screen goes up and down with the push of a button, revealing a hidden storage compartment that has a USB jack. Connect your phone, put it in there and raise the screen. Android Auto + charging your phone + phone is hidden from view.

Android Auto With Tablet in Older 2009 Ford F-150 (How To)-z06_hidden_storage.jpg