Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Light

Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Airbag Light

Hey all, having an issue with the Airbag system. The light on the dash comes is on solid no flashing of any codes. When I turn the key it would normally light(with all the others like CEL) and then turn off. Now when I turn the key it lights then turns off for a second and then come back on constantly, no flashing.

I have tried reading the codes with Torque and with SCT but nothing shows...is there something that can read airbag codes which I am guessing is stored in the BCM?

I can take a video if anyone thinks that will help diagnose.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I'm not familiar with the programs you used to read the code but have you tried taking it to a auto parts store and having them read it?

I dont know if their readers can pull the code or not.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

All the places around me just read Engine codes not body codes...dealer wants 1 hour of time to even diagnose what the issue is.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You cannot read it with a regular OBD 2 reader, you need to have an actual OE level scan tool to read the code, it could be as simple as a clock spring in the steering wheel or an impact sensor that is faulty. Either way the airbag system could be deactivated if that light is on, so IMO its worth the $100 to me to get it checked at least at the dealer and know the airbags work when you need them, if you don't know anyone with an OE level access scan tool its best to bite the bullet and get it over with at the dealer
Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Robob
You cannot read it with a regular OBD 2 reader, you need to have an actual OE level scan tool to read the code, it could be as simple as a clock spring in the steering wheel or an impact sensor that is faulty. Either way the airbag system could be deactivated if that light is on, so IMO its worth the $100 to me to get it checked at least at the dealer and know the airbags work when you need them, if you don't know anyone with an OE level access scan tool its best to bite the bullet and get it over with at the dealer

This^^

If that light is on and you get in an accident, your airbags will NOT deploy.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Couple of quick questions.
did you have the radio out recently?
Do you have anything sitting on the Passenger front seat?
Two common things that happens and will set the light is forgetting to plug in the connector at the top of the center bezel and having some weight on the passenger front seat...
Old 05-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You'll need the Ford IDS scan tool to access these codes, unless you know somebody that has a scanner that has the ability to access different modules. A regular code reader won't be sufficient.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

My 2011 XLT had an airbag issue which took about 3 trips to dealer. Turned out the pass seat track had a short which deactivated the whole system. Took about $900 in parts, thumbs up for warranty!

It's worth having checked for sure, could be simple. Either way, if the light is on, the whole system is down.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Light