Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bags, opinions still the same? Firestone, Air Lift, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Air bags, opinions still the same? Firestone, Air Lift, etc.

I have a 2011 fx4 with boss f150 coils up front at 2.75 and a 3" autospring block in the back with boss shocks. Looking to add air bags to assist when hauling my 18' flat bed with Kubota l3800 4wd loader and a 28' camper weighing in at around 6500 loaded up.

I have been reading tons of threads on brand and model reviews and am wondering whats the verdict for our trucks? I installed my lift so I imagine I can install any of these kits but I am wondering what is the best for my truck with the lift and keep it riding good when unloaded for daily driving. I haven't read a bad thing about the firestones yet. I do not think I have read anything terrible about the air lifts yet except for the ultimate kits with the jounce built in bump stops. I keep reading bad reviews on this model for our truck that it does not allow for enough travel and rides bad.

Looking forward to your thoughts and reviews. Please post model as well as brand if you do not mind. I know there is tons of threads on this but none with a lot of replies.

Thanks all!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:20 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Not only do I favor Firestone for our trucks (I've also owned airlift in the past... Good product!....) BUT Since you have a lifted rear block, definitely go with Firestone because the bottom mount sits OVER the leaf pack.
(Airlift bottom bracket sits "inside"of the leaf pack & straddles over the bump stop ear on an OEM block). It not only looks kinda "funky", though it works, but because you changed your rear block, you would need to modify the lower bracket set up & use longer bolts, etc....
Just better to go with Firestone in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon
Not only do I favor Firestone for our trucks (I've also owned airlift in the past... Good product!....) BUT Since you have a lifted rear block, definitely go with Firestone because the bottom mount sits OVER the leaf pack.
(Airlift bottom bracket sits "inside"of the leaf pack & straddles over the bump stop ear on an OEM block). It not only looks kinda "funky", though it works, but because you changed your rear block, you would need to modify the lower bracket set up & use longer bolts, etc....
Just better to go with Firestone in my opinion.
Good info and thank you. Do you need to do anything special for the install with the added block I have such as the 2wd bracket I hear mentioned from time to time? You recommend any specific place to purchase?
Old 07-22-2016, 02:28 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Originally Posted by Solar07
Good info and thank you. Do you need to do anything special for the install with the added block I have such as the 2wd bracket I hear mentioned from time to time? You recommend any specific place to purchase?
No, nothing special at all.
Here's a link to my install:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/rear-a...-combo-277842/

No specific place ...Just shop around for prices & great service.
I got my first set off of one of the vendors on here, then I got my son a set from the classified section on here.

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 07-22-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Local 134 guy

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had the Firestone bags for over a year. It's an
easy install and they work quite well. Here's mine with 50 psi and a yard of topsoil (around 1ton) I only hauled a couple loads a few miles, but glad I had them. Towed a trailer from NJ to IL (around 4K lb) it was a smooth ride and they kept my truck level. I also have the boss coilovers set to about 3".

Normally Running 5-8 psi,which is very soft gives a little lift in the rear.

Only con for me is If you do serious off-roading, you might want limit straps as these might tear if you really flex it. They say to deflate them when lifting from the frame;you have the weight of the axle pulling on the bags and it does not look good! After I saw that I removed the 9/16 bolt from the bottom of the bags. Put them back after service.
Model FIR2525

Last edited by kersh04; 07-22-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:02 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Why not Timbrens?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Local 134 guy

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannafbody
Why not Timbrens?
For me, I like being able to adjust the ride, and the fact that I got a little lift out of it. My truck was a little nose high after I put on the coilovers.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wannafbody
Why not Timbrens?
I dont know much about them. What is their story?
Old 08-09-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon
No, nothing special at all.
Here's a link to my install:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/rear-a...-combo-277842/

No specific place ...Just shop around for prices & great service.
I got my first set off of one of the vendors on here, then I got my son a set from the classified section on here.
Lethal,

Can these compressors be used to inflate a tire?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Originally Posted by Solar07
Lethal,

Can these compressors be used to inflate a tire?
I have the light duty compressor in my set up now & works great for the air bags. I think the heavier (all metal construction compressors) would definitely do better. (I've had those before too & they work great).
The light duty compressor takes a little longer, but may still air up a tire in an emergency situation.... But I don't want to give mis information, so you may want to give airlift a call & ask them for sure.

Quick Reply: Air bags, opinions still the same? Firestone, Air Lift, etc.