Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Tailgate Handle Backup Camera Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 AM
Superstar Member?

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Aftermarket Tailgate Handle Backup Camera Questions

Just got my tailgate handle camera in the mail the other day. Going to wire it up to my aftermarket Pioneer 4200, but the wiring is odd to me..

Questions:
-I've read in other threads that you can cut the black wire which will remove the parking lines. Is this the same black wire on the camera I purchased?
-If so, where is the ground? I would normally imagine the black wire (connected to my red power wire) is the ground and I only have one black wire?..
-If I only have a red power cable, ground cable and yellow composite video cable, how does the camera know when to turn on? I was expecting a remote wire hookup, same as an external amp

My goal:
Long story short, is to just get the thing wired up and working when I reverse and MAYBE manually select the backup camera button on my headunit when I'm in Drive just to see what's behind me.

Trying to avoid:
Really don't want to wire the thing up so it's ALWAYS on and drains the battery. That seems incredibly dumb, but I'm surely missing something..

Tailgate Handle

Thanks in advance..
Old 08-24-2016, 01:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Di Lullo
Just got my tailgate handle camera in the mail the other day. Going to wire it up to my aftermarket Pioneer 4200, but the wiring is odd to me..

Questions:
-I've read in other threads that you can cut the black wire which will remove the parking lines. Is this the same black wire on the camera I purchased?
-If so, where is the ground? I would normally imagine the black wire (connected to my red power wire) is the ground and I only have one black wire?..
-If I only have a red power cable, ground cable and yellow composite video cable, how does the camera know when to turn on? I was expecting a remote wire hookup, same as an external amp

My goal:
Long story short, is to just get the thing wired up and working when I reverse and MAYBE manually select the backup camera button on my headunit when I'm in Drive just to see what's behind me.

Trying to avoid:
Really don't want to wire the thing up so it's ALWAYS on and drains the battery. That seems incredibly dumb, but I'm surely missing something..

Tailgate Handle

Thanks in advance..
1. Your camera has to support turning the lines off by cutting a wire. It looks to me that yours doesn't support that, so do not cut anything.

2. Yes. Power, ground, video.

3. You would wire the camera into the reverse light power. The camera would then only get power when your in reverse. The head unit knows to switch over to reverse view because it also has a connection (that should hopefully be hooked up) that tells it when you shifted into reverse.

Also, wiring the camera this way will make it so you can not select it in the head unit to view anytime. It only has power and is on when in reverse.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can take a SP/DT switch, and run a wire from the center pole to the camera, run another wire from pole to the backup lamp wiring, and then a seperate fuse wire from a key on power source to the other pole, Switch one way power comes from the backup lamp wire. The other way power will come from the fused source. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Tailgate Handle Backup Camera Questions