Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket parts by Insurance company

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Aftermarket parts by Insurance company

Some old man ran into me 2 weeks ago. I dropped my truck off at the body shop to get fixed and State Farm is telling him to put on an aftermarket bumper and not OEM.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem from their insurance company wanting to fix your vehicle on the cheap?
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

That should be against the law.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look a this
https://www.statefarm.com/claims/res...parts-promises
https://static1.st8fm.com/en_US/cont...cled-parts.pdf

Last edited by jeffster; 06-11-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added second link
Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I'd fight it. OEM only unless you agree to something else ie. Upgrade.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Unfortunately you can't do much about it unless you file it with your own insurance and hope they will do OEM for you or supplement it to get the OEM. The aftermarket parts out there are very good, but as we are all aware, they won't be exactly the same.

I was an insurance adjuster for almost 6 years and dealt mostly with fatality accidents for a major insurance provider. I dealt with this OEM issue ALL the time. The laws that govern insurance companies do not in any way require them to put OEM products back on the vehicle if an aftermarket part is available that is cheaper, but is considered to be as good of quality and can be guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. That's just the way the law is.

I have insurance now through Nationwide and pay a few extra bucks a month (less than $2 bucks per car a month) to require them to replace with OEM parts in either Comprehensive or Collision claims. I am actually having my windshield replaced today and it will be OEM Ford no questions asked. However, if I am ever in an accident and it is someone elses fault, I will have to file with my own insurance and have them subrogate the at fault party's insurance in order to get OEM covered.

Unless you know of a way to fight the law, you are unfortunately left with the aftermarket parts. That is of course unless you want to pay the difference. Sorry
The following users liked this post:
FX4life (06-13-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

State farm is required by law to use oem on all vehicles because of a lawsuit they lost years ago. Someone posted the links in a previous post. I've had much experience with it, as I work in a body shop. I've had many aftermarket parts end up in my stall, then get returned, and oem ordered. Even on an older car. Because the insurance was state farm.

You also have the right to refuse afterjunk parts as well. I see it on estimates all the time as a footnote, "customer declines the use of non oem parts. "
Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Insurance is only required to get you back to as close as you were before. So if you have a 3 year old truck and get damage to your door insurance company can go to a junk yard and find a 3 year old door to replace it. You can usually fight it and get brand new OEM parts-depreciation. At least with the aftermarket parts they will guarantee the parts for life.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Recycled and non OEM parts? Is your insurance smoking crack? Better yet is your agent on meth? Dude, if I was you I would fight it.
A long time ago some one hit my Infiniti g35 coupe and it was just my grille, hood, left head light, left fender, left wheel (rashed). I was horrified that my then baby was hit... The guy had been drinking and didn't want to call the police and he was in a company truck, but swore up and down he would pay for it, took pictures of EVERYTHING, got his insurance agents name and number and left. Anyway he didn't call for 3 days and wouldn't answer for those 3 days so my insurance was getting ready to have me search for body shops, so I did. Well the damage estimate was 4700 for parts 700 for prep and paint and another 400 for labor.........yeah I was not happy but glad I had a low deductible.. Then guess who calls? The guy who hit me haha he apologizes like crazy and says he is going to pay for everything just like he promised and that his insurance(geico) was already working on the claim and all they needed was to get my statement. Needless to say everything got fixed and looked like brand new again. 5800$+ yikes. And that's what it came to.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
State farm is required by law to use oem on all vehicles because of a lawsuit they lost years ago. Someone posted the links in a previous post. I've had much experience with it, as I work in a body shop. I've had many aftermarket parts end up in my stall, then get returned, and oem ordered. Even on an older car. Because the insurance was state farm.

You also have the right to refuse afterjunk parts as well. I see it on estimates all the time as a footnote, "customer declines the use of non oem parts. "
According to the PDF attachment found on jeffsters link this is not the case. Upon reading the PDF is says that if you insist on OEM parts and it increases the cost of the repair, then you pay the difference out of pocket.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

you don't seem well at all, maybe you need to see a doctor. if you are not hurt, maybe you are having nightmares from the wreck. tell them you can't have sex anymore, every time you close your eyes you see truck getting hit. a friends Dad got sued for that last reason. i was involved in wreck when i was in my 20s with a 58 yo lady and her husband sued me for $8k loss of love and affection and she was at fault. lawyers said good thing her kids were grown or what of sued for motherly duties. i would lawyer up.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parts by Insurance company