Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After many years of loyalty this 2013 platinum F-150 is probably going to be my last.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After many years of loyalty this 2013 platinum F-150 is probably going to be my last.

Long post but please help me. Skip to end for TLR

Long time Ford enthusiast. I have a 2013 platinum Ecoboost which is my 3rd ford truck even though I just cracked 30 years old. In the market for a Mustang for my fiance but now all is on hold as this is my last straw with Ford.

Bought the truck with 15K miles on it. Bought the extended warranty which was almost 4K because I live in FL and they are considered insurance policies here so they are way more expensive and you cannot buy them online or from anyone out of state.

At about 35K miles I noticed the 5 to 3 downshift squawk and loss of power. The dealer of course has never heard of it even though I brought them the TSB. Even with the TSB they still tried to tell me that its a "characteristic of the truck". I kept pressing it and the finally tried to fix it. First the additive, then they replaced the OD clutch packs, and now they are replacing the interminable shaft and some other stuff.

So this time that its in the shop its in for 6 different items.

5 to 3 downshift squawk
Rough idle
Multiple bugs inside of the speedo cluster
Complete defrost system inoperable
D / S running board doesn't retract for about 30 seconds
2 recalls

So theyre attempting to fix the tranny issue, they have fixed the running board issue and after I asked them multiple times they are fixing the recalls.

My problem is the defrost and the rough idle and speedo cluster... For now.

The defrost they are saying is a bad resistor inside of the P / S heated mirror glass. They are refusing to cover it because its technically "glass" and the ESP warranty doesn't cover glass. The rough idle they are saying is normal and is a how all Ecoboosts are. They said they tried another Ecoboost F150 on the lot and it does the same thing. So to me theyre basically saying the Ecoboost is complete junk. Ive built motors it is never normal for an engine to have a rough idle. And they're saying the speedo cluster isn't covered bucause the bugs are an outside element whatever that means. Shouldn't the speedo cluster be sealed? Well Ford said the lens is but not from the back. Still don't know how they got in there I hardly ever drive with my windows down.

At the insistence of my service adviser I called Ford corporate about them not wanting to cover the defrost / mirror. Ford told me EXACTLY "It is very odd that they are refusing to cover that specific item. We will get with them and either get it covered under the warranty or try to do a good faith coverage."

So I let a few days go by and my service manager calls and says they are still not covering the mirror. The rough idle is normal and come get my truck. I had to remind them once again about the recalls which they didn't do even though they are safety related.

I called Ford corporate and the lady acted like she didn't know what I was talking about even though I have a case number. Then she told me I cant get any kind of answer from her I have to talk to my service manager then she gave me the number of someone I have never heard of that is not my service manager. I plan to call again Monday and see if I can talk to someone else.

What should I do here? I love Ford trucks but this truck has me wanting to set it on fire. Its always some kind of problem. And half of the time its intermittent.

TL : DR - Ford refusing to complete defrost failure, Ford saying that the ecoboost engine idling rough is normal and all ecoboost engines do it. Ford refusing to cover multiple bugs inside of the speedo cluster.

Any suggestions or ideas please help me.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Trade the truck in to that dealer and get a different F150. Save yourself any potential future headaches and get the 5L.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:48 AM

Thanks Bravo,

i would hever trade a vehicle in. It's paid off so I would sell it myself.

I really want to get this figured out. I'm at the point if Ford doesn't make good on this 50K truck I'm done with ford. I've been a loyal Ford owner my entire adult life. 14 years. Lol.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you go to a different dealer? I would go in there tell the service manager to go #!@* himself and never set foot in that dealership again! Maybe have him start a few other Ecoboosts before you do to show him how they are supposed to run.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Thanks WIF. I always like to give people a chance but I'm at that point now.

the service manager even told me that the 5 to 3 downshift was a figure of my imagination and was a characteristic of the truck.

i said how can it be a characteristic of the truck if there's a frickin TSB from ford about he exact same issues.

im also wondering if it's because I'm taking it to an AutoNation Ford. Maybe I should go to a real ford.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Honestly that would be my first move, new dealer and log a complaint about the other dealer. But I also know contacting Ford is a waste. With all the things they have let the customers take it in the shorts, starting in 04 with the 5.4s it really is sad.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Ford has done a terrible job owning the ecoboost problems. It is really sad how they have treated f150 ecoboost owners. I would bet this goes down as a worse failure than the 6L diesel.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Part of your issue sounds like a poor dealership service department. The defrost issue is usually 99% due to a bad connection on the power rear slider. The Ecoboost likes to have new plugs every 30k miles. This usually fixes the rough idle issue. Bugs in the cluster is a new one for me and I don't see how this would be covered under a warranty. The lens does come off and can be cleaned or replaced. Is that where the bugs are?

Oh yeah, don't listen to Bravo3eco. He never will have a positive comment about the Ecoboost. In fact, I am surprised he even has a Ford.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo3eco
Ford has done a terrible job owning the ecoboost problems. It is really sad how they have treated f150 ecoboost owners. I would bet this goes down as a worse failure than the 6L diesel.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo3eco
Actually, I think the 6.4 may be worse than the 6.0. Also, you better get used to the Ecoboost line because your coveted 5.0 is about to be downsized to 4.8. Hopefully your ego can handle it.