Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aFe Power 6r80 Transmission Fluid Pan Review/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aFe Power 6r80 Transmission Fluid Pan Review/Issues

+Purchased from AutoAnything for a great price with free shipping.
-Magnetic Drain Plug was missing. Over-nighted from MFR.
+Install was straight forward except for the following: the fluid pickup extension that is supposed to fit on the original filter did not. Instructions say might not be required on newer models; mine is a 2013. Purchased new filter from O'Reilly's. Fluid pickup extension still did not fit this filter. Decided to use original filter without fluid pickup extension.
+Added approx. 3.5 gallons of AMSOIL Signature Series OE Fuel Efficient fluid. Test drove with no issues.
-Drove today for an extended period of time expecting to see a normal operating temperature 10-20 degrees lower than the OE 190-199F with stock pan and Trans Oil cooler. Temperature reached 190F, although it seemed to take significantly longer than normal which is a good thing.

Questions for the forum:
The whole reason for purchasing this $300+ pan (which looks fantastic and is well made) was to lower the temp of the transmission when I'm towing my Cobalt 232 in the Texas heat. Normal towing temp is around 203-206F. I was hoping to see a Max of 180F but with normal temps in the winter at least 190F I don't think the pan is going to help any.
1. Did I waste my money?
2. Is the pan simply going to prevent my towing temps from dipping into the low 200sF ranges? (I will follow up next summer with an answer)
3. Is not using a filter that fits the fluid pickup extension affecting the overall temp by not grabbing the coolest fluid towards the bottom of the pan?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

your transmission has a thermostat it's going to reach a hundred ninety degrees no matter what you do
The following users liked this post:
Twin snail putput (09-07-2020)
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't think 206 is a problem. Mine is usually 200 when towing my mastercraft x15, and towing my buddies heavier mastercraft X star. So maybe you did waste money lol
Foogie (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

add a stack plate cooler to the trans on the return side from the radiator so the radiator cools it to 190, the plate cooler drops it a little more and then you're good to go. the pan is going to prolong the life of the fluid because there's more of it but i don't think its going to have the desired cooling effect you're after.
Foogie (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Mine runs 199-205 routinely unloaded at 70 mph. That is the manufacturer specified range and hurts nothing.

I suspect this is a money waster. Your mpg may suffer because it will take longer to warm up. But you could be extending the life of the transmission, and it definitely makes fluid drains easier.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Foogie
+Purchased from AutoAnything for a great price with free shipping.
-Magnetic Drain Plug was missing. Over-nighted from MFR.
+Install was straight forward except for the following: the fluid pickup extension that is supposed to fit on the original filter did not. Instructions say might not be required on newer models; mine is a 2013. Purchased new filter from O'Reilly's. Fluid pickup extension still did not fit this filter. Decided to use original filter without fluid pickup extension.
+Added approx. 3.5 gallons of AMSOIL Signature Series OE Fuel Efficient fluid. Test drove with no issues.
-Drove today for an extended period of time expecting to see a normal operating temperature 10-20 degrees lower than the OE 190-199F with stock pan and Trans Oil cooler. Temperature reached 190F, although it seemed to take significantly longer than normal which is a good thing.

Questions for the forum:
The whole reason for purchasing this $300+ pan (which looks fantastic and is well made) was to lower the temp of the transmission when I'm towing my Cobalt 232 in the Texas heat. Normal towing temp is around 203-206F. I was hoping to see a Max of 180F but with normal temps in the winter at least 190F I don't think the pan is going to help any.
1. Did I waste my money?
2. Is the pan simply going to prevent my towing temps from dipping into the low 200sF ranges? (I will follow up next summer with an answer)
3. Is not using a filter that fits the fluid pickup extension affecting the overall temp by not grabbing the coolest fluid towards the bottom of the pan?
On question 3 I would think that the filter is not filtering because it's not seated all the way like it was stock. With the stock pan the filter sits on bottom of the pan and that holds it in place.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nickel_work87
On question 3 I would think that the filter is not filtering because it's not seated all the way like it was stock. With the stock pan the filter sits on bottom of the pan and that holds it in place.
This would be my concern.
Plus I am sceptical of cooling capacity of pan coolers. How much cool air can you get going through few tubes stuck under the truck in a area exposed to the heat coming off the rad, engine and exhaust pipes?

Here is a shameless copy and paste from power stroke guys.

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There's no such thing as a 4R110. There was a 4R100 and then a 5R110.

Most of you have read about my opinions on deep pans. For those who haven't, read on.

A deep pan is excellent for making the bottom of your truck look cool. That's all it does for you. It does NOT make the trans cooler, but it will make it take longer to get hot. Once it does get hot it will take longer to cool. I can't understand how that helps.

There is very little heat loss through the pan. You need fluid to move around the pan surface to transfer heat. I've measured the flow inside the pan, there is a pretty steady surface that "sticks" to the pan, and that blocks heat transfer.

Another thing to consider is where the pan is located. Ever get under a truck that's been running hard while the engine is still running? How about standing next to a running, hot truck? Do you feel nice cool air coming from underneath? I feel HOT air. I've measured the air temperature around the trans pan. It's often in the 230-250F range. How well will the pan cool the trans fluid when the air around it is hotter than the ATF? I seem to remember from my heat transfer classes that you can't cool something with something else that is hotter. That means that the expensive aluminum pan is not going to transfer much heat, but what little is does transfer will be from outside into the ATF!!!!

A big pan looks nice. If that's what you want it for, then go for it. If you expect it to cool the trans, or make the trans last longer, a better trans cooler would be MUCH more effective.

Last edited by mk99; 01-03-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update to original Post

Ok, So I've been running this pan for several months now and I'm happy with it. Originally I had added a bit too much fluid so after sucking a few ounces out hot and confirming with dipstick I am happy to say it's a good investment. If nothing else for the ease of future fluid changes and the looks. Certainly it does take way longer for the fluid to heat up to the normal 192-199F but I've seen no effect on fuel economy at all. I'm at 4000' elevation and am getting 19-21 HWY at 60-65 MPH on my work commute with the 5.0L Coyote.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by mk99
This would be my concern. Plus I am sceptical of cooling capacity of pan coolers. How much cool air can you get going through few tubes stuck under the truck in a area exposed to the heat coming off the rad, engine and exhaust pipes? Here is a shameless copy and paste from power stroke guys. Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky There's no such thing as a 4R110. There was a 4R100 and then a 5R110. Most of you have read about my opinions on deep pans. For those who haven't, read on. A deep pan is excellent for making the bottom of your truck look cool. That's all it does for you. It does NOT make the trans cooler, but it will make it take longer to get hot. Once it does get hot it will take longer to cool. I can't understand how that helps. There is very little heat loss through the pan. You need fluid to move around the pan surface to transfer heat. I've measured the flow inside the pan, there is a pretty steady surface that "sticks" to the pan, and that blocks heat transfer. Another thing to consider is where the pan is located. Ever get under a truck that's been running hard while the engine is still running? How about standing next to a running, hot truck? Do you feel nice cool air coming from underneath? I feel HOT air. I've measured the air temperature around the trans pan. It's often in the 230-250F range. How well will the pan cool the trans fluid when the air around it is hotter than the ATF? I seem to remember from my heat transfer classes that you can't cool something with something else that is hotter. That means that the expensive aluminum pan is not going to transfer much heat, but what little is does transfer will be from outside into the ATF!!!! A big pan looks nice. If that's what you want it for, then go for it. If you expect it to cool the trans, or make the trans last longer, a better trans cooler would be MUCH more effective.
The only issue with his theory is he is taking temps on a stationary truck and not moving. Moving will have cooler air flowing past the pan.

I'm not sure if it will be cooler or not just making a note that his whole theory isn't very good as air would be moving and not stagnant heated air around the pan.
BACK2GAS (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Deep oil pans Add very little additional cooling to your transmission. It does however take longer for the fluid to heat up or reach operating temp. Some will say they are a waste of money however in certain situations like yours I can see them being useful.

Your over all transmission temp will probably stay around 190F however when your pulling a load up hill on a hot day it will take longer for the transmission to heat up. Basicly it just takes longer for the transmission to heat up under a given load and in cases like yours can be helpful.

However this only delays the transmission from getting hot since there is more volume in the pan to distribute the heat created from the transmission. If you really want to reduce transmission temps a bigger cooler is what you need.

I know this is a old thread but figured it may be helpful to other members.

Quick Reply: aFe Power 6r80 Transmission Fluid Pan Review/Issues