Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aFe catback exhaust

Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Default aFe catback exhaust

Just ordered the stainless steel 3 inch catback from aFe for my 2012 Ecoboost (please hold the exhaust/EB comments - that argument has been "exhausted"). I looked at MBRP, Diamond Eye, Heartthrob, and Stainless Works before ultimately landing on the aFe.

My question is does anyone have experience with this 3 inch system? EVERY review I seem to find is the 4 inch. Seems most people are going with the 4 in almost all brands/systems. I read up and it seems that the 4 inch actually dynos worse than the 3 and loses low end torque. Also most exhaust manufactures state to achieve the best performance to only increase exhaust diameter by 1/4 to 1/2 inch over stock - 1/2 inch would be the 3 inch system. Another "tuning expert" site I browsed stated under 500 HP go with 3 inch and above 500 HP go with 4 inch. Even with my SCT tuner and the exhaust I will be under the 500 HP mark.

Basically the only recommended time to go bigger was strictly for sound. They say the 4 is a little louder than the 3. I know a big nasty 4 inch system looks better to some, but I felt for performance I'd stick with a 3.

So again, anyone have the aFe 3 inch system?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an AFE but I went with the 4" Mach Force XP Single. It doesn't seem to have caused any power loss but I have not had a baseline or post install dyno done, so who knows. I am very impressed with AFE's build quality, and the sound of the system is what I was looking for. It has a low growl at idle and with cruise set, but gets a little loud when in the throttle.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Yeah I didn't communicate that well and your reply reassured that.

The 4 inch does NOT cause a loss of power or torque when compared to stock. The 4 inch showed a decrease in torque vs the 3 inch. My bad on that.

Both are great systems I am sure. I hope the 3 inch is sufficient for my needs. I'll know this weekend...
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by etazeta
Yeah I didn't communicate that well and your reply reassured that.

The 4 inch does NOT cause a loss of power or torque when compared to stock. The 4 inch showed a decrease in torque vs the 3 inch. My bad on that.

Both are great systems I am sure. I hope the 3 inch is sufficient for my needs. I'll know this weekend...
I gotcha! Well good luck on the install and enjoy the new toys.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Having the 4 inch aFe I will tell you that you made the right choice going with a 3 inch.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brycicles
Having the 4 inch aFe I will tell you that you made the right choice going with a 3 inch.
Any specifics on why that is?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by etazeta
Any specifics on why that is?
Mainly the sound, it's just a constant Waaahhhhh-uhhh.... But when you hit cruising speed it's not that loud and there's no drone.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brycicles
Mainly the sound, it's just a constant Waaahhhhh-uhhh.... But when you hit cruising speed it's not that loud and there's no drone.
Yeah I anticipate the 3 inch being a little smoother sound. That was the only "advantage" to a 4 inch was being louder. I'd rather a little quieter version.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Just wanted to post an update since I got this installed.

Installation:

Removing the stock exhaust in one piece is definitely the most daunting part of this install. The hangers DO NOT want to come out of the rubber inserts. If you've spent anytime at all reading exhaust info on here you probably saw the advice to raise the rear end while doing this - yes, do that. Much easier to slide that sucker out.

I installed the new exhaust one piece at a time which proved easier as well. Also ended up spraying a little PAM on the rubber hangers so the posts pretty much slid right in. Tricky part is getting the post through the hanger while simultaneously joining the exhaust pieces.

All in all I did this alone in about two hours but two people would've cut that in half at least.

Sound:

I love it. It's not a V8 sound but I've never been much of a "pipes" guy as far as that goes. You'll see the phrase "rice burner" thrown around A LOT on here. Sorry V8 guys but that isn't true and you know it. The V8 sound and the turbo 6 sound are definitely different - but it's not a Civic with a muffler either. Little to no drone cruising at 50, 55, and 70. Not that I could really tell anyway.

Performance:

Way too early to tell, been on 10 minutes. Initial impression was good though. Response seems a little better and there's just no way it won't be noticeable with the larger more straight through design.

All in all I'm pleased. Next weekend I have a road trip from New Orleans to Memphis and back. I'll get a good idea then as it will have also had a week to "warm up".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aFe catback exhaust