Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding puddle lights

I have a platinum f150 and it had the tow mirrors with puddle lights (these are going to be up for sale) I replaced them for the regular mirrors but they dont have the puddle lamp, can I take the puddles off the tow mirors and put them on the ones I have now? I tried feeling around the inside of the new mirror and I cant find any wires.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by herrera805
I replaced them for the regular mirrors but they dont have the puddle lamp, ...
The regular mirrors you describe doesn't match the 2010 regular Platinum mirrors.

2010 Regular Platinum mirrors have Power Fold and Security Approach Lamps (sometimes called puddle lamps).

If you don't have Power Fold and if you don't have Security Approach Lamps, you don't have 2010 regular Platinum mirrors.

Last edited by SailorDon; 03-17-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM

Yes you are correct I dont have the platinum regular mirrors, I have platinum tow mirrors with the puddle lamp. the mirrors I bought are from a lariat. What I'm asking is can I take the puddles lights off the tow mirrors and put them on the regular lariat mirrors.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I wouldn't think this could be done. The puddle lamps are recessed in the mirror housing.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM

I have a platinum f150 and it had the tow mirrors with puddle lights (these are going to be up for sale) I replaced them for the regular mirrors but they dont have the puddle lamp, can I take the puddles off the tow mirors and put them on the ones I have now? I tried feeling around the inside of the new mirror and I cant find any wires.
1. You buy a Platinum F150 with tow mirrors with lights.
2. You buy Lariat regular mirrors without lights (but you want lights).
3. You replace the tow mirrors with lights with Lariat mirrors without lights.
4. Now you want to remove the lights from the tow mirrors with lights effectively converting them into tow mirrors with holes for lights.
5. Next you plan to drill light mounting holes in the regular Lariat mirrors (that probably have no wires) and mount the lights.
6. Then you plan to sell the tow mirrors with holes where the lights used to be.

That seems to be the long way around to a direct solution.
Why not buy KR or Platinum mirrors that already have the lights?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
1. You buy a Platinum F150 with tow mirrors with lights.
2. You buy Lariat regular mirrors without lights (but you want lights).
3. You replace the tow mirrors with lights with Lariat mirrors without lights.
4. Now you want to remove the lights from the tow mirrors with lights effectively converting them into tow mirrors with holes for lights.
5. Next you plan to drill light mounting holes in the regular Lariat mirrors (that probably have no wires) and mount the lights.
6. Then you plan to sell the tow mirrors with holes where the lights used to be.

Why not buy KR or Platinum mirrors that already have the lights?
:wack o:

I was thinking the same thing Don. I don't get it. Fly, sledgehammer, kill.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM

tow mirrors with lights

My new lariat mirrors that I bought for 150 bucks. No drilling required as you can see. I can just pull the cap out and put it in the tow mirror so I can sell them without holes. I just need to know if their is a way to wire in the puddles?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Why not buy KR or Platinum mirrors that already have the lights?[/quote]

Have you priced a set of platinum mirrors? they are Very expensive, I got the lariats for 150 bucks, If I can wire in the puddles great if not I'll just leave them alone and sell the tows with the puddles. I just thought I'd ask. Maybe someone on here had done it before or knows whats to do.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Have you priced a set of platinum mirrors? they are Very expensive, I got the lariats for 150 bucks,
No, I never priced a set of Platinum mirrors. They came with my Platinum F-150.

I guess you saved a bunch to go through all this trouble with Lariat mirrors.

I never looked at a set of Lariat mirrors, so I didn't know they had the plugged hole for the lights. I seems like you could remove the wire with light from your Platinum tow mirrors and thread them through the Lariat mirror housing and have a direct plug into the door where it was plugged in before.

Seeing the plugged hole in your Lariat mirror, I don't think Ford is going to give you the light wires with the price of copper as high as it is.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I'm about to get confused here. I have an XLT. Mine had the small mirrors (without the turn signal lights and the reflector) but they did have the knock-out for puddle lights. I bought a set of KR tow mirrors off ebay (they have the chrome top piece) and they do have the puddle lights and turn signal lights. I just switched them out and plugged them up. The turn signal lights work but the puddle lights don't (don't really care). I believe there is some extra wiring in the plug for the puddle lights, but if you had puddle lights to start with then I think they should work on the replacement mirros.

Quick Reply: Adding puddle lights