Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding exterior lights question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Triton

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default adding exterior lights question

I just picked up a new 2013 f150 about three weeks ago and started brainstorming things I'd like to do to it and figured it would be cool to stick a light bar/fog lights behind the grill considering there is tons of space behind it. What I can't seem to figure out is where I would be able to run my wires I to the cab for a switch. Has anyone wired a set of lights up and if so where did you run the wires through? Post pics if you can.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 PM
FlyFisher

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

I just ran wires for lights through the firewall last weekend. If you look at the driver side firewall from the engine compartment you'll see a large bundle of cables going thru the firewall by the steering linkage. From the cabin side, grab a flashlight and look at the firewall under the steering wheel, you'll see the bundle come thru. In that same rubber grommet that the bundle comes thru, you'll see a small nipple sticking out on the engine side, just above the bundle. Use a sharp box cutter or knife and cut an X in that small nipple and push the wires through from either side.

I ran my wires from the relay I installed by the battery, along the fender, and fished them thru the space in that plastic piece that bolts to the top of the firewall, just below the windshield, to get them from the passenger side to driver side safely. If I get a chance I will post some pics later when I get home.

Last edited by Driftboater; 04-11-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm usually not a "do a search" kind of poster, but seriously, there are a few really good threads about adding lights. I know this, because adding a light bar is on my to do list this summer.

Search in this forum, and the "general F150 discussion" forum using the term Rigid, Light bar, or generic light bar, and you will find the threads. They have lots of ideas, pictures, and tutorials. Many pictures of the wire grommet on the firewall.

Tim
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Triton

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I was leaning toward a light bar behind the grille, but after reading all of the threads, I'm not likely going to put it in the opening in the bumper like most people do. Also, it looks like most folks that have bought the Cree $150 ebay 20 inch light bar instead of the Rigid $800 version, have had good luck with them. I'm leaning toward the ebay one myself.

Tim
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Triton

Yeah I'm not gonna out it down there either. I have to have my plates out front and it would be in the way. I'm thinking behind the grill I just don't know how I'm gonna Mount the lights.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE TRITON
Yeah I'm not gonna out it down there either. I have to have my plates out front and it would be in the way. I'm thinking behind the grill I just don't know how I'm gonna Mount the lights.
That's when you get the Eco-Boost license plate mount! You re-locate your license plate to the drivers side black "bread loaf" and eliminate it from the center opening. If you do a search on EcoBoost license plate, you'll know what I mean. A lot of people do it, and I was almost one of them until I got my brush guard. I ended up having somewhere else to mount my light bar.

Good luck!!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Triton

I saw that as an option but I wanna keep things symmetrical. I'm in no rush so if I see someone else do it I'll have to check it out. I just have a set of strobes that I bought a year ago and never did anything with so I was just throwing the idea around. I really wanna get a bull bar but working a minimum wage job and having a loan to pay off doesn't allow me to go out and spend tons of money like I used to do.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a rubber gasket on the passenger side firewall that I ran mine through. It was already running wires in the cab so I just ran my wire along with it. I have yet to notice any problems with water leaks. It worked out nice given that the battery is on that side. Only problem is I had to run my switch up under the dash from the passenger side to the driver side. I mounted my switch to the right of the factory headlight switch (underneather the guage cluster). I have no idea what the specific part is called. I could get pics if needed.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI it was for a 30" LED bar i got from LINESIDELED.com using their wirign harness. It was only one wire into the cab.

Quick Reply: adding exterior lights question