Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activating remote start 2013 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Activating remote start 2013 F150

Just wanted to confirm a few things, I read all the threads about remote start. So if I just buy a key and get it programmed and cut at dealership along with them activating remote start I'll be good to go? I don't need the module unless I want longer reach with fob? And as long as I buy a oem key off of eBay it will work? Thanks
Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

That is correct. However, a dealer may not activate it without the module. Just going off of faint memory, but I seem that dealers have either refused to activate it (or say it can't be done/won't work), or maybe that IDS won't enable RS if the module isn't present. I don't recall exactly though. Most folks going this route just enable it themselves with Forscan.

I would call and talk to the dealer 1st. And see what they would charge to activate. An OBD adapter will cost between $30-$80 and Forscan is free.

As for the key, I would stick with an OEM Ford key, as I had issues with several cheap ebay/amazon keys. The RS portion worked, but none of them would start my truck with the ignition switch. As long as you have 2 original (or "master") keys, you can have the key cut anywhere that's willing to cut it and program it yourself.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In theory yes, but the range would likely suck if you don't at least pick up the ~$30 antenna that plugs in behind the glove box.

...the range still kinda sucks even with the antenna lol.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by WIF-150
Just wanted to confirm a few things, I read all the threads about remote start. So if I just buy a key and get it programmed and cut at dealership along with them activating remote start I'll be good to go? I don't need the module unless I want longer reach with fob? And as long as I buy a oem key off of eBay it will work? Thanks

Most, if not all, dealers will not activate Remote Start without the TPMS antenna. It is a required step in their procedure to check for the Antenna, and if missing they cannot continue. It's a $30 part on Ebay, I say get it, will not hurt anything.

If however you are activating it yourself with Forscan, then no problem, you can activate Remote Start without the antenna in place.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM

Ok another dumb question. Where do I get forscan? I have a Bluetooth obd that I use with my torque app, can I use that? Abd as far as range goes, without the module just using the four button fob, I should have the same range as unlocking doors roughly right?

Last edited by WIF-150; 01-04-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

www.forscan.org

Your BT dongle will probably work, but if it's a generic one, then they are hit or miss with Forscan sometimes. Forscan is free, so it won't cost you anything to download and try it.

As for the range without the antenna, my unlock/lock will typically work further than the RS. Not sure why that is, but it's not usually a big difference (2-3 steps when walking towards the truck usually). I've been intending to add the antenna, but I mostly use RS at home in the mornings. Truck is parked about 10 ft from the house so it works ok for me.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by WIF-150
Ok another dumb question. Where do I get forscan? I have a Bluetooth obd that I use with my torque app, can I use that? Abd as far as range goes, without the module just using the four button fob, I should have the same range as unlocking doors roughly right?
If your lucky. I couldn't stand the range anymore so I bought the extended antenna that I put up in the headliner. Range is mucho better.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Where is the best place guys have gotten a oem key online. I'm just gonna get the key have dealer cut and program and do the forscan myself. I've seen prices all over the place.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I got my factory remote start off Ebay for $125 with 2 keys. I programed the keys myself (I believe the instructions are in the manual, or go on Youtube) I got both keys cut at the local farmers market for $3.00. While I was getting my oil changed at the Quick Lane in the dealer, I asked the guy if he could use his IDS to activate it and he did it in literally 5 minutes. He just scrolled through the options and when he got to remote start he just clicked enable. He didn't even charge me. As far as people complaining about distance, I have never had an issue. I have started it from 150yrds which is about as far as I would ever use it anyway.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
I got my factory remote start off Ebay for $125 with 2 keys. I programed the keys myself (I believe the instructions are in the manual, or go on Youtube) I got both keys cut at the local farmers market for $3.00. While I was getting my oil changed at the Quick Lane in the dealer, I asked the guy if he could use his IDS to activate it and he did it in literally 5 minutes. He just scrolled through the options and when he got to remote start he just clicked enable. He didn't even charge me. As far as people complaining about distance, I have never had an issue. I have started it from 150yrds which is about as far as I would ever use it anyway.
Just curious but your QuickLane guys have an IDS?

Quick Reply: Activating remote start 2013 F150